How do I give advice to someone...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Basically, I have this really good friend, they mean a lot to me and only recently have they opened up to me about an issue they've been having (basically about losing interest in things they used to enjoy, and that they're lost as to what to do), I felt so bad for them as I really do care about them but just reading it made me realise I have no advice to give them, I've been struggling the same way and no advice could solve my issue, but how do I break it to them that I'm just as lost as them. I don't want to turn their problems into my problems (as in I don't want to take over the conversation talking about my own problems rather than focusing on theirs) anyone have advice? How do I motivate them to go back to what they love and find new interests..? It sounds like it's really affecting their mental health and I want to help them
fake_abs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I have this really good friend, they mean a lot to me and only recently have they opened up to me about an issue they've been having (basically about losing interest in things they used to enjoy, and that they're lost as to what to do), I felt so bad for them as I really do care about them but just reading it made me realise I have no advice to give them, I've been struggling the same way and no advice could solve my issue, but how do I break it to them that I'm just as lost as them. I don't want to turn their problems into my problems (as in I don't want to take over the conversation talking about my own problems rather than focusing on theirs) anyone have advice? How do I motivate them to go back to what they love and find new interests..? It sounds like it's really affecting their mental health and I want to help them
1. I don't know if you can really motivate them yet, because from what I'm hearing they may be having a depressive episode or have depression. I would say that you should offer to help, and not vaguely. Instead of saying "Do you need anything?" , say that you'll get groceries for them or do laundry. Stuff like that becomes really difficult when you have depression and would be a big help when they can't get out of bed or struggle with wanting to go outside.

2. Come by a lot. Invite over or go over. Maybe don't invite them out (might be outside comfort zone) but just make sure they're doing okay and have attention. Depression makes you lonely, and they probably need a good laugh at times, even if it doesn't fix the situation entirely. It's also a precautionary measure, in case they may do something to hurt themselves.

3. If depression is getting in the way of their daily life, recommend a doctor. Even if they are opposed to it, do it anyway. If your friend has not yet seen a doctor, encourage them to seek help and reassure them that there is nothing wrong with asking for assistance. Depression is a real—and treatable—illness. If your friend is already seeing a doctor, offer to help with picking up medications and being on time for appointments.

4. Advice isn't the most important part, participating in their recovery and being there should be your first priority if you want to help them.

You can always pm if you want any specific situational advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.51%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.49%

Watched Threads