Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Why do you follow Christianity?

What convinces you
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Simple, because Jesus Christ is the only way. He is Life, He is the Way and He is the Truth. He holds the keys to Life and Death and ALL will bow down to him whether they like it or not, it's going to happen.

He took me out of my darkness and showed me the true meaning of God's love like no other. All praise to God. Amen.
(Original post by Benjiboy018)
Why do you follow Christianity?

What convinces you
SouthBridge24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Jesus is King 🙏🙏🙏 Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oh Lord, another of these threads?
MadameRazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by trapking)
Simple, because Jesus Christ is the only way. He is Life, He is the Way and He is the Truth. He holds the keys to Life and Death and ALL will bow down to him whether they like it or not, it's going to happen.

He took me out of my darkness and showed me the true meaning of God's love like no other. All praise to God. Amen.
This is quite small minded.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
He sacrificed himself so that YOU don't have to pay the punishment and go to hell.

God saw the total corruption that Satan brought to the world and so instead of just destroying all of us he had mercy on us and sent his only son to die for US so that WE can have a chance to get out of that darkness and go to heaven. This is why those who refuse to believe on the son are then punished in hell because you're essentially saying I don't care that Jesus went to hell for 3 days when he didn't need to do it so that YOU could be saved from the darkness of Satan.
Ok that is the first time I have ever heard it explained that actually made some sense.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Ok that is the first time I have ever heard it explained that actually made some sense.
God gave Jesus the authority to life and death and the authority to make final judgement on the world.

It's not God's wish that all perish in hell he wants us to repent and believe in the son so that we can go to heaven and be blessed under him. Not everyone will accept this truth because of self pride but once you start to see how you're suffering in anger and hatred then you will see that Jesus is the only person who can take you out of all that and give you peace.
gravitydefier
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The fact that Jesus knows our pain, he knows our happiness, he knows what it’s like to be human because he has walked the earth as a human being and then gave his life to save us from our sins despite the fact that he himself has never once sinned. That is love.

What convinces me personally? The evidence of what he has done for me in my life and in the lives of others. There are certain things (personal so I’m not gonna share on here) that could never have happened if it were not for him.
futurelawtrainee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't know how serious this is but in the context of a serious question, I was raised Catholic (however, my family were not strict and honestly adhered to a more Protestant-style living) and was baptised. I now am "Spiritual" however still hold a close bond with Christianity. I pray once in a while, usually in a Cathedral in my home town. I definitely believe there is a God-like spirit that is beyond us and our understanding at this given moment but humans have shown that they can achieve unthinkable things in an unthinkable amount of time, so I don't believe this will remain true forever.

I think Christianity has a lot of very important lessons about morality (see Jordan Peterson's lectures on Christianity) and I believe a lot of commonly followed religions should be studied and understood to inform us about life (that includes Christianity, Islam, Buddhism). To answer the opposite question, what really doesn't convince me is the Bible, this strangely "agreed" way of portraying stories from several people about Christianity and Jesus and God. However, in the time that Christianity was born, we were likely at the stage of human development where we required a belief system that would guide our moral beliefs, for whatever reason, and therefore the religion of Christianity was born. I think the fact that it is still upheld today is part of its convincing aspects but also that the teachings that the religion offers are also really important and have previously changed people very radically for the better (to some extent).
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by gravitydefier)
The fact that Jesus knows our pain, he knows our happiness, he knows what it’s like to be human because he has walked the earth as a human being and then gave his life to save us from our sins despite the fact that he himself has never once sinned. That is love.

What convinces me personally? The evidence of what he has done for me in my life and in the lives of others. There are certain things (personal so I’m not gonna share on here) that could never have happened if it were not for him.
Or maybe it was just God, not Jesus.
gravitydefier
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ultimateradman)
Or maybe it was just God, not Jesus.
You’re entitled to believe whatever you want to, I’m not gonna force you to believe what I do.
Visual_Learner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well for starters the fact I have a lot of freedom barring anything illegal.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by futurelawtrainee)
I don't know how serious this is but in the context of a serious question, I was raised Catholic (however, my family were not strict and honestly adhered to a more Protestant-style living) and was baptised. I now am "Spiritual" however still hold a close bond with Christianity. I pray once in a while, usually in a Cathedral in my home town. I definitely believe there is a God-like spirit that is beyond us and our understanding at this given moment but humans have shown that they can achieve unthinkable things in an unthinkable amount of time, so I don't believe this will remain true forever.

I think Christianity has a lot of very important lessons about morality (see Jordan Peterson's lectures on Christianity) and I believe a lot of commonly followed religions should be studied and understood to inform us about life (that includes Christianity, Islam, Buddhism). To answer the opposite question, what really doesn't convince me is the Bible, this strangely "agreed" way of portraying stories from several people about Christianity and Jesus and God. However, in the time that Christianity was born, we were likely at the stage of human development where we required a belief system that would guide our moral beliefs, for whatever reason, and therefore the religion of Christianity was born. I think the fact that it is still upheld today is part of its convincing aspects but also that the teachings that the religion offers are also really important and have previously changed people very radically for the better (to some extent).
Baptism (burial of "old man") is supposed to go hand-in hand with calling on God to receive His Spirit (see Acts 2v4, 38-39 for details), the new Life. Until you get that you are still what God calls "carnal", "in the flesh" . . you have your own spirit but not His Spirit within, that's why God is still "beyond your understanding", the original Church knew better . . .
"as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God has revealed them to us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Cor. 2:9-10)

Nature is also a teacher . . . people that want to receive are attracted to people that want to give . . . like bees and flowers, also the electricity holds the pollen while the bee flies about.

Romans 1:20 "the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse".

God wants to give his Spirit.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Until you get that you are still what God calls "carnal", "in the flesh" . . you have your own spirit but not His Spirit within, that's why God is still "beyond your understanding", the original Church knew better . . .
You can also be carnal even after being born again. In fact the Bible talks about many Christians whose end is destruction because they are still carnally minded thus making them enemies of the cross.

Having a form of godliness and yet denying it's power.
Last edited by trapking; 6 months ago
Kindred-122
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

And when will this happen ? When should I put my running shorts on to bow to someone ? Yk gotta prepare myself 😳 lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (453)
14.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (427)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.07%
Loneliness (263)
8.59%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.37%

Watched Threads