This is the real life, deffo not fantasy - caught in a pandemic & starting university

Watch
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
18/09/2020

:hi: Hope y'all have had a good day! :grouphugs:

Todays rundown: :danceboy:

☆Morning was spent helping pack my Dad's van with stuff. Dog didn't seem impressed with my goodbye hug (tbf she is going into kennels) and we didn't leave until about 1ish, in the end. Turned out there was a breakdown on the motorway, which was a pain - the lane next door to us had come to a literal standstill and people had started to get out of there cars for a walk :lol: :eek4: The whole journey took about 4 and a half hours, I listened to music and watched Matilda on Netflix which is one of my favourite films :heart:

☆ The road v bumpy - ended up with a horrendous headache, I put it down to roads being bumpy and nerves. Although, i had something similar akin to an anxiety attack a couple of days ago which was awful as I was just lying face down on my floor because it was the only thing that made sense to me at the time... this is probably not the right way to deal with them but anyway, moving on...

☆ Arrived at the uni, i think about 4ish went to the university accomodation reception to get my keycard. The person I saw also gave me a key to access post and some laundry card :awesome: tomorrow I'm going to collect my campus card :yes: :excited:

☆ Parents helped me bring all my bags to my room - thankfully only the first floor, it turns out I'm sharing a kitchen with 8 other people which doesn't sound too bad :nah: Surfaces + wardrobe and things were disinfected. My room is bigger than I though it would be - and I have a huge pin board and a few cube shelves + under the bed storage :excited:

☆ I believe I'm the only person I think who's moved stuff into bedroom and kitchen cupboards, the fridge freezers are empty, the flat seems very very quiet too :yep:

☆ Pretty glad we did sort my stuff today though hopefully might be less stressful for me tomorrow when more people are there. I need to remind myself to go pick up my campus card to.

☆ in the evening we're staying at a local hotel. Ended up attempting to slee off my headache whilst parents went to get tea (even though I was not hungry). But by the time they got back the awful headache went, the only problem is now I can't sleep and my parents snore :sigh: :music:

Excited for tomorrow :woo:

Tags

Please let me know if anyone would like to be added/removed
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ooooh so is this it? You're fully moved in now?

Yeah people don't seem to use the freezers much at uni (except for pizzas...)
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
hope the next few days go well :hugs:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
It's Wednesday already :eek3: :woo:
I think this is going to be a long update :yep:

19/09/2020 - the parting of the ways

This day is a bit of a blur i think :yep: Had breakfast at the hotel, I got an english brekkie but because I was so nervous I could only manage to eat the egg & sausage, i made a bacon toastie for later on with toast though

We drove to the main campus to collect my campus card so I am now officially enrolled :party: Just before going back to the accomodation we went to meet with my cousin, omg her daschunds are so so cute :heart:

After that me and my parents went to a big suoermarket to get some stuff for fridge and freezer space. When i arrived back at my uni accomodation there were 2 or 3 i tjink, one of the girls had lost her phone :yikes:

Random info

- x8 people on my flat including me, same in the other i think
- 7 people have only m io ved in so far as of time of posting

In the evening we met up with the other side of the flat floor that we're on as they only had 3 people move in that day and offered us free pizza :yum: We all get on pretty well so far and we're all in a group chat. Later on in the evening we compared room sizes as everyones rooms are slightly different. We were all shocked to discover we all have different types of desk chairs some of which are more comfortable than others :lol: S

20/09/2020 - highway to hell?

Unpacked a bit more, my room is literally a tip right now :ahee:

In the evening the other flat cane round to ours which was good. Drinks we had, Paranoia was played. The game was good although i don't drink (theres another guy who doesn't drink either).

It turned a bit eventful when the guy who'd just moved in :puke: up though. A couple of people took him back to his room as they were trained in first aid, and one used to be a bar manager so was pretty experienced (thank god she was there tbh). They ended up calling his parents and and an ambulance. Me and one of my other flatmates went to wait for the ambulance outside the accomodation gate, and it annoying went the WRONG ROAD when it did come so we had to go and flag it down :yikes: Luckily he didn't need to be taken to hospital but he did have the paramedics see him over. He's fine now though :yes:

21/09/2020

- Watched welcome talk on Microsoft Teams for my subject, was pretty interesting
- went exploring and walked around the main campus :excited:
- it's a long long walk, so i'm asking my dad to please bring my bike down when he next comes up to see my gran
- did more unpacking
- evening was spent being in the kitchen with flatemates :grouphugs:

22/09/2020

- idek what i did today :iiam:
- sat in a field with my flatamates, they bought drinks to drink on said field, I bought a fanta, chocolate milk and crisps :lol:
- went back early with a couple of other people because it was dark, cold, and slightly uncomfortable
- Shortlisted the modules I wanted to do for my foundation year :danceboy:
The compulsory modules are Maths and Academic skills, and I
I think the optional modules are between Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, and Environment sustainability. I'm still don't know whether to pick Chemistry or the environment one, but i' not a huge fan of chemistry but I find it interesting, i still have time to decide though luckily

23/09/2020

Mostly stayed in the flat today as am feeling a little tired
- signed up to gp practice online
- made an amazon order, because I need some stuff
- flatmates bought 2 scooters :lol:

Name:  20200922_194938.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  115.1 KB

Here is a pic of one of them :rofl:

- I put some pictures up in my room, it's feeling more homely now, but i'll psot a pic when i've hoovered
- cooked bacon and didn't set the fire alam off :woo:
- watched BoJo's speech not feeling too suprised by it tbh
- apaprently the flat above us have been fined £100 for making too much noise :eek:

Time for :sleep: now though :yes:

Meme of the day

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20200513_165609.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  55.5 KB

Tags

(Original post by Sinnoh)
Ooooh so is this it? You're fully moved in now?

Yeah people don't seem to use the freezers much at uni (except for pizzas...)
Yep :excited: :eek3: officially a uni student now :awesome:
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
hope the next few days go well :hugs:
Thank you! :hugs:
They've been better than I expected as well :yes:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 9 months ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They move in and almost immediately throw up, they must have received a right *******ing from their parents :lol:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
They move in and almost immediately throw up, they must have received a right *******ing from their parents :lol:
Yep- we'd only known him a couple of hours and the paramedics were asking about whether he had any MH problems
Ikr, I bet they did :eek: They had 3 people trying to keep him concious, and he kept breaking drinking glasses so I sacrificed one of my plastic cups to the cause
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
They are! :yum: :thumbsup:

Ooh thanks! I'll bear that in mind :yes:
(It still hasn't been bought yet though :nah: )
Please tag me too

My best chopping board is shaped on one side so you can easily 'funnel' stuff into a bowl or pan - saves a lot of mess

Have you been catching Dr WHo on Drama recently? David Tennant
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
I'm rich :woo: thank you SFE
Well, I am until I pay my accommodation anyway
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Another long one :grin: you can have a :penguinhug: if you even make it to the end :grouphugs:
I really want to update daily but for some reason I'm just feel exhausted when its :moon: time :sadnod:

24/09/2020 - Thursday

Today I went into town to go shopping Finding a bus stop was a bit awkward, but in the end I managed to find the right one by asking a couple of students who looked like they knew what they were doing :lol:

Turns out the busses only accept cash or contactless... and if you had cash they wouldn't give change because of corona so ended up paying £5 but that's how they make money I suppose. As you might guess my first stop off in town was the bank, the very nice lady said it was quite a common thing for new students, so she ordered me a new card so i think that's arriving shortly :woo: I also exchanged a note for some coins because I am not too poor to make the same mistake again :sadnod:

Went stationery shopping, bought a folder container thing for paperwork, a folder, some plastic wallets, and some notebooks and paper. Next stop was the shopping mall I didn't really need anything except the toilet :lol: but then I saw GAME and went in to see if they had Super Mario 3D All Stars in stock (because amazon is out of stock and won't deliver that item to my location, but they did, so I got it :danceboy:

After getting the game I decided to try and head my way back to the bus stop. On the way there was this guy who was being restrained by security/police officer because they kept swearing + 'get away from me' really loud. He broke loose from the security guy and bolted. I left pretty quickly after that :eek3:

I got a bit lost trying to find the bus stop ended up using google maps even though I have NO clue how to map read- got a Gregg’s because I was hungry, and stopped off at a Tesco Express because I needed to do a top up shop

Got back to my halls, picked up my amazon package, and headed back to my room with heavy bags and tidied up a bit. I also managed to open my battery powered fairy lights by watching a YouTube video. I'd been attempting to pull it open instead of sliding it open :facepalm:

Evening was spent playing UNO :grouphugs: we ended up playing with 3 packs of uno cards, because 2 wasn't enough :nah:
We played a few rounds which was fun. I think everyone was a bit quieter this evening, because apparently some people in my flat have already been given a "noise complaint warning" if you do it again, you'll be fined £100. The only problem was there's this girl who's really nice and all but she's the loud type of drunk person :sad:

They're also kind of messy (omg you should see our kitchen - one person had their boyfriend over, and they were a bit :shock: :eek3: at it. But i think the rest of my flatmates including me are getting a little bit annoyed now because it is only one person’s mess :sadnod: Idk if the whole floor gets the fine or just individual people, but the thought of getting a fine when it isn’t my fault makes me feel really anxious (like if I’m in my room and they're the ones making the noise). I've been assuming its individual people because when they got caught last time, they just asked for individual names :hmmm:

25/09/2020 - Friday

I had a Higher Education welcome talk on Microsoft Teams and Blackboard today. I picked my modules for my foundation year - in the end I ended up picking Biology and Chemistry because my Level 3 qual at college covered quite a bit of environment+ sustainability stuff so because my end goal is a science related degree I'd rather have some more background knowledge in chemistry and biology so I can refresh my memory as its been a while :yep:

In the afternoon, I slept from 2pm until like 6pm because I feel literally exhausted. I had spaghetti Bolognese for tea. Our flat was dead quiet for a change as well which was weird 😊 In the evening I watched one of my favourite shows aka Great British Bake Off on catch up :love:

After I topped up my laundry card, I watched a film on Netflix which ended up being Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I think I actually prefer this one to the 2005 remake :hide: :grin:

26/09/2020 - Saturday
- Did laundry – it is circuit laundry, me and circuit laundry are not friends :fight: :yuck:
- Paid accommodation stuffs
- Compiled recommended reading for modules so I know which textbooks I need to get
- WatchedThe Spiderwick Chronicles on Netflix :love:
- Figured out how to connect my Nintendo Switch to the internet, turned out I just needed to set up a mobile hotspot via my laptop :cyber:

27/09/2020 - Sunday

- Didn’t set an alarm today :nah: I am literally exhausted, but I MADE IT THROUGH MY FIRST WEEK! :woo:
It’s gone way better than I could have hoped for even if it is in a pandemic :yep: Me and I think everyone on our floor get along together like a house on fire :party:

-Quite a few people in my flat have gone home for the weekend leaving it rather quiet, but in the evening, we ordered pizza by using our student discount power. So because it was ordered within a group using our codes, so we just need to pay £3.50 each which is fairly good :woo:

OMG we literally ordered SO much pizza and sides :rofl: I had pepperoni :yum:

Name:  20200927_200711.jpg
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  20200927_201043.jpg
Size:  118.4 KB

Someone new has moved in on the other side of the floor I’m on. Idk if most uni halls are like this but in ours we have a floor, which is split into 2 halves, so there’s 8 people on one half, and 8 on the other. We've sort of blended into the same bubble though Though I've still not met the last person to move in on our side as of yet :no: I might have to go and knock on his door if I don't see him soon. I met his parents when he was moving in and they were literally so lovely. :iiam: :sad:

After pizza one person came up with the idea to make a public Spotify playlist for everyone in our flat to add their music to, mainly because they thought it might be more interesting instead of listening to the same music of whoever had control of the Bluetooth speaker. There’s definitely a real mix of songs on that new playlist now which is excellent :yep:

Tomorrow will be spent looking at printers and some introductory modules for the foundation year :eek3: I think my timetable might drop soon, but the last email I got sent was that they're still making the timetable to try and avoid clashes in modules stuff for everyone.

Think that's everything for now :grin: thanks for reading :penguinhug: gosh i wrote a lot

Tags

absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
so glad to hear you had a good first week!
uno is so fun to play with flatmates :gah:
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ha I'm getting nostalgic now. My preferred rules for Uno are that you have to draw until you can play, 7s allow you to swap with anyone's hand and 0s mean you pass your hand to the next person. Can make a game last ages

With the fines, really either they're given to the individual or to the flat as a whole, if the former then no worry, if the latter well you can stand your ground and argue that you don't need to contribute.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Glad you’ve had a good week!
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What a week on GBBO :eek: I would have definitely not been as calm if someone had knocked my food on the floor :lol:

Glad to hear you have enjoyed your first week :hugs:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
so glad to hear you had a good first week!
uno is so fun to play with flatmates :gah:
Thank you!:hugs:ikr :love:
Hope you're finding your uni good too
Ha I'm getting nostalgic now. My preferred rules for Uno are that you have to draw until you can play, 7s allow you to swap with anyone's hand and 0s mean you pass your hand to the next person. Can make a game last ages

With the fines, really either they're given to the individual or to the flat as a whole, if the former then no worry, if the latter well you can stand your ground and argue that you don't need to contribute.
Oh wow :awesome: I think that might be how Uno on the Nintendo Switch works actually :yep:
At one point a load of us kept putting down the +4 type cards :giggle:

That's good to know It's been a lot more quieter this weekend so fingers crossed it stays like that a little longer
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Glad you’ve had a good week!
Thank you! :penguinhug:
Hope yours was good too
(Original post by Becca216)
What a week on GBBO :eek: I would have definitely not been as calm if someone had knocked my food on the floor :lol:

Glad to hear you have enjoyed your first week :hugs:
Omg ikr? :eek3: The woman who did it looked so bad, I can tell she felt so guilty about the result of the technical challenge.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
28/09/2020 - Monday

The day has flown by :woo: idek where the days disappeared to actually :hmmmm:

- met final flatmate in our half, he seems really nice
- we realised that even though we have a big group chat for our whole floor, we didn't have a smaller gc for our side of our flat so one girl set that up :yep:
- took bins to the recycling
- hoovered bedroom
- ate my leftovers from yesterdays pizza for tea :yum:

Oooh btw here's a picture of my room! :excited: it wasn't v presentable before so i didn't post it, but it's fine now :yeah: :love:

Name:  20200928_221647.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  20200928_223838.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  91.3 KB

Other side of room from bed view (blurred out photos)

Tags!

5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
28/09/2020 - Monday

The day has flown by :woo: idek where the days disappeared to actually :hmmmm:

- met final flatmate in our half, he seems really nice
- we realised that even though we have a hig group chat for our whole floor, we didn't have a smaller gc for our side so one girl set that up :yep:
- took bins to the recycling
- hoovered bedroom
- ate my leftovers from yesterdays pizza for tea :yum:

Oooh btw here's a picture of my room! :excited: it wasn't v presentable before so i didn't post it, but it's fine now :yeah: :love:

Name:  20200928_221647.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.8 KB

Tags!

Your room looks amazing! I love the way you have decorated it!
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Your room looks amazing! I love the way you have decorated it!
Thank you so much! :hugs:
Decided to use a stool as a makeshift bedside table, I do still need to organise the shelves tbf but they're better than before
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That is a nice room, in mine the chair would've been almost touching the bed. I've always wanted an L-shaped desk too
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Good to hear you've had a good first wee - please don;t feel you have to update every day

Your room looks great :hugs:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
That is a nice room, in mine the chair would've been almost touching the bed. I've always wanted an L-shaped desk too
Ty :penguinhug:
That's what my cousin sad her room was like as well :hmmmm: i do think i am quite lucky, especially considering this was one of the cheapest halls accommodations :yep: :yikes:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Good to hear you've had a good first wee - please don;t feel you have to update every day

Your room looks great :hugs:
Thx! :hugs:
Omg, I'm sorry i just burst out laughing :lol: :rofl:
I'd be worried if I hadn't erm :pee:yet...

Edit: Muttley i actually cannot stop laughing :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads