a_sadek91
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I do know that grammar schools are state schools - but many people do divide the two terms, which makes it confusing. So if a summer course or summer school states that it only accepts state school students, is that including or excluding grammar school students? Just to make sure, because I’ve seen SO many people treat grammar schools as a whole separate entity to state schools
username5390248
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You might have to ask them cause grammar schools are selective so they aren't identical to state schools in that sense.
Fakz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Summer programmes usually specify it as "non-selective state schools", which grammar schools are not. That's probably why it confuses people.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
(Original post by bacter1a)
You might have to ask them cause grammar schools are selective so they aren't identical to state schools in that sense.
True but they do fall under the term state school as they are funded by the state
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Fakz)
Summer programmes usually specify it as "non-selective state schools", which grammar schools are not. That's probably why it confuses people.
Not all grammars are selective though most are. They are state schools though.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fakz)
So if it just says state then I can apply? Because their main purpose of only allowing state school students is to give more opportunity to those who can’t afford or just don’t have crazy expensive private education, which still applies to grammar schools
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by a_sadek91)
So if it just says state then I can apply? Because their main purpose of only allowing state school students is to give more opportunity to those who can’t afford or just don’t have crazy expensive private education, which still applies to grammar schools
Short answer is yes.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
Short answer is yes.
What’s the long answer hahaha
Vapordave
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by a_sadek91)
What’s the long answer hahaha
Maybe. The specific one might only take comprehensive students but you should be fine.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some grammars are private, most are state. I went to a state grammar
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
yeah mine's a state grammar and so is the new one I'm going to for Sixth Form
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
its hella frustrating when universities or other institutions say that grammar school doesn't count as state. Like I go to a state grammar, but couldn't apply to a kings college program, due to being from a grammar school.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bacter1a)
They are state schools though so if a scheme is open to state schools then you can apply.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raja12)
its hella frustrating when universities or other institutions say that grammar school doesn't count as state. Like I go to a state grammar, but couldn't apply to a kings college program, due to being from a grammar school.
Wow really? I was thinking of applying to a few Cambridge summer schools this academic year, would you say it’s likely that the other colleges in Cam take the same view on grammar school admissions as King’s?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
KCL are wrong then ... unless it specifically says a non-selective school they cannot refuse you.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
Ahh you mean KCL? If so my bad.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The programs are meant for people from genuinely disadvantaged backgrounds. Grammar schools give you the same advantages as private schools and the fact you go to one means your parents likely care about your education.
a_sadek91
Rep:
?
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
The programs are meant for people from genuinely disadvantaged backgrounds. Grammar schools give you the same advantages as private schools and the fact you go to one means your parents likely care about your education.
People from low-income backgrounds still go to grammar schools. Denying a person with low-income background to a summer school just because they go to a *state funded and therefore free* grammar school isn’t right and I doubt that’s the case with many summer schools.
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
KCL are wrong then ... unless it specifically says a non-selective school they cannot refuse you.
yep I think it said non-selective or somewhat too, cant really remember for sure
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I also loved that people were being considered "privileged" because my school was technically a grammar, despite having very bog-standard results and being in a low-polar area, rendering a lot of people illegible/uncompetitive for summer schools and the like.

(Meanwhile people from state schools that rival top private schools are technically eligible...)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed