The Student Room Group

I just got my second year results

I recently just got my second year results, and I got a 2:2, (53%), honestly, with everything that had been going on in my life due to this pandemic having to move back home, as well as other things that came along with this, I'm not sad but I wish I had gotten a better score.I was wondering if would still be possible for me to get a 2:1 in my final year and what do I need to do to achieve getting a 2:1 or a 1:2, or are my expectations too high?
This depends on a lot of different factors. How does your university weigh up 2nd and 3rd year? Are they equally weighted or is one considered more than the other? Many universities put in safety nets or similar policies due to the covid outbreak. Did your university do anything like this as this may affect your weighting (e.g. My university say they may consider solely 3rd year if it gets the student a better result)?

I think you should be proud of the work you've done in such difficult and weird times!
You can definitely get a 2:1 overall. Of course it depends on the weighing of second and third year, but second year is never the most important year. The weighting will either be 50/50 or third year being more important at 60 or 70%. If you can get consistent high 2:1s or even some firsts you’ll be able to bring up your grade. Even if it’s only 60%, it’s still a 2:1. Good luck.
Original post by MadameRazz
You can definitely get a 2:1 overall. Of course it depends on the weighing of second and third year, but second year is never the most important year. The weighting will either be 50/50 or third year being more important at 60 or 70%. If you can get consistent high 2:1s or even some firsts you’ll be able to bring up your grade. Even if it’s only 60%, it’s still a 2:1. Good luck.

Thank you. You don’t understand how much your reply means to me. I really don’t know how my grades are measured but we’ll see next year.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
This depends on a lot of different factors. How does your university weigh up 2nd and 3rd year? Are they equally weighted or is one considered more than the other? Many universities put in safety nets or similar policies due to the covid outbreak. Did your university do anything like this as this may affect your weighting (e.g. My university say they may consider solely 3rd year if it gets the student a better result)?

I think you should be proud of the work you've done in such difficult and weird times!

If I’m being completely honest I have no idea how they’re weighted. I really want to achieve a 2:1 overall I know I can do it but my mental health and motivation this academic year just went to hell. But thank you. I’ll ask my university how much does second year count but it’s been weird and hard.
Original post by BlackQueenMoni
If I’m being completely honest I have no idea how they’re weighted. I really want to achieve a 2:1 overall I know I can do it but my mental health and motivation this academic year just went to hell. But thank you. I’ll ask my university how much does second year count but it’s been weird and hard.

I completely understand your position and how much mental health can affect uni work from personal experience. As the previous poster said you can definitely get a 2:1 overall by working hard in 3rd year! I hope you're in a better place mentally now and that our 3rd years go a bit smoother than this year haha and if you ever need someone to talk to just shout.

Quick Reply

Latest