Are protests becoming a hobby?

Watch
anime<3gaming
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It just seems like protests in general are becoming like a hobby. Theres always a protest for something or something to little. But it always seems to be the same people. Like going to one this week and then another next week and the next tomorrow. And the more I see them they sort of meld into one and even the protesters themselves dont even know what is what.

There was an E-R one yesterday in London (or day before?) possibly about Heathrow? But one was being interviewed and she spoke about wanting to change the 'system' and change the world. Then she brought up 'revolution' that revolution is not violent and then spoke about wanting to change how Westminister operated.

So to me, every protest seems to meld into one because again its something thats lost its meaning. Theres possibly one thing they are getting from it and its just selfies and good for the Instagram account. Its for social media. To show how good you look.

If I had the choice between a protest or work or a protest and school, I would never choose protest. Although I would probably skip school if I was going back to those years but it wouldnt be my call to make. My parents would say no and I would be in trouble. And yet now it seems like you CAN skip school to protest. I asked my younger brother about it last year. He had no idea about what the protest was for, it was just a day out in town
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well some treat it as a profession *cough, momentum supporters, cough* so no reason it shouldnt be viewed as a hobby by some. I've certainly come across a few who go to them for the hell of it these days
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep absolutely. I think people see XR protests or BLM protests, and think "yeah looks like a decent cause". Then head into central London for a day out and a nice walk around with their friends. Of course some people are genuinely passionate about the movement, but I feel for many it's their way of looking like some sort of 'saviour' for the cause while just wanting a day out. It's no surprise the turnout at protests is significantly lower in poorer weather! People aren't as invested in the cause as their placards lead you to believe.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Absolutely. The same people that turned up at the BLM protests will now be supporting extinction rebellion. Not to be too stereotypical, and I realise this a student forum, however they are usually white middle class university students who have no issue with money, no idea how the world works, and ultimately, are snowflakes. In my opinion anyway.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think for some people it is a hobby, or at the very least, they are joining some because it is a hobby for friends of theirs.
Joleee
Report 3 weeks ago
do some people attend a protest just for a fun day out or to see what it's all about - yes absolutely and it's always has been that way. but that doesn't mean there aren't those that do it because they genuinely believe in protesting and believe in their cause. like there is a reason freedom of assembly and association is one of those things protected by the ECHR.

some very important political issues have been raised through protesting, especially involving human and civil rights and it's not just about getting governments to change but society as well. personally don't remember attending any protest on purpose but tbh it doesn't make me proud to say that.
Last edited by Joleee; 3 weeks ago
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Absolutely. The same people that turned up at the BLM protests will now be supporting extinction rebellion. Not to be too stereotypical, and I realise this a student forum, however they are usually white middle class university students who have no issue with money, no idea how the world works, and ultimately, are snowflakes. In my opinion anyway.
Yes I can actually understand this. Its like about 2 months ago or something there was a march for 'Black Trans people' And I dont even think there was a single black person among them. They were all white kids aged between 18 - 25.

Another understanding is that they all support mass illegal migration to the point where its complete human trafficking. They are not bothered about thousands coming per month but they all live in areas that are more or less safe, an area where you are okay walking around at night where you dont have to watch your back. But communities can warp and change. I live in Leeds and we have both safe/dangerous areas. Areas with a high-crime rate and areas where you might get something seriously bad once or twice a year. As opposed to just every night. But my point being; once their areas begin to change, they will simply move out. But soon the day will come where every area in the UK will be like Armley. Armley and Harehills are Leeds areas. And they are VERY bad. High-crime rate, drugs, stabbings and sometimes rape. I'm lucky to live in a decent area but I feel as though sometime in the future, the young ones in my family will have a dangerous future
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
do some people attend a protest just for a fun day out or to see what it's all about - yes absolutely and it's always has been that way. but that doesn't mean there aren't those that do it because they genuinely believe in protesting and believe in their cause. like there is a reason freedom of assembly and association is one of those things protected by the ECHR.

some very important political issues have been raised through protesting, especially involving human and civil rights and it's not just about getting governments to change but society as well. personally don't remember attending any protest on purpose but tbh it doesn't make me proud to say that.
Yeah obviously I'd never be against protesting. Sometimes protesting is the only way to bring change but only when its reflected among the majority. I feel like we are constantly seeing the same people protesting. So they will protest about womens right and the following week they will protest that women need to be forced to wear masks in public for e.g.

I feel as though the only genuine protesters are those with really old phones or just no phones at all. Lets take away phones or social media, how many do you think will show then. Because thats what a lot of it seems to be about, Facebook posts, photos, likes. Its same with the clapping for the NHS thing which turned into like a religion. I thought it was a one-off and like a good luck to them due to the uncertainty at the time. I took part outside my window. But it was more of a thank you for helping others in my family. My mother nearly died giving birth to my older bro. So I got that. But then it was again, and again, and again and before you knew it you could easily tell who was doing it just because they had a camera pointed towards them. For the likes and reacts etc. I'll add pots and pans to it and make a noise, get more likes. So to me, its not from the heart. Thats like being silent for V-day but you only want to do it when theres a camera pointed at you. Its not from the heart.
Joleee
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anime<3gaming)
Yeah obviously I'd never be against protesting. Sometimes protesting is the only way to bring change but only when its reflected among the majority. I feel like we are constantly seeing the same people protesting. So they will protest about womens right and the following week they will protest that women need to be forced to wear masks in public for e.g.

I feel as though the only genuine protesters are those with really old phones or just no phones at all. Lets take away phones or social media, how many do you think will show then. Because thats what a lot of it seems to be about, Facebook posts, photos, likes. Its same with the clapping for the NHS thing which turned into like a religion. I thought it was a one-off and like a good luck to them due to the uncertainty at the time. I took part outside my window. But it was more of a thank you for helping others in my family. My mother nearly died giving birth to my older bro. So I got that. But then it was again, and again, and again and before you knew it you could easily tell who was doing it just because they had a camera pointed towards them. For the likes and reacts etc. I'll add pots and pans to it and make a noise, get more likes. So to me, its not from the heart. Thats like being silent for V-day but you only want to do it when theres a camera pointed at you. Its not from the heart.
i haven't had a phone in 5 years so i guess i'm exonerated

your phone is a powerful tool to advertise your cause tho. why should a protest be limited to those who attend it in 2020? if i organised a protest and those that came out only to watch me gave me free advertising i certainly would not complain. you need to see big picture perspective.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For a long time, protests have been mostly the same people coming out for anything vaguely anti-government, no matter what that colour that government is. I'm not really sure why we should bother listening to them.
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
For a long time, protests have been mostly the same people coming out for anything vaguely anti-government, no matter what that colour that government is. I'm not really sure why we should bother listening to them.
A lot you tend to see in London will have a 'refugees welcome' rally. So they want thousands upon thousands to come illegally per year. Whilst at the same time organise a protest about saving the planet and green energy. So its contradictory because the more people you have in the country it becomes over-populated. Thats more demand for energy, more demand for housing, less green and more demand for petrol and cars etc. And yet they will attend both
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Apart from the last bit, you are quite right. But do you not find that interesting. In the past, it was typically the oppressed working classes that would protest and usually because they were struggling to make ends meet.

Do you not think that it is refreshing that it is those concerned for others that are marching, and for things that are actually good for society as a whole? I know there are many on here (perhaps yourself included) who take pride on being nasty to others by calling them derogatory terms, but is that really what you want a civilised society to be like? Can we not rise above petite name calling?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Apart from the last bit, you are quite right. But do you not find that interesting. In the past, it was typically the oppressed working classes that would protest and usually because they were struggling to make ends meet.

Do you not think that it is refreshing that it is those concerned for others that are marching, and for things that are actually good for society as a whole? I know there are many on here (perhaps yourself included) who take pride on being nasty to others by calling them derogatory terms, but is that really what you want a civilised society to be like? Can we not rise above petite name calling?
In short, no. Because at times these people are protesting for people that simply do not want their help.

The ‘feminists’ are a fantastic example of this. Remember all the hu hah about the F1 Grid girls and ring girls at boxing they made? Neither party wanted their help, yet the feminists protested against it. Funny however that all that did was fuel the traditional feminist stereotype. When you saw who was protesting it was hardly a surprise that they didn’t want attractive girls prancing round in shorts.

Furious Formula 1 'grid girls' who were fired from their jobs say they've 'lost important income because feminists think they know best' - that was a headline from the argument I’m referring to.
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 3 weeks ago
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
In short, no. Because at times these people are protesting for people that simply do not want their help.

The ‘feminists’ are a fantastic example of this. Remember all the hu hah about the F1 Grid girls and ring girls at boxing they made? Neither party wanted their help, yet the feminists protested against it. Funny however that all that did was fuel the traditional feminist stereotype. When you saw who was protesting it was hardly a surprise that they didn’t want attractive girls prancing round in shorts.

Furious Formula 1 'grid girls' who were fired from their jobs say they've 'lost important income because feminists think they know best' - that was a headline from the argument I’m referring to.
I was actually going to throw an example in. "helping others on their behalf so they dont have to do anything" It just doesnt work like that and has been proven to. If you want to help people simply approach them and ask, dont take action on their behalf as its not always going to work.

The recent BLM protests/riots simply dont help black people or anyone for that matter. The original idea was to protest against police brutality which is always something I'll be for but theres always a fine line between police simply doing their job and those that may go a little overboard, condemning entire police forces is not fair and not every policeman is white. Burning businesses and shops also destroys the jobs of other people who may also be black or brown.

Theres also those who get offended on behalf of others who simply dont give a rats rear. A recent example would be the PS4 game Ghost of Tsushima. Made by Americans thats set in ancient Japan. Because it was made in America some call it cultural appropriation. It was a well recieved game especially in Japan. I dont at all call it cultural appropriation. I'd call it cultural appreciation
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Furious Formula 1 'grid girls' who were fired from their jobs say they've 'lost important income because feminists think they know best'
You are quite right of course. The only true purpose of women is to look pretty for men. I mean - they were paid well enough. And all of these women wanting more than that, to be treated equally and judged on their ability and not their looks - talk about trying to punch above their station? </irony>
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads