charlieday1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey I'm currently going into year 13 and I would like to study music at university. Preferably a joint course with history or a music course that interlinks with history (eg at Bristol they do a Music and the Holocaust module). I'm really into compositions and would like to study that more as well as film Music. Any ideas on the best places to study Music at university with these criterias. I'd like to go to a university as well and not a music academy or institution. Any advice or ideas would be brilliant and much appreciated!!
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by charlieday1)
Hey I'm currently going into year 13 and I would like to study music at university. Preferably a joint course with history or a music course that interlinks with history (eg at Bristol they do a Music and the Holocaust module). I'm really into compositions and would like to study that more as well as film Music. Any ideas on the best places to study Music at university with these criterias. I'd like to go to a university as well and not a music academy or institution. Any advice or ideas would be brilliant and much appreciated!!
theres a music and history course at Bangor university
Bangor Uni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi charlieday1,

Great to see you are considering studying Music at University. At Bangor we have a range of options in the music department - covering every aspect of the subject - you can shape your degree course to reflect your interests and strengths. Options include ensemble coaching and tuition in conducting, and a number of vocational modules such as Arts Administration.

We also have excellent links with local and national employers, including Venue Cymru, Sain Records, the BBC, and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Our concert series is one of the most varied of any British university. It includes recitals by visiting artists, our resident ensembles, and concerts of electroacoustic music given by Electroacoustic Wales, alongside performances by students themselves.

As part of the University we also have the Pontio Arts and Innovation centre which not only hosts array of Music and Theatre performances but allows students to volunteer and get involved with projects. The Orchestra puts on a performance every year to the public as well as the the Musical Theatre Society.

As well as Music courses we also offer options to study Music with another subject area. We have Music with History, Film Studies or Media Studies which may be of interest to you. You can take a closer look at all our courses here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/.

Make sure you chat to Alys our current Music student here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/unibuddy.

If you have any further questions we can also help you on here

Thanks
Bangor Uni Team
owlknightdragon
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bangor Uni)
Hi charlieday1,

Great to see you are considering studying Music at University. At Bangor we have a range of options in the music department - covering every aspect of the subject - you can shape your degree course to reflect your interests and strengths. Options include ensemble coaching and tuition in conducting, and a number of vocational modules such as Arts Administration.

We also have excellent links with local and national employers, including Venue Cymru, Sain Records, the BBC, and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Our concert series is one of the most varied of any British university. It includes recitals by visiting artists, our resident ensembles, and concerts of electroacoustic music given by Electroacoustic Wales, alongside performances by students themselves.

As part of the University we also have the Pontio Arts and Innovation centre which not only hosts array of Music and Theatre performances but allows students to volunteer and get involved with projects. The Orchestra puts on a performance every year to the public as well as the the Musical Theatre Society.

As well as Music courses we also offer options to study Music with another subject area. We have Music with History, Film Studies or Media Studies which may be of interest to you. You can take a closer look at all our courses here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/.

Make sure you chat to Alys our current Music student here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/unibuddy.

If you have any further questions we can also help you on here

Thanks
Bangor Uni Team
i just referenced the OP to ur uni very good
University of Sheffield Students
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there!

I am about to go into my final year studying music at the University of Sheffield. I also have a few friends that take Music and History as well and they love the course.

I like to think of a music degree at Sheffield as a sort of “design your own degree”. The degree is situated around 7 pathways which are Musicology, Ethnomusicology, Music Psychology, Music Technology, Music Industries, Performance and Composition. In your first year all the pathways are core, so you would get to sample every single pathway to find what you enjoy the most/are the best at. In your second and third years the modules are completely picked by you, so you can direct your degree in any way you wish. This is the reason as to why I picked Sheffield really! I have really found what I’m passionate about because of this system.

There is also a sound and moving image module at Sheffield which I believe you would find interesting if you're into film music!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield, or just what its like to study Music at Uni!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
owlknightdragon
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi there!

I am about to go into my final year studying music at the University of Sheffield. I also have a few friends that take Music and History as well and they love the course.

I like to think of a music degree at Sheffield as a sort of “design your own degree”. The degree is situated around 7 pathways which are Musicology, Ethnomusicology, Music Psychology, Music Technology, Music Industries, Performance and Composition. In your first year all the pathways are core, so you would get to sample every single pathway to find what you enjoy the most/are the best at. In your second and third years the modules are completely picked by you, so you can direct your degree in any way you wish. This is the reason as to why I picked Sheffield really! I have really found what I’m passionate about because of this system.

There is also a sound and moving image module at Sheffield which I believe you would find interesting if you're into film music!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield, or just what its like to study Music at Uni!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
hello how many contact hours per week do u have
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,
My name is Jenny and I'm going into 3rd year at Birmingham studying music. Unfortunately we don't do a joint music and history course however almost all of music history is covered in our module choices. For example, in first year everyone takes a core module in general music history where you cover the medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical and 20th Century. This gives you a good basis and helps you decide what you'd like to focus on in 2nd and 3rd year. For these remaining years you could study things like Anglican church music, love death and religion in the renaissance, Wagner, RVW, The sixties, Mahler, Stravinsky and many more.

You mentioned a holocaust module at Bristol - our modules don't tend to be grouped like this but that period could be covered in modules like music protest or in songs without borders. You also have the option to study this as your dissertation if you have an interest in this with one of our talented tutors, you'd get support and advice throughout the whole process and help you to really narrow down your interest.

We also have a film music module that I am due to start in just a few weeks (I'm also very interested in film music), in this module you study the history of film music and any key stylistic tendencies for each era. You start from silent films (which of course were never really silent!) and work through Hollywood and the rise of jazz and pop. This is all accompanied by analytical case studies which helps you move onto the other half of the module - film composition. You are graded on an essay and a selection of short compositions. I'm sure you can see I'm very excited to start this soon.

I hope this helps you decide!

- Jenny
University of Sheffield Students
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by owlknightdragon)
hello how many contact hours per week do u have
Hi! In first year it was about 8-10 hours a week. In my third year I have 1 week where I have 6 hours and 1 week where I have 4 hours and they alternate

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know this threads like a month old but just wanna jump in & recommend Ravensbourne I studied their Music & Sound Design course & there was a big focus on composition as well as music for media (so for films and stuff.) Enjoyed every minute. Really industry-focussed too which is good for employment & the uni itself is sick, it’s a mad creative uni right outside the o2 arena in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (48)
17.65%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (77)
28.31%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (35)
12.87%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.68%

Watched Threads