The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Rich Kids at Nottingham University

I visted Nottingham Uni last week and I thought it was a great Uni. However, I got the impression that the uni is full of Students from wealthy backgrounds. For example, I saw one Student driving around the University Park Campus in a brand new Mercedes with a private number plate!!!!!!!!!!!! (no, I'm not joking). Now, I'm not sure if I should apply to Nottingham. I'm from a working class, poor background will I be able to fit in? Is Nottingham full of rich students? Will I be an outcast because of my poor background?
Reply 1
Winifred
I visted Nottingham Uni last week and I thought it was a great Uni. However, I got the impression that the uni is full of Students from wealthy backgrounds. For example, I saw one Student driving around the University Park Campus in a brand new Mercedes with a private number plate!!!!!!!!!!!! (no, I'm not joking). Now, I'm not sure if I should apply to Nottingham. I'm from a working class, poor background will I be able to fit in? Is Nottingham full of rich students? Will I be an outcast because of my poor background?

I'm sure there have been other threads like this...all unis are going to have a mix of rich and poor. Just because you've seen one person driving around in a Mercedes (who may not even have been a student...) doesn't mean we all have them and doesn't mean that students at other unis don't have just as nice cars.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Im sure that the really rich ones are not in the majority...
Reply 3
.NK
Just because you've seen one person driving around in a Mercedes (who may not even have been a student...)

Thanks for your message, but I'm certain he was a student because he parked his car and went into the library, he looked like a first year (18/19 ish).
whichever university you go to I'm sure you'll find a share of more wealthy students but that doesnt mean you'll be an outcast. Most people see money/class as slightly outdated and irrelevent, university unites people from all backgrounds. I'm sure you'll fit in and anyone who discriminates against you because of your class doesnt deserve your attention anyway!

This is coming from a middle class white atheist who goes to a mainly working class african catholic college and I fit in just fine!
Reply 5
Winifred

Nah, most people aren't all that wealthy. I guess a lot of people could be described as "middle class", but I've met very few who are really rich/posh, and even the ones who are don't make a big deal out of it. Also, my friend who lives at Broadgate Park told me that almost everybody there is poor! :wink:
The better universities in the country will all have their fair share of wealthy students - this not just a feature of Nottingham uni.

In fact, as one of the more reputable universities in England, it has a relatively high number of state school entrants. At Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Durham and Edinburgh you're more likely to meet a higher number wealthy students.

However, you should not let statistics put you off - at uni there's such a broad variety of people, most of whom will have open minds.
Reply 7
I haven't met ANYONE who is 'rah'-ish here. Not a single one.
Reply 8
Winifred
Thanks for your message, but I'm certain he was a student because he parked his car and went into the library, he looked like a first year (18/19 ish).

probably he borrowed it from his parents for a week!! no need to worry. You will be able to fit in!!!!!!!!
Winifred

Foreign student? They usually have loads of money.

Nottingham is certainly not a snobbish place and it doesn't have loads of rah's. I speak from personal experience: I did my undergrad degree at St Andrews!
Reply 10
My cousin and her husband both studied at University of Nottingham, they weren't rich rich, but they were well off. They are really down to earth also. But i guess you're going to get a mixture of these kind of people at university, doesn't matter which!
Reply 11
which mercedes was it?
Reply 12
To be honest, I personally am not bothered if its full of rich kids or not :wink: I'd love to attend Nottingham.
Reply 13
people make our ricjh kids are so bad but i dont really have a problem with them.... there polite able to have a convo bout currunt affairs and other such things
Reply 14
Winifred

they might be rich kids but they are at uni in one of the scruffiest parts of the country
rich kids= drug addicts<therefore a lot of drugs at notts
~*glitter*~
they might be rich kids but they are at uni in one of the scruffiest parts of the country

How is Nottingham Uni in anything like a scruffy part of the country? Nottingham isnt scruffy; some of the inner city areas like St Anne's are but I cant imagine students ever go near them.

People really should think before they castigate a place they obviously haven't visited.
exactly,, ignorance kills
The Messiah
rich kids= drug addicts<therefore a lot of drugs at notts

justification?

Latest

Trending

Trending