This is the real life, deffo not fantasy - caught in a pandemic & starting university

Watch
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Edit: Muttley i actually cannot stop laughing :nah:
Typo strikes but glad it made you laugh
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
your room looks lovely :hugs:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
05/10/2020

:wavey: long time no see :danceboy:

Last weeks rundown:

- Friday just gone I met my academic tutor virtually via Microsoft Teams, I was so nervous beforehand but they seem nice enough. The meeting wasn't really about anything in particular aside from introductions etc :yes: Later that day I went to the library because I needed to print some stuff. I feel like a bit of an imposter in that library as its a bit fancy :giggle: In the evening I retired to my room early because everyone else got drunk and started being extremely noisy and loud I ended up watching Enola Holmes on Netflix which actually turned out to be an enjoyable watch

Rant warning

Spoiler:
Show
Talking of mess the shared kitchen with my flatmates is actually disgusting. I swear apart from me and a couple of people, the rest of them do not know how to clean :mad:

- Saturday I met up with my Aunt to go for a big shop :awesome: I got some storage boxes to organise my top shelf because it is slightly messy, sausages, bacon, and some other food items :thumbsup: The price kinda alarmed me but I definitely don't need to go shopping for a while now which is good. My Mum phoned me to tell me my printer has been ordered and my Dad went to collect his new phone He's been planning on upgrading it for ages due to his current one being so slow it was almost going to be throwed against a brick wall (it was from the bank apparently :rolleyes: ).

- Yesterday I did some cleaning, and applied for a job it's in a supermarket so I had to do those online situational store type questions, so we'll see if I get any confirmation/rejection about that, the questions weren't too hard so fingers crossed. The evening was spent not feeling so great as I felt really cold and ended up putting the heating on and going to bed early :moon:

Back to today I think I'm doing a pub quiz later with flatmates which should be good - not sure how we're doing the teams yet though :nah:

Hope everyone's had a good weekend :grouphugs:

tags

Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank for the update - perhaps you need a flat meeting to get a cleaning rota going?

Sadly some students are taught to clean up after themselves
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Good luck with getting the job :woo:
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
enola holmes is great :awesome:
good luck for the job application!
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
08/10/2020

:hi: and good evening! :moon:

3 days into this week and :sleep: I think me and sleep is going to be a recurring part of this blog to be honest. However I was talking to one of my flatmates earlier and it seems like its not just me :woo::nah:

- Monday evening we went to do a pub quiz :awesome: our team came last but it was fun. Did not help I was the only sober person on the team

- Tuesday I had my first online seminar for Academic skills via Blackboard :awesome: The lecturer person talked for a bit and then separated us into breakout rooms of about 3/4 people. In the breakout rooms we were basically just introducing ourselves as these would be our groups for the end of the academic year. Ngl it was slightly awkward, at one point I thought my internet connection was going to cut off because it was being so slow transferring me into the group room :hmmmm:

- Tuesday afternoon I did not realise the workshop I had was a in real life one until it was 10 minutes before so I had to run from my accommodation to a building I've never seen or visited in my life :hide: :eek3: Do not want to experience that again. Found it eventually by asking the track and trace lady at the entrance desk in library but luckily it was right next door.

- The workshop was a chemistry one :yucky: I sat in the direction the lecturer pointed me to sit. There was about 20 of us but apparently it was meant to be busier because people hadn't turned up (apparently one of the quietest workshops the lecturers had). We were doing chemical calculations.

This post has been interrupted by some breaking news

Spoiler:
Show
I think I might be a dumb dumb in chemistry. I am not a big fan of chemistry. What was I thinking :sad: I emailed my academic tutor person to see if I could change my foundation chemistry module to the environment module, but they suggested not to because of there's a bit chemistry aspects in the earlier bit of the degree.

Moving on.

Later on Tuesday evening I spent some time in the kitchen with flatmates, turned out we all know Eurovision songs pretty well :woo: one lad really likes it, as well as myself so we were just playing Eurovision songs on the bluetooth speaker :yep:

I spent Wednesday in the library printing off everything to try and get some organisation into place. Some guy asked me how to print, went to help him because I felt bad for him, he managed to print eventually :awesome: I went to the local shop to get food and walked home in the rain (it's been constantly raining recently :hmmmm: Once I was home I sorted out lecture slides, from notes, and workshop questions etc.
Wednesday evening was spent doing a pre lab quiz and doing laundry. The pre lab quiz I need to score at least 90% or just over to be able to do the actual lab practical. This is really stressing me out because if we don't get enough points we get a 0 in the practical lab, so this literally so perfect for anxiety :sadnod:

Today has been spent trying to complete the last 3 questions on the quiz because I keep scoring 70% As a break I went for a walk to collect my amazon parcel from the locker which was just some textbooks off my reading lists, and a rucksack because the zip on my current one is broken, and the bags holey. It was a very heavy box :yep: I ended up emailing the workshop person for help because the questions either are tricky or I'm just overthinking them. I messaged my friend back home about it, and turned out one of her parents has a chemistry degree so have helped me with one of the questions. One of the questions I was part right but ended up missing a step :facepalm: it didn't help I thought the question was a sum, where in fact it just needed you to find the right element on the periodic table :bricks:

Just now I've been watching a bit of YouTube, and watched Julie Nolke's recent video :rofl: Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day especially since its almost the weekend :thumbsup:

Tags

Last edited by Chronoscope; 9 months ago
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Thank for the update - perhaps you need a flat meeting to get a cleaning rota going?

Sadly some students are taught to clean up after themselves
:hugs:
Quite possibly. There was around three of us in the kitchen this evening and I think they're more annoyed at the situation than I am :eek:
(Original post by Becca216)
Good luck with getting the job :woo:
Thank you! :penguinhug:
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
enola holmes is great :awesome:
good luck for the job application!
It is indeed great :five: wasn't expecting the twist though :nah:
Thanks! :penguinhug:
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
chemistry is hard :sadnod: you'll get the hang of it though!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
:hugs:
Quite possibly. There was around three of us in the kitchen this evening and I think they're more annoyed at the situation than I am :eek:

Thank you! :penguinhug:
Of course I meant sadly some students are NOT taught how to clean up after themselves - a rota is the way forward. I think Chemistry can be tough but you can crack it :hugs:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
13/10/2020

:hi: Its been a pretty busy weekend! I typed this out earlier on TSR but it deleted it, so I’m now doing it on a another word document

- Thursday, I managed to pass the online pre-lab quiz! :woo: The quiz was 10 questions worth 10 points each, so you had to get nearly every question correct. Some of it was way too hard at first but managed to get 92%, after 12 attempts. Gosh some of those questions felt really hard :eek4:

- Friday evening we had a scooter race outside the accommodation We’ve tried doing scooter racing on our landing but annoyingly there’s not a lot of space. There’s a random studio room just outside our landing and they probably hate us because of the noise :giggle: :yikes: I think a few of the others knocked on their door a few times to introduced themselves, or so they could join in, if they were lonely, but they haven’t replied ah well.

- Saturday my parents came down to visit me :love: They also dropped off a few things I’d forgotten, plus my printer and my bike – hopefully the bike will definitely come in useful getting to different parts of campus because one of the buildings I will probably be going to a lot, is literally is literally ages away from my accommodation which is a pain if you forget something.

In the afternoon we went to Morrisons for something to eat. I got a cheeseburger and chips which were delicious :yum: Shopping was done to replenish some things like milk etc. Later on we went to visit my uncle and aunt and their dogs Went back to my room where we ate cake before my parents left once again.

Dog pictures :heart:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20201010_191720.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  96.8 KB
Name:  20201010_191935.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  109.7 KB

- Didn’t do much on Sunday apart from sleep did some filing in the afternoon, as the folders I sent off for came

Name:  20201011_162455.jpg
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  20201011_161716.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

- Yesterday, I watched all of my maths lectures which aren’t as hard as I feared, I know quite a bit of the stuff already, but some of it I just need to brush up on. I also did some work for my Academic Skills module due to having a quiz on that.

Today

- Attended one tutorial, one seminar, and a drop in today (feeling v productive today). The tutorial was for maths – the lecturer seems so nice. Anyway in that we were just discussing what kind of mathematics background we had, and how we're finding uni so far . Feel kinda relieved that there’s other people aside from me who haven’t had done maths since GCSE.
- For the seminar (that was for academic skills) we were separated into breakout groups of about 4 people. The problem is there’s only really me and another girl who actually speak atm which kinda makes it awkward if there's awkward silences.

- Had lunch which consisted of an omelette and some toast :yum:

- Went back to my bedroom to log back on for chemistry, went to the bathroom but when I was washing my hands, I noticed there was this small thin BUG slithering. Idk how the f*** it got in there? :afraid:There's only one small hole by the shower but I think that's for something with the shower :confused: Its been raining so I suppose that could be a factor :hmmmm: I decided the best option was to squash it out of slight panic, so I tried trapping it with random objects but it kept escaping. Then out of even more panic because I didn't want to miss the next class I ended up squirting degreaser, then my tissue box accidently fell off my shelf and er I think squashed it :eek4: Now I feel bad, but I dear god hope there isn't any more of those things up that pipe. Idk if I should report to halls maintenance or not...:hide:

- The drop in was for chemistry, that just ended up being for random questions people have. Idk if Blackboard was down or something but there seemed to be a lot of voice distortion going on. Someone made a group chat which is really handy I also found out that other people haven’t even STARTED the pre-lab quiz yet :yikes: so maybe I’m not as behind as what I think :nah:

Tags

Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well done Chrono - it all sounds good :hugs:

Can help point you at good maths resources if you get stuck
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You guys seem energetic. Can I borrow some of that energy? I'm procrastinating my AS-level Economics Homework.
I need motivation
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Update: I've just logged a report for the silverfish at my uni halls hotline thing, and they're going to arrange a time with me so they can send Maintainence round to sort it out (I dom't want any more :no: )

Well done Chrono - it all sounds good :hugs:

Can help point you at good maths resources if you get stuck
Ty so much! :penguinhug:
(Original post by Imhere2help)
You guys seem energetic. Can I borrow some of that energy? I'm procrastinating my AS-level Economics Homework.
I need motivation
:console:

The ultimate recipe for energy

1. Buy a kiddie scooter
2. Throw potatoes and lemons out of windows ideally at someone who you live with
3. Never wash up kitchen items

(Although ngl i think almost everyone went to bed at 7:30 last night :giggle: )
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Update: I've just logged a report for the silverfish at my uni halls hotline thing, and they're going to arrange a time with me so they can send Maintainence round to sort it out (I dom't want any more :no: )

Ty so much! :penguinhug:

:console:

The ultimate recipe for energy

1. Buy a kiddie scooter
2. Throw potatoes and lemons out of windows ideally at someone who'se your roomate
3. Never wash up kitchen items

(Although ngl i think almost everyone went to bed at 7:30 last night :giggle: )
Alright, cheers m8
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Silverfish are a sign of damp
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Silverfish are a sign of damp
:eek3: i will just hope there aren't any more
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
:eek3: i will just hope there aren't any more
Hopefully they will treat the area which will kill them all - however they need to find out why they are there ...
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
20/10/2020

:wavey: long time no see so much has happened, so I’ll just do the highlights :yes:

- Our flat has been given a final warning noise complaint – it was a Friday at about 9:30, it wasn’t even loud (I was in my room), but I suppose noise can travel

- Reported my radiator to maintenance because since I’ve moved in its been very temperamental (sometimes it only comes on twice a day or not at all). Everyone else’s comes on when they want it to… :iiam: Anyway someone from maintenance came to check it said it worked fine, but also gave me plug in heater which is very kind. Hypothyroidism + cold room = bad combo, especially since some nights I’ve gone to bed shivering due to cold intolerance.

- Did some shopping at the one shop our flat’s nicknamed ‘the dodgy corner shop’ which isn’t dodgy or a corner shop :lol:
- Skyped my parents, they showed me the dog, omg I miss her so much :love: :heart:

- Idk what happened last night it was so strange, but I just started crying over chemistry :sad: The thing was this morning I was looking at chem/bio work and a small bit of chemistry jigsaw has ‘clicked’ so some of it makes sense. Is this some strange phenomenon?

- Over the weekend watched ‘ The Babysitters Guide to Monster Hunting’ which was a enjoyable watch. Plus, it has Tom Felton in it :]awesome:

Chemistry
Last Wednesday had my first chemistry lab/practical which was 4 hours long. Let’s just say it was a train wreck experience :cry2: Managed to finish the titrations for the experiment I was doing, but I still need to complete a few loose ends in my lab book. I think it was a mix of being overwhelmed by everything, so I went to hide in the toilets for about 5 minutes. I think I’ll feel better if I get some of the things off my chest so here we go:

1. Glasses + science goggles = bad combination for reading small digits like on a burette
2. Everyone left before me
3. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing
4. The dead silence just made it harder to concentrate despite preferring silence

- When I got back home I made a hot chocolate, one of my flat mates suggested a nap. Ended up taking a nap Fell asleep at 4ish at woke up at 9 still with a headache so called it a day.

- Yesterday evening, prepped chemistry workshop questions which weren't as tricky
- Today I came 4th in a Kahoot quiz in the chemistry workshop – there was about 20 people in there, so that's m :woo:

Biology
Still going through lecture notes. I have my first biology lab next week, which I really hope will go better than the chemistry one.

Maths
Maths has been going pretty well, refreshed my memory of a few things I’ve forgotten, like standard form and algebraic fractions. Used my whiteboard for a lot of the questions as I find I waste less paper then.

Academic skills
Prepped my notes yesterday. Completed a mandatory blackboard quiz which went well. Had terrible internet connection for online class this morning though as it completely cut out, so I had to use my phone instead. A good thing that happened is that I’m now in a group chat for that class

Hope everyone's ok! :grouphugs:

Tags

Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks for the update p does the radiator have a thermostat which might be stopping it coming on?

Whoops re the noise - probably very poor sound insulation - what happens if there are complaints again?

Sorry you found the Chemistry a bit overwhelming hopefully it won't be the same next time.

Keep going and tag me if you need links to specific topics in Maths .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (68)
11.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.34%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.15%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (62)
10.65%
Financial worries (37)
6.36%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.84%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (58)
9.97%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed