username5099654
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have been accepted to King Edward VI Camp Hill grammar school for girls but i am unsure whether i should go or not. I was originally going to go to this other comprehensive school i like, but after i was offered a place at the grammar school, i was unsure.
Which school is best for my A-levels? Which is best for applying to Uni?
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
if u like the comprehensive, stay there
don't think it makes that much of a diff. plus being top at a comprehensive school is better than being mediocre in a top school. just imo for unis
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 8 months ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
which one is closer / easier to get to?
what was the reason you applied there - is that reason still valid?
what are their respective results like?
do both offer all the A levels you want to take?
There is no difference in terms of getting a uni place between comp and grammar - it will be down to the individual schools as to how much support they offer.
Do the websites for each school publish a list of leavers destinations - that can give an idea of where they have experience of sending students
jas149
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I would definitely go to that grammar school. From what I've seen, grammar school students tend to outperform many comprehensive and private school students. But of course it's not just because the teaching is better. You also have to take into account that those students tend to be more motivated since obviously it's difficult to even pass the entrance exams
username5099654
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
which one is closer / easier to get to?
what was the reason you applied there - is that reason still valid?
what are their respective results like?
do both offer all the A levels you want to take?
There is no difference in terms of getting a uni place between comp and grammar - it will be down to the individual schools as to how much support they offer.
Do the websites for each school publish a list of leavers destinations - that can give an idea of where they have experience of sending students
It takes around the same time to get to each school. And they both have excellent results but the grammar school is better, i guess...
But the comprehensive school does a pre-medical course that the grammar on doesn't do and i defo want to do medicine in uni.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Go to whichever school you think you'll be happy at and think caters more to your needs.
I turned down a selective sixth form (after sitting their entrance exams and interviews) for a comprehensive school and I've never regretted that choice. Ultimately, your success depends on your work ethic, not the name or status of your school. If you want to do well and put in the effort, you will do well wherever you're at.

In terms of uni applications, I don't think it makes much of a difference.
starinthenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
ok so my best friend goes to the sixth form there they are VERY competitive they all have two tuitions at least on top of everything but its worth it because 50% of biology a lvels applicants get a*a i really wanna follow in ur/her footsteps if you do goto camp hill
starinthenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
overall depends on the comprehensive tho like how good is it i mean if you live in bham camp hill is the top school there especially for medicine
username5099654
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Go to whichever school you think you'll be happy at and think caters more to your needs.
I turned down a selective sixth form (after sitting their entrance exams and interviews) for a comprehensive school and I've never regretted that choice. Ultimately, your success depends on your work ethic, not the name or status of your school. If you want to do well and put in the effort, you will do well wherever you're at.

In terms of uni applications, I don't think it makes much of a difference.
I heard that grammar school students do better in university. Is that true?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Geekgirl2810)
I mean from my own experience, it makes no difference. I've been to state schools my whole life and I'm one of the top in my year group (I study dentistry). I know people who went to grammar/ private schools who got lower grades than I did at GCSE and A Level (btw I'm not saying this to brag, It's more to let you know that grammar schools are not the be all and end all of everything, your work ethic is far far more important!).

If you want to go to the grammar school then of course there's no problem at all, but if the only thing stopping you from going to the comprehensive is because it's not grammar, then there's no need to stress about it. As long as the comprehensive provides adequate teaching and student support, you should be fine
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Don't forget that top schools and universities only produce better results because they only take the brightest students in the first place.

If a student has a good work ethic and is motivated to do well, they will do well wherever they study. Sometimes you can have access to more resources and different types of tuition in a grammar school, but I've also seen (and indeed attended myself) some brilliant state schools.

Don't make your decision based on the fact you think grammar is better. Think about which could be better for you regarding location, where your friends are going, subjects that are offered, etc.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jas149)
I would definitely go to that grammar school. From what I've seen, grammar school students tend to outperform many comprehensive and private school students. But of course it's not just because the teaching is better. You also have to take into account that those students tend to be more motivated since obviously it's difficult to even pass the entrance exams
That's not true - you need to compare students of the same ability. I've taught in both
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Geekgirl2810)
No it's not - is one of your options to stay where you were in Year 11? That tends to work best as teachers know you already

Otherwise go to your local good school - GS is not 'better' [I've taught in both]
starinthenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
That's not true - you need to compare students of the same ability. I've taught in both
those with the same ability tend to get more opportunities in a grammar and so do better? tbh depends on the grammar school and the comprehensive ur comparing cuz camp hill is like one of the best in the country then aston grammar nobodies ever heard of
Last edited by starinthenight; 8 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 1hhh)
those with the same ability tend to get more opportunities in a grammar and so do better? tbh depends on the grammar school and the comprehensive ur comparing cuz camp hill is like one of the best in the country then aston grammar nobodies ever heard of
No - not true - Camp Hill sixth form progress is below average according to the DfE performance tables

https://www.compare-school-performan...cordionstate=0
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No - not true - Camp Hill sixth form progress is below average according to the DfE performance tables

whats progress score
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
whats progress score
"The progress scores in the performance tables show the progress that students in that institution made between key stage 4 and level 3 qualifications (excluding tech levels), compared with the actual progress made by students nationally who had similar levels of attainment at key stage 4"
{from https://assets.publishing.service.go...ngs__2019.pdf]

This means that, for example, a GCSE grade 7 student did less well than at other Sixth forms'
starinthenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

yes for obvious reasons why would the students need to progress when they are already very clever because of the entry requirements where the students get 8s and 9s may find a levels harder
i might be slightly biased i go to a grammar but used to go to a comprehensive for yr 7
Last edited by starinthenight; 8 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 1hhh)
yes for obvious reasons why would the students need to progress when they already very clever because of the entry requirements
i might be slightly biased i go to a grammar but used to go to a comprehensive for yr 7
That's not what it means - it meas a student with, for example, a grade 7 GCSE will do worse in the Sixth Form at Camp Hill than another school!
username5099654
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I mean from my own experience, it makes no difference. I've been to state schools my whole life and I'm one of the top in my year group (I study dentistry). I know people who went to grammar/ private schools who got lower grades than I did at GCSE and A Level (btw I'm not saying this to brag, It's more to let you know that grammar schools are not the be all and end all of everything, your work ethic is far far more important!).

If you want to go to the grammar school then of course there's no problem at all, but if the only thing stopping you from going to the comprehensive is because it's not grammar, then there's no need to stress about it. As long as the comprehensive provides adequate teaching and student support, you should be fine
Thank u so much for ur help! xxx
I think i have an idea now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
21.76%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (83)
48.82%
I'm unsure (50)
29.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed