Should I do psychology at university to become a therapist in the UK?

Watch
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Right now, I'm not sure weather I want to be a clinical psychologist or a therapist. I mainly like giving people advice and helping them viewing the world differently so I'll probably be a therapist.But in either case, do I need to study psychology at uni to be a therapist or something else? I'm asking this because I can't find the answer on google and I dont know any therapists.

I guess a side question is given what I told you, do you think I should be a clinical psychologist or a therapist? im swaying more towards therapist though.
MadameRazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would do psychology. I googled it and it said an undergrad in psychology can get you into psychotherapy but I did find it difficult to actually find requirements. Is therapy different to psychotherapy? Also, if you’re swaying towards therapist, do that, as clinical psychology is so competitive that if you aren’t fully committed it won’t be worth it.
ucasguy17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
cousnelling seems like the path for you tbh. its basically what you described. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/counsellor
you do the psychology degree, experience then apply for a competitve, self funded doctorate. then your employed as a counselling psychologist

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...sychotherapist heres psychotherapist prospects
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Firstly, you don't need to study psychology undergrad if you only want to be a therapist or counsellor. Counselling training is its own pathway, and various other therapies will have their own training requirements. You may want to start with the BACP and UKCP websites to see more details. There are lots of different therapy trainings (CBT, psychodynamic, systemic, counselling, couples therapy).

Psychology, as taught in university is predominantly an academic subject that doesn't train you in anything itself. Most psychology graduates do not work in mental health or as therapists. It can be the first stage of a very long journey to becoming a practitioner psychologist (Clinical, Counselling, Forensic, Health etc) that requires substantial postgraduate study that a small number go onto to do. Some psychologists do conduct therapym with Clinical and Counselling psychologists being required to train in several approaches as part of their qualification. However, they also have to do a lot of other things in their training too, particularly research and psychometrics. If you just want to do therapy, this is not the best route.
Whatisizekiah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Basically to do anything within psychology with a psychology degree ur going to need to masters etc afterwards
username5393710
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I mean, if you have an interest in it you'll probably really enjoy a psychology degree as it looks at the whys behind why someone might present with certain emotional or behavioural needs.

Counselling you don't need a degree for, but having that BPS graduate membership will open a lot of doors for you and allow for career development in the future.

Have you considered the Counselling Psychology doctorates? I too have very similar interests to what you're saying and I'm current completing a Psychology degree (part-time distance) whilst I work full time. I do hope that I'll be able to take a year out so that I can start working towards my Level 2/3/4 diploma in counselling but at the same time I'm considering is Psychotherapy training would be better suited... problem is that's 4 years part-time and not offered anywhere near where I live.

Counselling Psychologists and Clinical Psychologists I've noticed are often advertised alongside each other for NHS vacancies. Maybe this will be more for you than Clinical?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (441)
56.25%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.75%

Watched Threads