This discussion is closed.
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
epq doesn't count as an a level
OP knows but it is still an extended essay that can get u lower offers at uni so it is still important
justjas33
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sweet Heart bab)
Some uni counts tho
Nope they honestly don’t care how many a-levels you have as long as it’s the standard 3 (or the equivalent of 3) a-levels! UCL is the only uni I recall that wants a language even if the degree you’re applying to has nothing to do with languages.
Last edited by justjas33; 1 year ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Nope they honestly don’t care how many a-levels you have as long as it’s the standard 3 (or the equivalent of 3) a-levels! UCL is the only uni I recall that wants a language even if the degree you’re applying to has nothing to do with languages.
It's only desired at GCSE and if you don't have it then you just have to do a course when you're there.
yhuss98
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ....me)
Epq is still a course which you get graded on at the end of the year. Think about it as 4 and a half then. Is that realistic? Work experience and enrichments on top of that.
An EPQ is technically an AS level so you could say 5 Alevels then one AS level
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yhuss98)
An EPQ is technically an AS level so you could say 5 Alevels then one AS level
Technically its not - it's a Level 3 Extended Project Qualification - but it's certainly not an A level.
yhuss98
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
Technically its not - it's a Level 3 Extended Project Qualification - but it's certainly not an A level.
I’m talking about equivalency? It offers the same UCAS points as that of an AS level would? So it is equivalent to an AS level not an A Level, as OP said the person was doing 6 a levels but an EPQ is the equiv. as an AS not an A Level
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yhuss98)
I’m talking about equivalency? It offers the same UCAS points as that of an AS level would? So it is equivalent to an AS level not an A Level, as OP said the person was doing 6 a levels but an EPQ is the equiv. as an AS not an A Level
Actually it doesn't offer the same UCAS points as an AS - it's slightly better (plus the A* is available) https://www.ucas.com/file/63536/download?token=sxmdfCS- but I agree it is better thought of with AS rather than with A levels.
justjas33
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's only desired at GCSE and if you don't have it then you just have to do a course when you're there.
Ah right, thank you for the clarification! In that case, OP’s friend doesn’t have to have a language at all at A-Level
justjas33
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Actually it doesn't offer the same UCAS points as an AS - it's slightly better (plus the A* is available) https://www.ucas.com/file/63536/download?token=sxmdfCS- but I agree it is better thought of with AS rather than with A levels.
PRISOM

Yup, most sixth forms/colleges/sixth form colleges run the EPQ during AS. At A-Level students already have heaps on their plates with uni applications, coursework and general stress lol, AS is the best time to get it done
WiseWomen
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Don't do extra subjects if you only need 3 for uni:confused:
royalty1702
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WiseWomen)
Don't do extra subjects if you only need 3 for uni:confused:
nah it can be useful. I got an A* in my 4th subject, makes my results look better.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
the tendency on this site is to be overwhelmingly against > 3 A-levels but breadth can be useful, a fourth can be a safety net, and a very small minority of courses offer based on or encourage 4, (quite common if you do fm and take maths in y12 and fm in y13 too) etc. I don't think there's no reason at all to take 4, but more than that does get excessive. also if you're unsure on your choices - it is far preferable to start with 4 then drop down than choose 3, realise you don't like one too late, and possibly be stuffed. Just thought I'd put that out there.

And anyway, the workload of maths+fm+phys+chem+epq wouldn't quite be the same as 5 different a-levels. The workload of maths+fm I'd say is less than 2 unrelated A-levels and the EPQ isn't the workload of a whole A-level either. I'd say start with all 4, see how she copes, then drop down if need be. The EPQ would be the first candidate since it doesn't always reduce offers, only one of the unis I applied to considered it, the others may have liked to but viewed it as unfair since not everyone has the opportunity to complete one.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
yhuss98
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ohh I thought an A was the highest grade at EPQ did they change this recently - maybe when A levels changed to non-linear?
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
this isnt helpful is it?
its just u lot arguing about whether the EPQ is an AS level or not but thats not constructive or helpful to the thread starters situation
yhuss98
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by owlknightdragon)
this isnt helpful is it?
its just u lot arguing about whether the EPQ is an AS level or not but thats not constructive or helpful to the thread starters situation
Lol true that. Sorry haha
But At least OP should know that 6 A Levels isnt right rather
It is 5 A levels and then an AS level (or if u prefer 5 A Levels and EPQ)
....me
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
this isnt helpful is it?
Yup hahah that’s why I didn’t even bother replying. 🤠
METRIX64
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
well shes already taken an a level early that knocks it down to 5
epq isnt an a level so that knocks it down to 4 which is pretty much what every a level student starts off with in sixth form
4 A Levels is for top level students who are Grade 8 +
Most do 3 A Levels
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
8.33%
Okay (7)
29.17%
A bit lacking (7)
29.17%
Not good at all (8)
33.33%

Watched Threads