Eat Out To Help Out Ends - Sunak's Legacy

Watch
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A great scheme has now ended. May Chancellor Rishi Sunak come up with more.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A moderately sensible idea with good intent badly executed.

Fast food chains should have been excluded, as I resent my taxes subsidising KFC and McDonalds. It should have had regional variations and in some tourist areas been September and October, not August when they can be full without help. I would not want more obesity to be part of the legacy.
Bryci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its baffling that places like McDonalds got it. Like Barnet says it was a good idea but so badly executed.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bryci)
Its baffling that places like McDonalds got it. Like Barnet says it was a good idea but so badly executed.
(Original post by barnetlad)
A moderately sensible idea with good intent badly executed.

Fast food chains should have been excluded, as I resent my taxes subsidising KFC and McDonalds.
Short of food snobbery, do you have any actual reasons for advocating excluding two major employers in particular from a government support scheme?
Kitten in boots
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Future generations will suffer due to the fiscal recklessness of Sunak.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
Short of food snobbery, do you have any actual reasons for advocating excluding two major employers in particular from a government support scheme?
Wanting to avoid it encouraging obesity, and particularly wanting to support local businesses where the income goes and more is spent locally. The two were examples.
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Will you like his as much when the tax rises come?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ry-coronavirus

Sunak has enjoyed unparalleled popularity over the past few months. He has higher approval ratings than the PM and is likely the reason why the Tories remain ahead of Labour on the economy. With debt now soaring to over 100% of GDP how much longer can he maintain those approval numbers?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A surprisingly effective measure giving credence to the government's behavioural economists. I must admit I thought it was a gimmick when announced but value to reality has been high.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think it was a great idea which Sunak deserves a lot of merit for.

The aim was to incentivise people back into pubs and restaurants to increase consumer confidence during post-lockdown times. People are likely to 'try out' eateries due to the huge discount, then realise that actually these establishments were safe to visit again. Then they are more likely to visit their favourite eateries regularly again, leading to a better recovery in consumer spending in the economy. It was a very clever way of initiating a recovery in the hospitality sector which will likely save many small businesses.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)

Sunak has enjoyed unparalleled popularity over the past few months. He has higher approval ratings than the PM and is likely the reason why the Tories remain ahead of Labour on the economy. With debt now soaring to over 100% of GDP how much longer can he maintain those approval numbers?
It's not difficult for him to be popular, even though most Conservative chancellors of recent times were better (yes even Gideon Osbourne).

The rest of the cabinet are almost without exception the most incapable ministers any UK government has had in living memory, apart from Chris Grayling. He has it must be noted only got the job because he is prepared to be dictated to by Dominic Cummings, if needed, whereas Sajid Javid was not prepared to be.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)

No one knows. But he must maintain his popularity for the next four years.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
It's not difficult for him to be popular, even though most Conservative chancellors of recent times were better (yes even Gideon Osbourne).

The rest of the cabinet are almost without exception the most incapable ministers any UK government has had in living memory, apart from Chris Grayling. He has it must be noted only got the job because he is prepared to be dictated to by Dominic Cummings, if needed, whereas Sajid Javid was not prepared to be.
Rishi Sunak is the best cabinet minister at the moment.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bryci)
Many small businesses refused to sign up to it / abused it.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Future generations will suffer due to the fiscal recklessness of Sunak.
I hope this generation will get to see him as PM.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rishi Sunak is the best cabinet minister at the moment.
Yes I agree. One of maybe only two or three up to the job.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No one knows. But he must maintain his popularity for the next four years.
Agreed. But the irony of the whole thing is that he has achieved his popularity by effectively running a Corbyn Labour style policy. In fact, it seems that the Tories, far from being conserving have implemented much of Corbyns manifesto. The railways are more or less entirely subsidised by the government, health and education has seen a massive boost in funding and the government have now been propping up private food outlets. It is just so bizarre.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I hope this generation will get to see him as PM.
Bar May every incumbent change has been to a current/former Chancellor or Foreign Sec over the past century. So Sunak, Javid, Hunt or Raab if pre election. Gove is gold though for me.
Last edited by Rakas21; 3 weeks ago
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well now he is reforming the tax which I somehow already predicted. He even showed little of glimpse of the documents of tax rise deliberately so that you know what is going to come and the people and media thought the documents are leaked. Haha that is very funny. I mean duh what do people expect after all ? All those things were free ride. There is nothing for free these things has to be paid back if you want to help the economy to recover. If you’re thinking to write a cheque of the 50% off eat to help you been using so that you can call it square, forget it lad, you know it doesn’t work like that. Sunak was really doing his best and those people who is been eating out 50% off scheme let him down as when the scheme ended the restaurants become empty. When that happens, more employees gets dismissed or even some restaurants might bankrupt.
Last edited by iNeed2p; 3 weeks ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iNeed2p)
Well now he is reforming the tax which I somehow already predicted. He even showed little of glimpse of the documents of tax rise deliberately so that you know what is going to come and the people and media thought the documents are leaked. Haha that is very funny. I mean duh what do people expect after all ? All those things were free ride. There is nothing for free these things has to be paid back if you want to help the economy to recover. If you’re thinking to write a cheque of the 50% off eat to help you been using so that you can call it square, forget it lad, you know it doesn’t work like that. Sunak was really doing his best and those people who is been eating out 50% off scheme let him down as when the scheme ended the restaurants become empty. When that happens, more employees gets dismissed or even some restaurants might bankrupt.
The restaurants won’t be empty even if a little less busy. The scheme was basically an electric shock designed to jump start the industry and it surprisingly worked.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The restaurants won’t be empty even if a little less busy. The scheme was basically an electric shock designed to jump start the industry and it surprisingly worked.
That was clever he did there. I agree, however don't think the restaurants will be hitting more traffic as they use to be before covid19 or when scheme was on. We don't know what future holds for certain but, sometimes we can predict with the current situations and the economy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads