The Student Room Group

(indomie)ciled in cardiff

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
I'm up to 3.5 titles now but this time I've got nothing :lol:

:laugh: fair enough
2nd oct 2020

music recommendation: joji's new album nectar :awesome:
[video="youtube;RrtkU7i0qD8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrtkU7i0qD8[/video]
this song i particularly enjoyed :yes:

heya, it's been over a week since i've moved in so i thought would be a good time to update :colondollar: sorry i haven't been active as much recently, it's been busy back here!! the weather's quite grim atm (that's to be expected in wales :lol:) so it feels somewhat cosy being inside. moving in went well, my parents stayed over for 2 nights to help me move in which was nice and meant they could carry the big things in the car :colone:

safe to say i am very happy with my flatmates and i will like living in cardiff :yep: i feel luckier than some! no room pics atm as my wall still looks a bit sad- i'm hoping to get an a:tla poster soon.

i have had so many worries that i wouldn't make friends or wouldn't get along w my flatmates but thankfully it has been okay :colondollar: you just gotta put yourself out there a bit which has been hard as i'm quite quiet :colondollar: :yep: i met up with a coursemate for costa last week which was really nice and made me feel more at ease knowing i am relatively friendly with at least one person on my course.

there is also a beautiful (and huge!!) park near me which i am planning to go to more often :heart::dance:

quite excited to have a proper walk around it as there's not many nice green spaces back in my hometown and they're quite small compared to this one! :adore:

so im almost done with my induction week which has been,,, ok i guess :rofl: my week's been quite light compared to others (one of my flatmates are doing medicine and she's having 9-5 stuff for like 4 days a week!) whilst i'm only having 3 days of induction stuff.

cooking's been going well here, though i may have undercooked my chicken on the second day i was here :facepalm: meals are fairly basic bc i cba to put more effort in but am happy eating it as long i've some chilli oil :laugh: been eating pasta everyday with different things :teeth:
lectures for me start next monday, and i think seminars and meetings w my PT are in person which is good :yep: i'm rather excited to start doing some actual work again to the point that i made notes during the introduction to IT talk yesterday :rofl:

my sleeping schedule has been pretty appalling since i've moved in- lots of days where i went to bed at 3am or 4am whoops but yesterday i think i fell asleep before 2-ish which is really good and not that surprising as i didn't go 'out' last night. but yeah, i'm doing okay considering cardiff has tougher lockdown rules now but it doesn't feel much different to before here. hope you're all doing well! i think i'll try to update once a week.

question: favourite type of weather?

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Sunny but cold is my favourite weather

What an excellent photograph
Original post by Blue_Cow
Sunny but cold is my favourite weather

What an excellent photograph

that is good weather :yep:
thank you :biggrin:
wow that park is so beautiful, i'm jealous
favourite weather is either nice and snowy (you know when there's a fresh blanket of snow and you step outside and the snow crunches and it's like a fairytale?) or sunny enough that you can go out with just a light jacket without sweating or getting cold, a light warm breeze perhaps
that park looks gorgeous:gah: i've found a similar thing with green spaces; they're everywhere here!
i'm so glad you like your flatmates:woo:
my sleep schedule has been equally as messed up:biggrin: i literally just woke up:lol:
best of luck with teaching next week:hugs: and have a lovely weekend!
Reply 46
Are there any on-campus cafés open? They're sure to be way cheaper than Costa :redface:

I want weather to be the inverse of how well I'm exposed to it. If I'm cosy indoors in a warm house then I want the weather outside to be as foul as possible. Preferably snowing.
Original post by DrawTheLine
wow that park is so beautiful, i'm jealous
favourite weather is either nice and snowy (you know when there's a fresh blanket of snow and you step outside and the snow crunches and it's like a fairytale?) or sunny enough that you can go out with just a light jacket without sweating or getting cold, a light warm breeze perhaps

it's so nice:lovedup:
yes that weather is amazing! especially when the snow is untouched :gah:

Original post by Toastiekid
that park looks gorgeous:gah: i've found a similar thing with green spaces; they're everywhere here!
i'm so glad you like your flatmates:woo:
my sleep schedule has been equally as messed up:biggrin: i literally just woke up:lol:
best of luck with teaching next week:hugs: and have a lovely weekend!

it is :lovedup:
thank you! yours seem lovely too :teehee:
that's uni life for you :lol:
you too :hugs:

Original post by Sinnoh
Are there any on-campus cafés open? They're sure to be way cheaper than Costa :redface:

I want weather to be the inverse of how well I'm exposed to it. If I'm cosy indoors in a warm house then I want the weather outside to be as foul as possible. Preferably snowing.

no idea, i haven't been on campus yet but when i've walked past the buildings it's looked pretty dead :redface: my costa sandwich was half price though :colone:
totally understandable, i like that sometimes :yep:
yayy, glad to hear that you're settling into uni well

that park looks so pretty!

favourite type of weather? cloudy with a chance of meatballs :awesome:
Love the photo! :gah:
Pasta is great :yep: Hope you have an amazing week :biggrin:
Glad to hear uni is going well and you've made friends :h:

That photo looks absolutely amazing! I'm totally not jealous of the view :grumble:

I love the winter snow :heart:

Have a lovely weekend, take care :hugs:
ahh the park looks gorgeous!
and hey at least you haven't got food poisoning yet lol i'd take that as a win :wink:
Original post by neko no basu
yayy, glad to hear that you're settling into uni well

that park looks so pretty!

favourite type of weather? cloudy with a chance of meatballs :awesome:

thank you :biggrin:
yeah it's gorgeous :yep:
if only that weather existed :cry2:

Original post by laurawatt
Love the photo! :gah:
Pasta is great :yep: Hope you have an amazing week :biggrin:

it's so pretty :teeth:
it is :yep: you too:hugs:

Original post by mez_merising
ahh the park looks gorgeous!
and hey at least you haven't got food poisoning yet lol i'd take that as a win :wink:

it's so nice in the summer :gah:
yeah i'm surprised i didn't get salmonella tbh as the chicken was raw inside :lol:

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Glad to hear uni is going well and you've made friends :h:

That photo looks absolutely amazing! I'm totally not jealous of the view :grumble:

I love the winter snow :heart:

Have a lovely weekend, take care :hugs:

thanks groot :hugs:
it's a good view isn't it :wink:
winter weather is definitely the best :yes:
you have a good week too :lovehug:
Reply 53
I genuinely don't remember your old nickname. Anyways, it's great to see old friends on tsr like @laurawatt @DrawTheLine @I AM GROOT 1 Etc. I hope that everything is going well with all of you!

On the side note, OP I'm glad that you're enjoying Cardiff as a city. I live near to the campuses and I think they're lovely.
Original post by Crow_M
I genuinely don't remember your old nickname. Anyways, it's great to see old friends on tsr like @laurawatt @DrawTheLine @I AM GROOT 1 Etc. I hope that everything is going well with all of you!

On the side note, OP I'm glad that you're enjoying Cardiff as a city. I live near to the campuses and I think they're lovely.

i used to be entertainmyfaith ! :smile: glad to see you're back.
thank you! cardiff is lovely :yes:
Reply 55
Original post by absolutelysprout
i used to be entertainmyfaith ! :smile: glad to see you're back.
thank you! cardiff is lovely :yes:

Oh sweet! People changed names so I couldn't recognise some of them :rofl:
Original post by Crow_M

:hi: great to see you back :woo:
Original post by absolutelysprout
thanks groot :hugs:
it's a good view isn't it :wink:
winter weather is definitely the best :yes:
you have a good week too :lovehug:

PRSOM :hugs:
ahhh sorry I'm so late to the party I haven't been on TSR in ages :eek: defo add me to the tag list and good luck for this year!!
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
ahhh sorry I'm so late to the party I haven't been on TSR in ages :eek: defo add me to the tag list and good luck for this year!!

no worries and will do!!
manu's favourite song atm:
[video="youtube;nn_0zPAfyo8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn_0zPAfyo8[/video]
i'll never stop listening to folklore :love::teeth:

bloody hell, how has it been 2 weeks already- sticking to weekly updates isn't going well :colondollar: :lol: there is so much reading ahhh i don't mind doing it as it's really interesting but there is a LOT oh man maybe i am just not used to the workload yet either
so... quite a bit's happened since i last posted. 2 of my flatmates got symptoms so we had to self isolate for 2 weeks; i think i finished like the 21st which was pretty bad timing as then the circuit breaker lockdown was announced in wales for 17 days :cry2: expect me to going to tesco a lot just for something to do :s-smilie:

but self isolation wasn't bad at all, quite good really as i get along w my flatmates really well :smile: just drank quite a bit of alcohol, had some random deep night time chats and stayed up till like 2am on the weekends :rofl: and cardiff uni had a mobile testing unit so i went and got myself tested too and came back negative :party2: the weather was annoyingly nice some of the days and i could only enjoy it through my window :grumble: i guess i got quite a bit of work done though as i've had to stay inside? :dontknow:

new restaurants i've been to since i've moved in have been shake shack and pizza express so far; both i really enjoyed and i'm looking forward to trying more places when they reopen!!
i went to pizza express with my flatmates (before self isolating obviously!!) and got this really nice salad :gah:

Spoiler

and wow there's a lot i've learnt/listened to recently.
ps1018 research methods is split into stats, practicals, computing and research design with lectures for each.
for computing we've just been getting to grips with SPSS but we had a session with excel last friday and how to make bar charts from that which was quite nice and straightforward. SPSS will take a while longer to get used to.
research design has been pretty straightforward too so far, just stuff we've covered in a level psychology like experimental design, IVs and DVs. statistics has been okay too, only new topic for me so far is z-scores and after i did the homework i didn't find it as complicated as i did initially.
for practicals we have been assigned a practical report to do :hide: it is only the abstract, introduction and method though but wow i'm finding the intro so ahrd to write because you're meant to cite relevant literature/studies and i'm not entirely sure i've picked the right stuff :ninja:

ps1014 is psychological research- this one's been quite good as you get to learn about research the lecturers have done :yep: so far we've learnt about botox and depression, whether smoking in pregnancy is linked to child ADHD and forensics and the implicit association test and how it can be used to identify pedophiles. i didn't like forensics much in a level psychology but i did find the lecture on it interesting.

ps1016 is introduction to psychology- it's been mainly focused on social psycholgoy atm so we've looked at social cognition, attitudes and persuasion, inference, intergroup relations (so you look at stereotypes and stuff like that). next lectures will be about attention and distraction and speech and language :woo: i have a stereotypes essay due on the 5th nov which i am nervous about but it's my first one so not gonna try and be an absolute perfectionist over it

and i've also had seminars and tutorials but i can't quite remember what i did in them :erm: i'm going to them in person next time so my memory should be better for then :lol:

i have ordered some fairy lights and a fake cactus for my room so i'm hoping it'll look a bit more homely :lol: i keep meaning to get an avatar the last airbender poster but they're quite expensive online :frown: the etsy ones are really nice though so i might get one soon, they're even more expensive though if you want a bigger sized one. it'll be worth it i guess?

oh i also did 5k around the park recently at 5pm, was lovely though there was way too many people :colondollar: think i'll stick to morning runs (but i am not a morning person :facepalm:) here's a picture i took at basically the same spot as last time :rofl: :

i am sorry i haven't been as active recently, i've been so bogged down with work but hoping i'll be less so in a few weeks :colondollar: hope you're all doing well and staying safe! wear your masks :yep:

qotd: something you wish you were talented at?

tell me if you wanna be tagged or removed :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending