Skin picking

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey! I'm sorry because this is kind of not very nice to talk about. I have a really bad habit of using nail clippers to clip the skin off my feet. I find it extremely difficult to stop doing this and I feel the urge a lot. Currently, I'm sitting in bed and my feet are really hurting because of how sore I've been making them. Over the past few months, I've been in pain when I've been out walking because of the soreness and my habit and right now I'm pretty much tip toeing when I want to walk somewhere because it's really hurting. It's a long shot but is this worth checking out? I don't want to waste the time of any professionals. Has anyone had some sort of similar issue, or is it just me? I'm sorry for this post, but I was wondering what I should do as I feel like it's gone a bit too far and it's slightly embarrassing so it would be awkward to tell anyone really.
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey! I'm sorry because this is kind of not very nice to talk about. I have a really bad habit of using nail clippers to clip the skin off my feet. I find it extremely difficult to stop doing this and I feel the urge a lot. Currently, I'm sitting in bed and my feet are really hurting because of how sore I've been making them. Over the past few months, I've been in pain when I've been out walking because of the soreness and my habit and right now I'm pretty much tip toeing when I want to walk somewhere because it's really hurting. It's a long shot but is this worth checking out? I don't want to waste the time of any professionals. Has anyone had some sort of similar issue, or is it just me? I'm sorry for this post, but I was wondering what I should do as I feel like it's gone a bit too far and it's slightly embarrassing so it would be awkward to tell anyone really.
Is this skin the hard, dead cualloused skin or healthy skin?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Yeah i do this to my thumbs when im nervous i automatically start scratching my thumb and next to the nail, the skin peels until it literally bleeds. Its so bad that i tried to stop by putting plasters on my thumbs every morning, so when i automatically started trying to peel the skin, the plaster would block it. Didn't work though as i ran out of plasters and now just still do it
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
Yeah i do this to my thumbs when im nervous i automatically start scratching my thumb and next to the nail, the skin peels until it literally bleeds. Its so bad that i tried to stop by putting plasters on my thumbs every morning, so when i automatically started trying to peel the skin, the plaster would block it. Didn't work though as i ran out of plasters and now just still do it
Hi there don't answer if this is too personal but have you been diagnosed with OCD or anxiety by any chance?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Hi there don't answer if this is too personal but have you been diagnosed with OCD or anxiety by any chance?
I havent been diagnosed with anything really. I dont think i have severe enough symptoms. I mean i deffo have anxiety but i believe most people have anxiety. I just get nervous sometimes but doesn't stop me from doing anything. Deffo have OCD too but like i said, its not severe.

This is also SOOO strange so dont laugh. But to relax/go to sleep at night i automatically find a piece of soft fabric (could be my pj top or my pillow cover) and i literally scratch it between my thumb/finger. Ive always done that since i was a baby and i cant stop it just happens automatically. Maybe its correlated with the thumb skin thing. If im wearing a soft top, ill do it during the day too. How absolutely embarrassing. My thumbs look awful btw, all that skin over many years being scratched off
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
Is this skin the hard, dead cualloused skin or healthy skin?
It's whatever I can clip, mostly dead skin but also healthy skin if I can clip it.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
I havent been diagnosed with anything really. I dont think i have severe enough symptoms. I mean i deffo have anxiety but i believe most people have anxiety. I just get nervous sometimes but doesn't stop me from doing anything. Deffo have OCD too but like i said, its not severe.

This is also SOOO strange so dont laugh. But to relax/go to sleep at night i automatically find a piece of soft fabric (could be my pj top or my pillow cover) and i literally scratch it between my thumb/finger. Ive always done that since i was a baby and i cant stop it just happens automatically. Maybe its correlated with the thumb skin thing. If im wearing a soft top, ill do it during the day too. How absolutely embarrassing. My thumbs look awful btw, all that skin over many years being scratched off
Maybe you could try things like stim toys so like fidget spinners, slime... to distract yourself?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Maybe you could try things like stim toys so like fidget spinners, slime... to distract yourself?
Thank u i will definitely try that. But i usually do that when im nervous so when im in class or something. Its better nowadays because im aware of it so i stop myself quickly.
Mominos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My feet got so dry and rough and I picked until they hurt badly. It's a nervous habit and I started having pedicures to help but isolation for a year made it worse than ever. I'm soaking my foot now and will add antibiotic cream and socks. I don't know any other way of stopping it
xDmochi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah that’s not a good idea
I think the only way to break the habit is to focus on something else
Honestly chewing your nails is not good, but better
Your quite literally taking off the calluses on your foot, and picking at the skin. Calluses might look unpleasant but they aren’t noticeable and help with soreness. Usually new skin grows back, but since it’s on your foot, the pressure sill make it take far longer, making it prone to infections, which would be more expensive to take care of then either going to your doctor or stopping.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%