Will an employer (after I finish uni) know about my UCAS application?

Watch
ImLeonardo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I changed my course from Law to Economics and want to know if this change will negatively impact me when I apply for graduation jobs - will an employer be bothered by the fact that I did something completely different to what my UCAS application said about applying to Law but now I'm intending to study Economics at uni.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, not unless you decide to tell them.

(Why on earth would you think that a future employer even sees your UCAS application ......?)
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No they would have no way of seeing your UCAS application.

UCAS is used for applying to uni and then never thought about again.
ImLeonardo
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
No, not unless you decide to tell them.

(Why on earth would you think that a future employer even sees your UCAS application ......?)
Oh, just because I thought when an employer checks to see what grade you get and at what university will they ask the uni to see a UCAS application or anything, I heard about it from someone and was curious so I thought I'd ask on the forum.
ImLeonardo
Rep:
?
Ah

(Original post by Desideri)
No they would have no way of seeing your UCAS application.

UCAS is used for applying to uni and then never thought about again.
Ah okay, so do unis never keep info from your UCAS application after you begin registration with them?
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ImLeonardo)
Ah

Ah okay, so do unis never keep info from your UCAS application after you begin registration with them?
I’ve no idea if they still have a copy of my personal statement in some admissions folder somewhere, but it’s not on my student record. UCAS is just for applying. Once you’re at uni, it’s completely irrelevant.

When you apply for a job, they will probably want a reference, for example from your personal tutor. But neither your personal tutor nor the employer will know or care at all what you wrote on a UCAS form 3-4 years ago.
nubestreet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
GDPR regulations mean that applications (including job applications) can only be kept for the purpose for which they were intended. Once that purpose has been completed the data should be destroyed. UCAS holds data for research purposes but it’s in anonymised form and is not available to anyone who wants to see it. When you apply for jobs the proof of your qualifications will come from you, i.e. you will be asked to produce your certificates. No one else has the right to request this information so an employer couldn’t get it even they wanted to go to the trouble of asking for it. The only thing that will follow you will be criminal convictions and records of gross misconduct or termination of employment. In the case of convictions, you, as the employee, would need to complete a DBS and then agree to share it with your employer. GDPR can be annoying but it also protects you.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The only information an employer will care about is a degree certificate and possibly a transcript.

As above, UCAS info is purely for the purposes of Uni admission and cannot be passed on to a third party.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ImLeonardo)
Hi, I changed my course from Law to Economics and want to know if this change will negatively impact me when I apply for graduation jobs - will an employer be bothered by the fact that I did something completely different to what my UCAS application said about applying to Law but now I'm intending to study Economics at uni.
They wont know.
(& they wont ask)
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
They wont know.
(& they wont ask)
& they wouldn't care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.54%
No - I have already returned home (15)
11.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (26)
20.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.98%

Watched Threads