First drive after passing test

Watch
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, first post as a fully licensed driver!

I passed my test on 27/8/20 and had my first solo drive yesterday, I'd been so excited as it was what I wanted for so long, but as soon as I sat in the car I became incredibly nervous. It all hit me at once that I'm responsible for what happens in this car and there's no one here to help me now, but I did manage to talk myself into doing the drive after a few minutes. It was only a short drive to make sure I knew the route to work and back, and it wasn't a perfect drive, but I managed it without incident.

My sister wants a lift later and I can feel myself getting nervous again, and it feels so silly as I finally have what I've been working towards, and I can't seem to be happy about it? I know it will likely go with time but I'm curious to know what others here were like just after you passed your test? If you were nervous, how long did it take you to become comfortable?

Thanks!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by overalltea)
Hi all, first post as a fully licensed driver!

I passed my test on 14/8/20 and had my first solo drive yesterday, I'd been so excited as it was what I wanted for so long, but as soon as I sat in the car I became incredibly nervous. It all hit me at once that I'm responsible for what happens in this car and there's no one here to help me now, but I did manage to talk myself into doing the drive after a few minutes. It was only a short drive to make sure I knew the route to work and back, and it wasn't a perfect drive, but I managed it without incident.

My sister wants a lift later and I can feel myself getting nervous again, and it feels so silly as I finally have what I've been working towards, and I can't seem to be happy about it? I know it will likely go with time but I'm curious to know what others here were like just after you passed your test? If you were nervous, how long did it take you to become comfortable?

Thanks!
You will get used to it. Maybe ask your sister not to talk so you can concentrate fully if you find silence helpful.

Being nervous is perfectly normal, but you've satisfied the DVSA enough to pass the test which shows you are a safe driver.

Phone up your instructor and ask for maybe a 2-hour lesson/drive in your own car if you find it might help? Or how about PassPlus?
Danta0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I passed today, 02/09 and tried to drive my own car. I understand the feeling of nerves as I completely have it aswell. My instructor advised me to keep driving everyday as you’ll get used it. It also helps you to get use to your car which I’m currently trying to do with mine, biting point and clutch different etc
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Totally normal, it's a huge shift to know you're 100% in control with no one else in the car to guide you. You did the right thing going for a short spin, just keep doing it otherwise the anxiety can grow.

And this is just my 2p but i think expecting people who have just passed to give lifts is a v selfish & inconsiderate thing to do and i'd directly tell them that. Non drivers get some funny ideas...

"Can you drive me to this place 10 miles away?"

"Do you know exactly how to get there and what turnings to take?"

"Well, no?"

"THEN HTF DO YOU THINK I MAGICALLY KNOW!?!" I passed a test to safely control a car, not navigate the fking country.
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Some great advice here, thanks all. I've driven to work and back a few times, still getting used to my car (far less forgiving than my instructor's car) so still not totally confident yet. Will work on it :crossedf:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.46%
No (194)
78.54%

Watched Threads