4 A-levels and a part time job, is it manageable?

Watch
SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths and psychology (although i'm only doing AS in that). I want to get a part time job working about 10hrs a week but lots of people are saying 4 a-levels is already too much never mind a job on top especially because i'm not great at organisation or time limits. I really don't know what to do because I want to save up money for future uses. What do you think?

I'm back at school tomorrow for 2 induction days before starting next week monday. Can't wait for my mental health to go down the drain again. Here we gooo

Thankyou! <3333
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That is a lot. My school’s sixth form even went as far as actively discouraging students from getting jobs as it would be too much on top of a levels, especially four. The job market is also pretty terrible right now, you think you can get a part time job that perfectly suits your needs as a student?
Hardy_Breloom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Be very wary of burning yourself out. Some people have no choice but to work part time whilst studying, if you have a choice then I'd urge you to focus on your course. Burn-out can creep up on you and getting out of it is a challenge in itself, especially when you have so many commitments.
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
That is a lot. My school’s sixth form even went as far as actively discouraging students from getting jobs as it would be too much on top of a levels, especially four. The job market is also pretty terrible right now, you think you can get a part time job that perfectly suits your needs as a student?
damn, i've applied to a few places but I'm still waiting on replies as i only sent them out yesterday. honestly i'm not sure i was hoping to adjust a schedule around it and make it work
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hardy_Breloom)
Be very wary of burning yourself out. Some people have no choice but to work part time whilst studying, if you have a choice then I'd urge you to focus on your course. Burn-out can creep up on you and getting out of it is a challenge in itself, especially when you have so many commitments.
I'll make sure to take days off if I do go through with it. I do have a choice but I hate asking for stuff from my mum and I'd rather save and get it. I think I'll try it out and see
Kait2005
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SmartUnicorn)
damn, i've applied to a few places but I'm still waiting on replies as i only sent them out yesterday. honestly i'm not sure i was hoping to adjust a schedule around it and make it work
wow ur british and say damn?
Hardy_Breloom
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'll make sure to take days off if I do go through with it. I do have a choice but I hate asking for stuff from my mum and I'd rather save and get it. I think I'll try it out and see
The other thing that you're going to have to bear in mind is that unemployment is increasing greatly at the moment, compounded with that is the fact that employers are weary of hiring students at the best of times. An employer needs to know that you can be relied upon, and will most likely want someone flexible and with plenty of experience. That isn't to say that it's going to be impossible to find a job, but finding one will take up a lot of time and effort that could be put into your course.
Ellam-j1017
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It really depends on you and how much you can manage. Personally, I’m doing 4 a levels, an EPQ and a few essay comps, and I have a part time job waitressing/bar tending, so it can be done. However, that’s what works for me. Some of my friends have their plates full with their a levels. I would recommend waiting a few months just to see how you handle it, then that way if its not too much, you dont already have the commitment of a job. If you feel you can manage a job, make sure it is a zero hour contract and has flexible hours.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths and psychology (although i'm only doing AS in that). I want to get a part time job working about 10hrs a week but lots of people are saying 4 a-levels is already too much never mind a job on top especially because i'm not great at organisation or time limits. I really don't know what to do because I want to save up money for future uses. What do you think?

I'm back at school tomorrow for 2 induction days before starting next week monday. Can't wait for my mental health to go down the drain again. Here we gooo

Thankyou! <3333
If your organisation/timing is not good, I wouldn’t recommend taking on a job.
4 A-Levels is hard enough on its own and don’t forget you also have to do a personal statement, other in school activities and sometimes stay behind after school for extra-sessions that your teacher may plan for the whole class.
nightloc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yeah it is manageable (depending on the hours). I do 4 a levels and at 1 point had 2 part time jobs but honestly 10 hours may be too much (depending on how the hours are spread over the days) because it can be exhausting if you don't have a day off
Last edited by nightloc; 4 months ago
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellam-j1017)
It really depends on you and how much you can manage. Personally, I’m doing 4 a levels, an EPQ and a few essay comps, and I have a part time job waitressing/bar tending, so it can be done. However, that’s what works for me. Some of my friends have their plates full with their a levels. I would recommend waiting a few months just to see how you handle it, then that way if its not too much, you dont already have the commitment of a job. If you feel you can manage a job, make sure it is a zero hour contract and has flexible hours.
Thats amazing!! how do you manage to balance everything? <33
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Personally, if you have a choice to work (as opposed to necessity) I wouldn't. Especially if you're knocking out FOUR A-levels.

If anything I'd say it is manageable at AS level but once you hit A2, no chance. I'd say wind down the work and focus on your studies for that year.

It's important to prevent burnout but to also look at your own approach towards things. You say yourself that you aren't good at organisation/ time limits. Bare this in mind but also try and iron that issue out. It will cause you problems not only on your course NOW but at university if you chose to go onto uni in the future.

If you need help with organisational/study skills a good place to start is Tony Buzan's books. He does a lot on study skills
Ellam-j1017
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thats amazing!! how do you manage to balance everything? <33
It’s honestly because I’m really passionate about my studies. I’m doing history, politics, RS and art, and I have a genuine interest and passion in those subjects, so doing the work isn’t as time consuming or arduous. Same with the EPQ, I’m super interested in what I’m writing it on, so I can cover the work quite quickly. The Essay Competitions, same thing, as well as the fact that they were more like short bursts of intense work, to get them in on the deadlines. I’ve only received results from one out of the three so far, and I was shortlisted in the competition, so the excitement from that made up for any stress writing the essay caused me.

As for my job, it’s super chill and flexible. Over the holidays I would work a few 8 hours shifts a week, though I’ll probably only do one a week during school. The place I’m at hires a lot of teens and uni students, so my boss is really flexible and understanding about fitting work in around studying.

Really the most important thing is to enjoy what you’re doing. I know if I was doing science and maths, which I dislike, I would not be able to do as much as I do. I can work quickly and efficiently with my subjects, which means they can be paired with a flexible part time job.
Winter16
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can't really speak because I've not started my A Levels yet, but from what I've heard you should be fine if you work on time management skills and organisation. I'm planning on doing 4 a levels and (when covid's over) 27+ hours of ballet training per week, so here's hoping it's possible!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Thankyou! <3333
Honestly, it sounds like too much and could have a bad effect on your mental health plus it would be better to get higher grades in 3 than more average grades in 4.

You don't need psychology even for a psychology degree so you could drop that one and not close any doors. Or you could start all 4 subjects with a view to giving one up by Christmas
bacter1a
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Thankyou! <3333
I actually did this last year but my AS was in spanish, I found it manageable but at times definitely stressful. Be careful with your contract as mine was a 10 hour contract but i ended up working 30 hours some weeks when we were low on staff and they gave me no choice. Which is wrong btw if your contract is 10 hours and they try to pressure you into doing more, just do what you find is right. It is hard but if you are a hard worker it's not impossible!
The Torrent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I mean it seems really clear to me.

Keep the job for now, and I if the pressure builds up too much or if u start doing badly, you can just drop it.

If you don’t have it yet, wait a few weeks and see how busy you are. If you got loads of time get the job, otherwise don’t.

There’s no point you dropping it to ‘focus on your studies’ but then having loads of free time because your caught up on all your work when you could have been working, getting work experience to write on ur cv, getting money, etc etc.
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Honestly, it sounds like too much and could have a bad effect on your mental health plus it would be better to get higher grades in 3 than more average grades in 4.

You don't need psychology even for a psychology degree so you could drop that one and not close any doors. Or you could start all 4 subjects with a view to giving one up by Christmas
true, my mum isn't letting me drop psychology now because she thinks i'll fail maths. we have until the end of september to make any subject drops/changes
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 4 months ago
true, my mum isn't letting me drop psychology now because she thinks i'll fail maths. we have until the end of september to make any subject drops/changes
It's not really her decision to make, if you want to drop psychology then drop it.
randommedic2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Thankyou! <3333
If you want to know whether it's possible, the answer is yes! I managed to hold down two jobs (I only worked ~9 hours a week though and one was as a librarian so i got time to do my own work) and do maths, biology, chemistry, an AS History and an EPQ. I also had a fair few commitments outside of school but the way to do it is to manage time efficiently. You will have to get better at organisation, but if you really want to do it, organisation is something that can be trained. It's your decision to make at the end though, but don't compromise your mental health. You could try it until October break and see if you're able to maintain it comfortably and then go from there?

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads