The Student Room Group

If I go to university I will be homeless

I’m due to start university this year on the 16th of September.

I was led to think that my parents would pay for my university fees including accommodation etc for my time at university, but just a few days ago they told me this would no longer happen. Because I’m apparently responsible enough to do it myself. So I’m about to find out how to apply for my student and maintenance loan, I had never figured out how to do this for the aforementioned reason.

I will be moving 4 hours for university, and I have nowhere to stay if I move. The deadline for university accommodation has passed and I don’t know what to do. I have emailed the university, but it’s been two days with no response.

I was wondering if it’s completely implausible to consider sleeping in the 24/7 library and showering in the swimming facilities etc...

Idk if I’m crazy, but I’m very anxious and stressed about this situation. Please help, and if you do suggest anything, just know that I won’t be able to get help from my parents for anything.

I’ll be able to give you more detailed information if you need anything.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You can’t go to university if you have nowhere to live. You simply can’t - you need somewhere to rest and study and hang out with friends.

It seems very careless on your parents part to tell you a few weeks before university starts that they expect you to take out loans when student finance is normally completed months in advance.

Why were they going to pay anyway? Never pay for tuition fees out of pocket, there’s no point as the loan repayment is more like a very generous tax.

You’ll also need your parents financial information when applying for the maintenance loan.

Good luck to you. Please don’t sleep in the 24/7 library.
oof good luck

can u find out of uni accommodation at least?

and get student loan
Original post by Anonymous
I’m due to start university this year on the 16th of September.

I was led to think that my parents would pay for my university fees including accommodation etc for my time at university, but just a few days ago they told me this would no longer happen. Because I’m apparently responsible enough to do it myself. So I’m about to find out how to apply for my student and maintenance loan, I had never figured out how to do this for the aforementioned reason.

I will be moving 4 hours for university, and I have nowhere to stay if I move. The deadline for university accommodation has passed and I don’t know what to do. I have emailed the university, but it’s been two days with no response.

I was wondering if it’s completely implausible to consider sleeping in the 24/7 library and showering in the swimming facilities etc...

Idk if I’m crazy, but I’m very anxious and stressed about this situation. Please help, and if you do suggest anything, just know that I won’t be able to get help from my parents for anything.

I’ll be able to give you more detailed information if you need anything.

Thank you :smile:

It has been Bank holiday - I would ring tomorrow and explain your situation.

Have you got any savings to find a room? Start the SFE application asap - like now.
If you don't mind me asking, which Uni?

Edit:
You can book a hostel for short-term accom if necessary. An overdraft can be had on your bank card even without a credit history to speak of (usually) since banks are pretty lenient with that, usually up to £500, maybe £1,000 if you're a student with proof of starting soon. That might give you a short term cheap option to get to Uni, although you will definitely need a more permanent solution and fast.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MadameRazz
You can’t go to university if you have nowhere to live. You simply can’t - you need somewhere to rest and study and hang out with friends.

It seems very careless on your parents part to tell you a few weeks before university starts that they expect you to take out loans when student finance is normally completed months in advance.

Why were they going to pay anyway? Never pay for tuition fees out of pocket, there’s no point as the loan repayment is more like a very generous tax.

You’ll also need your parents financial information when applying for the maintenance loan.

Good luck to you. Please don’t sleep in the 24/7 library.

In all honesty, friends and relaxing are the last thing on my mind, I don’t know why they’d pay, they just told me they were going to, and then all of a sudden decided that they wouldn’t want to.

Also I found out online that I can apply for a maintenance loan even with my parents providing their details, there’s a different way to go about it.

Why would you suggest not sleeping in the library out of curiosity?
Reply 6
Original post by Callicious
If you don't mind me asking, which Uni?

Edit:
You can book a hostel for short-term accom if necessary. An overdraft can be had on your bank card even without a credit history to speak of (usually) since banks are pretty lenient with that, usually up to £500, maybe £1,000 if you're a student with proof of starting soon. That might give you a short term cheap option to get to Uni, although you will definitely need a more permanent solution and fast.

Aberyswyth University

And how do I get that sorted out? Can I set up a bank account online? I won’t be able to do it in person whilst I’m still at home anyway. The only bank account I have is linked to my mom.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
It has been Bank holiday - I would ring tomorrow and explain your situation.

Have you got any savings to find a room? Start the SFE application asap - like now.

I have just enough money for a train ticket to the university and LITERALLY nothing else, so that’s my situation, I’ll start my SFE application tomorrow for sure
first of all you won't go homeless. just send email to uni student service they can help you out with the student finance(loan) and accommodation. in most cases Universities have something called "emergency accommodation" means you can stay in. so no worries. student finance may be delay a little while but will get to you soon.
Aberyswyth University

And how do I get that sorted out? Can I set up a bank account online? I won’t be able to do it in person whilst I’m still at home anyway. The only bank account I have is linked to my mom.

You don't have an account yet? ;-;

Go to your local RBS (I use them, fine for me) or other local bank and do it yourself. You're an adult. Once you hit 16, you can go make a debit account yourself. If you're 18 (I hope you are) you can go for the overdraft. If you have student proof, you can get the overdraft straight up without being 18, I think.

Stop worrying about your mom, you don't need her for this.

Also ah ;-; If you were in Edinburgh I'd offer up my sofa :frown:
Reply 10
you sure there is a 24/7 library atm? my uni only offers this during exam time.
In all honesty, friends and relaxing are the last thing on my mind, I don’t know why they’d pay, they just told me they were going to, and then all of a sudden decided that they wouldn’t want to.

Also I found out online that I can apply for a maintenance loan even with my parents providing their details, there’s a different way to go about it.

Why would you suggest not sleeping in the library out of curiosity?

um because thats not a way to live? where would you keep your clothes? your personal belongings? how would you eat? what about chargers for phones/laptops/whatever else? what if they dont let you?
Original post by Callicious
You don't have an account yet? ;-;

Go to your local RBS (I use them, fine for me) or other local bank and do it yourself. You're an adult. Once you hit 16, you can go make a debit account yourself. If you're 18 (I hope you are) you can go for the overdraft. If you have student proof, you can get the overdraft straight up without being 18, I think.

Stop worrying about your mom, you don't need her for this.

Also ah ;-; If you were in Edinburgh I'd offer up my sofa :frown:

Yes I am 18, I’ll see if I can make an account at my local bank online, thank you

And thanks for the kind offer even though I can’t accept it haha
Original post by MadameRazz
um because thats not a way to live? where would you keep your clothes? your personal belongings? how would you eat? what about chargers for phones/laptops/whatever else? what if they dont let you?

Yeah I’m being stupid I guess, anyway, I have received some pretty useful information, so I’m grateful that

I’m just panicking tbh, sorry
Original post by Joleee
you sure there is a 24/7 library atm? my uni only offers this during exam time.

Yes I was told about it in a prospectus, and it’s available at all times
Reply 15
Yes I was told about it in a prospectus, and it’s available at all times

then what are you worried about(?)
Original post by Joleee
then what are you worried about(?)

So you think it’s feasible for me to sleep there? At least for a term
Reply 17
So you think it’s feasible for me to sleep there? At least for a term

you didn't answer my question. you obviously think this is not the greatest idea ever.
Original post by Joleee
you didn't answer my question. you obviously think this is not the greatest idea ever.

To see what I’m worried about please read my post, and yes it’s not the best idea, but I received information from other people on what to do.
Reply 19
To see what I’m worried about please read my post, and yes it’s not the best idea, but I received information from other people on what to do.

i did read your post and i also know what it's like to be homeless including 3 days ago when i literally had no where to sleep for the night. im assuming you're worried about security finding you out. and if you haven't thought about that you've never been into a university library.

Quick Reply

Latest