NetNeutrality
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so apparently there's a section where you're supposed to talk about methods in your epq, but i'm confused about this, is this meant to go in your essay or in the presentation? and if its in the essay is it meant to be its own section or would you just drop things in as you go (so like saying something then saying "i was gonna do this but couldnt cus of this so i did this instead"), my friends are also confused about this cus they didnt tell us much cus of covid so if anyone know how to include this i'd appreciate it
tofskisum
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
So from my point of view (I did the edexcel epq which finished just after schools shut down, so we got our results a couple of weeks ago), I can't see anything on the specification to suggest that if you are doing a dissertation you need to do a separate section on Methods. However, for AO1 (Manage), you have to make a logbook of what you are doing, when, and why, throughout the research and writing process. This is where you should put in details of your method as you go (or retrospectively with dates if you hadn't done this at the time), preferably describing reasons for your decisions and evaluation of how it's going. Note from Mark band 3 "The learner shows a high level of organisational ability and time management skills when managing the project. The learner maintains clear and detailed records of activities undertaken during the project, including problems encountered and steps taken to overcome them. Progress is monitored against the original plan and adjustments made to the plan where necessary."

For AO4 (Review), you have to evaluate the project, which includes methods, things you might do differently next time, things you might like to look at more if you had more time, etc. In my project, I had 2 slides in my presentation which were 'Evaluation - Process' and 'Evaluation - Dissertation'. I also put an Evaluation section in the same document as my dissertation, but right at the end, so my structure was: Abstract, Table of Contents, Introduction, Main essay body, Conclusion, Bibliography, Appendicies (where I put extra information like a family tree and my own translation of a source to help with context), Evaluation. This evaluation was structured as 'what has it taught me', 'key strength of the dissertation', 'weaknesses of the dissertation (and why)', 'how far I achieved any secondary objectives' (like readability), 'three things I would do differently if I were to do this EPQ again'.

I hope this helps, but I also suggest that you check what board you are doing and look up the specification and any other details/documents that the board has that your teachers might usually be expected to read - if you try to get all the information that your teachers should have you can't really go far wrong!
NetNeutrality
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tofskisum)
Hi,
So from my point of view (I did the edexcel epq which finished just after schools shut down, so we got our results a couple of weeks ago), I can't see anything on the specification to suggest that if you are doing a dissertation you need to do a separate section on Methods. However, for AO1 (Manage), you have to make a logbook of what you are doing, when, and why, throughout the research and writing process. This is where you should put in details of your method as you go (or retrospectively with dates if you hadn't done this at the time), preferably describing reasons for your decisions and evaluation of how it's going. Note from Mark band 3 "The learner shows a high level of organisational ability and time management skills when managing the project. The learner maintains clear and detailed records of activities undertaken during the project, including problems encountered and steps taken to overcome them. Progress is monitored against the original plan and adjustments made to the plan where necessary."

For AO4 (Review), you have to evaluate the project, which includes methods, things you might do differently next time, things you might like to look at more if you had more time, etc. In my project, I had 2 slides in my presentation which were 'Evaluation - Process' and 'Evaluation - Dissertation'. I also put an Evaluation section in the same document as my dissertation, but right at the end, so my structure was: Abstract, Table of Contents, Introduction, Main essay body, Conclusion, Bibliography, Appendicies (where I put extra information like a family tree and my own translation of a source to help with context), Evaluation. This evaluation was structured as 'what has it taught me', 'key strength of the dissertation', 'weaknesses of the dissertation (and why)', 'how far I achieved any secondary objectives' (like readability), 'three things I would do differently if I were to do this EPQ again'.

I hope this helps, but I also suggest that you check what board you are doing and look up the specification and any other details/documents that the board has that your teachers might usually be expected to read - if you try to get all the information that your teachers should have you can't really go far wrong!
Thank you so much, I'm doing AQA and the production log is kinda confusing like they only have questions about meetings with your supervisor, and you can't write an awful lot of detail about the process of your research/essay writing, I havent got to an evaluation stage yet (i'm still writing the main body of the essay) but i'll keep that in mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise