Variables Stars on the main sequence?

Watch
at.midnight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Do the bit at the bottom of the photo (the past inside the red box I highlighted in pink) apply to all variable stars or is it just for the RR Lyre stars given in the example?

Name:  BF0BB9FF-4D97-4A04-95D5-80CD7E8CC887.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  32.8 KB
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'd totally avoid making any general statements about *all variable stars* cos each type of variable star is different.

E. G. Most astronomers would say the Sun is variable' and that's main sequence.
at.midnight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Joinedup So most variable stars are main sequence stars?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by at.midnight)
Joinedup So most variable stars are main sequence stars?
TBH I'm not sure

Variable is a catch-all term for stars that have been observed vary in apparent magnitude (as seen from earth)

That splits down into two categories

Intrinsic variables which are variable because the luminosity of the star varies

Extrinsic variables which are variable for some extraneous reason such as being in an eclipsing binary system or being having the light blocked by an accretion disk (or exoplanets)

The majority of stars are binaries but most of them won't be orbiting in a plane that'll make an eclipse visible to us

If you were able to wait long enough I suppose they'd all vary eventually.- the main sequence is a phase that stars pass through. A protostar varies in luminosity to get on to the main sequence and it'll inevitably vary again when it leaves the main sequence.

---
You'll probably only have to worry about variables that can be used as standard candles* and perhaps variability caused by an exoplanet being used as a method of discovering exoplanetary systems.

e.g. type Ia supernovae (cataclysmic variable is a subcategory of intrinsic)
Cepheids and RR Lyrae (periodic variables)

periodic variables similar to Cepheids (and RR Lyrae) only occur in a fairly small part of the Hertzsprung Russell diagram though...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.92%
I don't have everything I need (193)
43.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed