wintersun22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What are your thoughts? Which would you rather go to if you could get into both?

Personally, I am stuck between both unis (studying Chemistry or Biochemistry)
Anyone who has been to either uni please let me know about your experience (especially Birmingham as I dont know much about it )
Last edited by wintersun22; 4 months ago
bubblesrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ok so if you are concerned about ranking, Nottingham does a bit better for Chemistry (11th vs 16th for Birmingham on the Complete University Guide 2021 https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ings/chemistry). However, for biological sciences 2021, Nottingham is a lot lower at 45th, whilst Birmingham is 21st. (https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...gical-sciences). In overall ranking, Birmingham is higher at 13th whilst Nottingham is 20th for 2021 (thecompleteuniversityguide.co.u k/league-tables/rankings). Internationally, Birmingham is better ar rank No87 whilst Nottingham is No99 in the QS 2021 Rankings.

HOWEVER, at the end of the day, your opinion is most important.
Consider these factors and you could make a pros and cons list out of these factors too:
- whether you want the uni to be close to home and which uni is closer
-price and whether you can afford that uni, or one may be more financially viable
-social life
-degree modules: which modules spark your interest more? this could be very important
-the career prospects of either uni and the job opportunities of the town
- diversity if this is important to you
- placement year: this could be hugely advantageous, people sometimes get jobs out of these
- the feel when you visit - please visit! or at least do a virtual tour even through google maps or youtube. which one do you feel more at home in? which appeals to you more? both Birmingham and Nottingham are campus unis, but are in very different places, so I hope you choose one you like best!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Look at the course modules for each one - in detail, and for all three/four years of the course.
Think about which ones would you actually choose, and why. Its the course you study each day for the next three/four years - not the University.

You also might find some useful info in this about having a range of grade requirements, and making good choices - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
bigfatpenguinQ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If I were you, I would Pick Nottingham againwith no doubt.

When you choose a uni you not only choose the subject and the lesson or what league table ranking it offer, but for most important, the value it imparts to every prospective UoNer.

For me personally, I'm a UoN China campus student and I really am proud of the strong link between the three Campuses, UK,China,Malaysia. UoN is the only one uni to show out it's three campuses equally in the logo and everywhere, every propaganda video, every minute we thrive in UoN.

I still remember the voice, one of UoNer senior pointing at a closed sphere, where has a variety of shape and different color flowers, and told me: the flowers are symbolising the every UoNer, and the sphere is the UoN. And no matter what colour you are, what shape you are, what danger is going crazy outside. The UoN will always be the place that will protect every UoNer to achieve, thrive.

The value of equality and liberty. the UoN protect me to have this even if I am in China society.

The memory that how I met my ex-boyfriend. He comes from the Malaysia campus. One day he came to the pride film week, and I am a diversity community staff, just by chance we got to know each other. This thing might sound normal. In China society, 99.9% of uni would not allow to set up a diversity community. But the UoN has its edge, we are protected from this "traditional culture". And even the vice-president told us, if we diversity community have any project need to do, need to make any impact, the money won't be an issue.

...there are so much words I can tell you, but I know no matter how much more experiences you hear from here can't let you truly feel the same way as I feel, but remember, when you choose a uni, you choose a value. UoN share the value that not every uni share, it has its blue color, and I am so proud of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (44)
17.74%
No one else does (80)
32.26%
I'm embarrassed about my background (27)
10.89%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (84)
33.87%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.21%
I don't have a camera (5)
2.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed