Would this be a financially possible thing to do

Watch
Silxnt1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would it be financially possible, though not entirely wise, to start paying monthly for a supercar (totalling around the 150k-300k price range) whilst starting work as a junior doctor in the NHS (from FY1 and on)?

Just hypothetically

And also, before anyone asks;
No, I'm not just going into Medicine for the money.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Silxnt1)
Would it be financially possible, though not entirely wise, to start paying monthly for a supercar (totalling around the 150k-300k price range) whilst starting work as a junior doctor in the NHS (from FY1 and on)?

Just hypothetically

Depends on how much you'll be paying towards it. If the car is depreciating in price (as most cars do) then you'll be metaphorically throwing your hard-earned money down the drain.

Note that the salary of an FY1, if you're not doing on-calls (and you don't get to choose) is around £1,400 - £1,500 after tax, pensions and student loans. If you are doing on-calls it'll be £1,800 - £2,000 depending on the intensity of the on-calls.

P.S. Most doctors (including senior doctors, let alone junior) drive relatively old beat-up cars. Me included. What's the point, when most hospital car parks are literally a gravel pit or a muddy field.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on how much you'll be paying towards it. If the car is depreciating in price (as most cars do) then you'll be metaphorically throwing your hard-earned money down the drain.

Note that the salary of an FY1, if you're not doing on-calls (and you don't get to choose) is around £1,400 - £1,500 after tax, pensions and student loans. If you are doing on-calls it'll be £1,800 - £2,000 depending on the intensity of the on-calls.

P.S. Most doctors (including senior doctors, let alone junior) drive relatively old beat-up cars. Me included. What's the point, when most hospital car parks are literally a gravel pit or a muddy field.
I mean it's not only going to be used drive to hospital, some people just like the prospect of owning a supercar in the first place (also to show off).

What about a less expensive car like a Tesla Model S? Would that be a (more) reasonable expectation?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean it's not only going to be used drive to hospital, some people just like the prospect of owning a supercar in the first place (also to show off).
:lol: What's the point when as a junior, junior doctor you'd have minimal time to show it off, or use it for track days etc.?

You'd be stuck at the hospital, working long hours and using the remaining time to rest and recuperate.

What about a less expensive car like a Tesla Model S? Would that be a (more) reasonable expectation?
Maybe, but I have only yet seen one doctor who drives a very expensive car (BMW i8) - to me anyway, it may not be expensive to you!

Most of my registrar colleagues (in fact all of my registrar colleagues) drive modest saloons / hatchbacks that's at least >5 years old.

And we have more time to show off :rofl:

P.S. It's your money - feel free to do what you like! You don't have to ask...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago

Just hypothetically

Why not work it out how much it costs to borrow that amount and then compare it to your Fy1 salary?
There are lots of car finance calculators.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
:lol: What's the point when as a junior, junior doctor you'd have minimal time to show it off, or use it for track days etc.?

You'd be stuck at the hospital, working long hours and using the remaining time to rest and recuperate.
I didn't mention *who*, in particular, to show it off to. It could be your own family, in which case you *would* have time to show it off to them, especially if you're driving back home every day. It could be your friends who live near you, or who you hang out with in your free time. It doesn't take very long at all to show something off :lol:

Besides, if you really want it and it's your main goal, what's not to say that you couldn't eventually achieve it if you put your mind to it?
And, like you said, it's your money so you should spend it as you wish.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Why not work it out how much it costs to borrow that amount and then compare it to your Fy1 salary?
There are lots of car finance calculators.
I've seen various sources showing different salaries for FY1s.
If you're a doctor, are you able to inform me round about what you earn/earned as an FY1?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't mention *who*, in particular, to show it off to. It could be your own family, in which case you *would* have time to show it off to them, especially if you're driving back home every day. It could be your friends who live near you, or who you hang out with in your free time. It doesn't take very long at all to show something off :lol:

Besides, if you really want it and it's your main goal, what's not to say that you couldn't eventually achieve it if you put your mind to it?
And, like you said, it's your money so you should spend it as you wish.
Exactly, so why ask in the first place? Are you not going to be buying a house when you're slightly older?

Do not overestimate what you earn as a junior doctor - yes it's money but you'll need to pay the GMC, for post-grad exams, for specialty portfolios, for the MPS / MDU etc.

As I said, you can live frugally and have a supercar. It's up to you!
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will probably need a large deposit, and very expensive insurance - I doubt that you can afford it. Supercars depreciate a lot, and need maintenance. Personally, I'd sort a house first. Do a few track days to get your fix.

I own two supercars, both bought secondhand, without debt. Whilst buying new gives you a warranty, you lose an absolute fortune in depreciation. In the UK, a supercar is wasted, IMO - you are being watched.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
Exactly, so why ask in the first place?
I asked whether it would be financially possible to achieve it *from the start* (i.e. as soon as you begin working as an FY1). In the previous reply I was talking about achieving it *eventually* (i.e. after more experience/time in the career). They're two different things.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
If you're a doctor, are you able to inform me round about what you earn/earned as an FY1?
At what stage in your education are you?
With the amount of money you are intending to borrow, then the answer becomes elf evident of how much you would be able to support.
I believe ecolier could give you more accurate ways to own a supercar similar to his if you have your account details to hand.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
At what stage in your education are you?
With the amount of money you are intending to borrow, then the answer becomes elf evident of how much you would be able to support.
I believe ecolier could give you more accurate ways to own a supercar similar to his if you have your account details to hand.
Just finished A Levels
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am a doctor. I don't think 999tigger is a doctor.

The salary is published online, and I have reproduced it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6026828 (all before tax)

I asked whether it would be financially possible to achieve it *from the start* (i.e. as soon as you begin working as an FY1). In the previous reply I was talking about achieving it *eventually* (i.e. after more experience/time in the career). They're two different things.
Depends on your specialty, and whether you choose to stay in the NHS or work privately (if there is such an opportunity).

In my specialty for example, consultant working privately can earn up to £200 per hour (social hours during M-F 9-5) so that's a yes.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You will probably need a large deposit, and very expensive insurance - I doubt that you can afford it.
By "I doubt you can afford it", are you referring to junior doctors with regards to their starting salary?
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
I am a doctor. I don't think 999tigger is a doctor.

The salary is published online, and I have reproduced it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6026828 (all before tax)

Depends on your specialty, and whether you choose to stay in the NHS or work privately (if there is such an opportunity).

In my specialty for example, consultant working privately can earn up to £200 per hour (social hours during M-F 9-5) so that's a yes.
I'll have a look at that link.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll have a look at that link.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
You can estimate this by looking at when I joined TSR!
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You will probably need a large deposit, and very expensive insurance - I doubt that you can afford it. Supercars depreciate a lot, and need maintenance. Personally, I'd sort a house first. Do a few track days to get your fix.

I own two supercars, both bought secondhand, without debt. Whilst buying new gives you a warranty, you lose an absolute fortune in depreciation. In the UK, a supercar is wasted, IMO - you are being watched.
What supercars do you own?
And what did you mean by 'you are being watched'?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By "I doubt you can afford it", are you referring to junior doctors with regards to their starting salary?
Yes.
Silxnt1
Rep:
?
You can estimate this by looking at when I joined TSR!
Based on that alone, I'd assume you're in your early 30s?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd worry more about parking in a hospital car park - a flashy car will attract 'damage'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (127)
14.68%
I'm not sure (39)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (261)
30.17%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (416)
48.09%

Watched Threads