The Student Room Group

Help needed to persuade my teacher!

Stupidly, my maths teacher has given me a grade 5 at gcse, despite that I got 6 on my mocks and was in a group for people targeted for level 7 at GCSE (i was in second set and top set was full) and had picked A-Level maths. Tomorrow I have got to meet up with my form tutor to discuss A-level choices and need to persuade my teacher to let me onto the course as I need it for university/apprenticeship. I was disgusted with my grade (although my teacher was new) and am resitting the gcse. Does anyone have any advice on how I can persuade my teacher to let me into the course as I need to be on it. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think politely explain the situation as you have here. You got a six in the mock, you were on track for a 7 and do not understand the thinking behind your grade. Explain your disappointment and your intention to retake. If that does not work try the head of sixth form.
Original post by tom58599
Stupidly, my maths teacher has given me a grade 5 at gcse, despite that I got 6 on my mocks and was in a group for people targeted for level 7 at GCSE (i was in second set and top set was full) and had picked A-Level maths. Tomorrow I have got to meet up with my form tutor to discuss A-level choices and need to persuade my teacher to let me onto the course as I need it for university/apprenticeship. I was disgusted with my grade (although my teacher was new) and am resitting the gcse. Does anyone have any advice on how I can persuade my teacher to let me into the course as I need to be on it. Thanks.

Show them all the prep work you've done :smile:

That would convince me ...
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Show them all the prep work you've done :smile:

That would convince me ...

Ok thank you I will do that, I have done plenty of prep work and hopefully that could help me!
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
I think politely explain the situation as you have here. You got a six in the mock, you were on track for a 7 and do not understand the thinking behind your grade. Explain your disappointment and your intention to retake. If that does not work try the head of sixth form.

Thank you, I didn’t think of trying the head of sixth form. I will have to put up a fight for it because I know that I’m deserving of a seven, not a five.
Ok thank you I will do that, I have done plenty of prep work and hopefully that could help me!

Good luck - tell us how you get on :smile:
Reply 6
Can I just ask if you did Further Maths GCSE or just Maths?

Some schools would be asking for a B in Further Maths as a requirement to progress to the A Level.

I think you need to be sure A Level Maths is a good choice for you. It will be a big step up from GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by nfhc
Can I just ask if you did Further Maths GCSE or just Maths?

Some schools would be asking for a B in Further Maths as a requirement to progress to the A Level.

I think you need to be sure A Level Maths is a good choice for you. It will be a big step up from GCSE.

No I didn’t do further maths and yes, lots of people have told me it’s a big step up from GCSE but I think if I don’t pick it just because of it being to hard then I will end up regretting it. I feel like actually have to experience how hard it is (if I was to change half way through) to not regret it because I hate the feeling of thinking you should have tried harder.
Show them your past papers, revision notes and explain the situation with your mock grades.Good luck!
Reply 9

Explain that you are resitting and suggest they give you a provisional place subject to you getting a 7 in your resit?
I’d agree with this. It’s something you need to be able to enjoy and succeed at. So you can’t just want it because you think you need it. You need to be really on top of it. You will need to aim for an 8/9 in the resit including knowing your tables backwards and practising like it’s going out of fashion
Reply 11
Original post by L-K
Explain that you are resitting and suggest they give you a provisional place subject to you getting a 7 in your resit?

Ok thank you this is a good idea I will also say that.
No I didn’t do further maths and yes, lots of people have told me it’s a big step up from GCSE but I think if I don’t pick it just because of it being to hard then I will end up regretting it. I feel like actually have to experience how hard it is (if I was to change half way through) to not regret it because I hate the feeling of thinking you should have tried harder.

Actually there isn't really any jump between GCSE and AS/A Level maths. You usually begin with recapping key topics from GCSE that are essential for A Level and then you are introduced to new topics such as integration, differentiation and logarithms.
Ok thank you this is a good idea I will also say that.

How did you get on OP?
Reply 14
Original post by Scotney
How did you get on OP?

Unfortunately they said there is no way I could do it, they practically that no matter what I do I still can’t do it although I know all the stuff a level 7 student would, the fact that I’m retaking and all the revision I was doing. The person that interviewed me was a bit of a prat to be honest but oh well maybe it was for the best. Not going to get annoyed over it, will just need to do really well on all my other A levels. Thanks for asking
Reply 15
Unfortunately they said there is no way I could do it, they practically that no matter what I do I still can’t do it although I know all the stuff a level 7 student would, the fact that I’m retaking and all the revision I was doing. The person that interviewed me was a bit of a prat to be honest but oh well maybe it was for the best. Not going to get annoyed over it, will just need to do really well on all my other A levels. Thanks for asking

I'm sure it was disappointing but what a great attitude you are showing.
I think your school have probably done you a favour as I really think it would have been a hard slog for you. Much better to choose other subjects and get good grades in those.
Do you plan to resit the GCSE?
Sorry to hear this but maths is always oversubscribed unfortunately. But I agree with @nfhc what a great attitude to take.
Scream at her.. you weren't given the opportunity to sit an exam where you were clearly discriminated against when they determined your result.
It's time to fight your ground and for what is rightfully yours unless she wants to continue with her discriminatory behaviour, in which instance I'd advise involving a lawyer.
Original post by nfhc
I'm sure it was disappointing but what a great attitude you are showing.
I think your school have probably done you a favour as I really think it would have been a hard slog for you. Much better to choose other subjects and get good grades in those.
Do you plan to resit the GCSE?

Why do you say that? We don't take Further Maths GCSE and have some of the best results in the country [state school btw].
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Why do you say that? We don't take Further Maths GCSE and have some of the best results in the country [state school btw].

Do you know how many people at your excellent school do well in Maths A Level with a 5 or 6 at GCSE?

Quick Reply

Latest