Career change - should I take this Masters place at LSE

Watch
Underscored
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, I originally posted this in the LSE forum but thought I'd post here too just in case it gets any traction!

I'm due to start the Msc Media and Communications (Data and Society) at LSE later this month, however, I'm having major second thoughts about doing it.

I originally applied as part of a bunch of Journalism/Media applications, with the intention that this one would be my broader option that could potentially lead to other jobs outside of Media and Comms. I know someone who took this exact course and managed to pivot from PR to business and technology integration with a huge IT consultancy firm and I would be hoping to make sort of the same move. I had originally wanted to go into financial journalism, however, I have since decided to close the book on journalism completely and try to break into something more directly related to the business/tech world, like consulting.

My dream jobs would be like in the Digital arm of MBB or the business/tech consulting arms of one of the Big 4 firms. I know the course isn't the perfect route into one of those jobs, but as I don't have a place on something more relevant at LSE I thought it might be my best bet for breaking into that industry. Does anyone have any advice on if I should take it or not? I have reasons for and against that I'll list out below.

Reasons for taking it
LSE is a target uni for that industry and I come from an arts/humanities background so it would be really good for networking with the kind of people I want to work with
I think I could use the career resources/employer events/societies to make myself a really good consulting candidate even with my less typical consulting background
Even though the course is a bit irrelevant to what I want to do there are options to take modules in the Management/Methodology departments that focus on the quantitative/commercial skills that I'd need as a consultant
I have asked if there's any possibility of switching onto the Master of Information Systems and Digital Innovation programme, which would be the dream. It might be a long shot as it's super competitive but if there is a chance it could happen, I think it's worth starting Media and Comms just in case
I was thinking of giving my dissertation a really strong business/data visualisation focus and playing up the tech/social sciences element of the course to show how it's relevant to tech consultancy
It's too late to apply to business programmes now and I don't want to waste a year/I feel like I should just make the best I can out of the situation
MBB seem to care more about their target unis than what you've done anyway

Reasons for not taking it
I might just be being too idealistic in thinking that this course might lead in the direction I want it to go
If I don't make any headway with consulting I'd really rather not go back to PR/Comms
I have truly no desire to work in Media and Communications
It makes me feel a bit queasy to have 'Msc Media and Communications' on my CV, even if it is from LSE and with a focus on Data and the digital economy
I don't want to waste my time/money if it is going to be useless in paving this path (but equally not doing a Masters this year would feel like a waste of time too)
As I don't have endless money to spend on Masters degrees I'm wondering if it'd be a better investment to apply to MBAs this year instead (but again the programmes at the good universities are super expensive so I'd need to know that it'd be worth it and I have no guarantee that I'd get in, whereas this place at LSE is all ready for me now)

Basically I don't know if I should suck it up and use the opportunity to make the transition out of the PR/marketing work I've been doing so far and make myself the best consulting candidate I can or if I should find ways to get relevant internships this year (which will obviously be really hard because of COVID/the fact that I'm not in the university system at the moment and so can't apply to those formalised summer positions)

My aunt, who used to work in Project Management at BCG said that it'd be worth it just to get in front of those companies and have LSE on my CV but I'd love to hear other opinions. I don't have any business experience so far so I do really need to do something this year.

My backup if the course is a total shitshow is to do the PGDL in January and go down the law route but I'd really rather not as it's so competitive.

Should I go through with the course? Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated as I'll only be able to drop out/make changes in the first four weeks. Thanks so much!
IBDMaster
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Underscored)
Hey, I originally posted this in the LSE forum but thought I'd post here too just in case it gets any traction!

I'm due to start the Msc Media and Communications (Data and Society) at LSE later this month, however, I'm having major second thoughts about doing it.

I originally applied as part of a bunch of Journalism/Media applications, with the intention that this one would be my broader option that could potentially lead to other jobs outside of Media and Comms. I know someone who took this exact course and managed to pivot from PR to business and technology integration with a huge IT consultancy firm and I would be hoping to make sort of the same move. I had originally wanted to go into financial journalism, however, I have since decided to close the book on journalism completely and try to break into something more directly related to the business/tech world, like consulting.

My dream jobs would be like in the Digital arm of MBB or the business/tech consulting arms of one of the Big 4 firms. I know the course isn't the perfect route into one of those jobs, but as I don't have a place on something more relevant at LSE I thought it might be my best bet for breaking into that industry. Does anyone have any advice on if I should take it or not? I have reasons for and against that I'll list out below.

Reasons for taking it
LSE is a target uni for that industry and I come from an arts/humanities background so it would be really good for networking with the kind of people I want to work with
I think I could use the career resources/employer events/societies to make myself a really good consulting candidate even with my less typical consulting background
Even though the course is a bit irrelevant to what I want to do there are options to take modules in the Management/Methodology departments that focus on the quantitative/commercial skills that I'd need as a consultant
I have asked if there's any possibility of switching onto the Master of Information Systems and Digital Innovation programme, which would be the dream. It might be a long shot as it's super competitive but if there is a chance it could happen, I think it's worth starting Media and Comms just in case
I was thinking of giving my dissertation a really strong business/data visualisation focus and playing up the tech/social sciences element of the course to show how it's relevant to tech consultancy
It's too late to apply to business programmes now and I don't want to waste a year/I feel like I should just make the best I can out of the situation
MBB seem to care more about their target unis than what you've done anyway

Reasons for not taking it
I might just be being too idealistic in thinking that this course might lead in the direction I want it to go
If I don't make any headway with consulting I'd really rather not go back to PR/Comms
I have truly no desire to work in Media and Communications
It makes me feel a bit queasy to have 'Msc Media and Communications' on my CV, even if it is from LSE and with a focus on Data and the digital economy
I don't want to waste my time/money if it is going to be useless in paving this path (but equally not doing a Masters this year would feel like a waste of time too)
As I don't have endless money to spend on Masters degrees I'm wondering if it'd be a better investment to apply to MBAs this year instead (but again the programmes at the good universities are super expensive so I'd need to know that it'd be worth it and I have no guarantee that I'd get in, whereas this place at LSE is all ready for me now)

Basically I don't know if I should suck it up and use the opportunity to make the transition out of the PR/marketing work I've been doing so far and make myself the best consulting candidate I can or if I should find ways to get relevant internships this year (which will obviously be really hard because of COVID/the fact that I'm not in the university system at the moment and so can't apply to those formalised summer positions)

My aunt, who used to work in Project Management at BCG said that it'd be worth it just to get in front of those companies and have LSE on my CV but I'd love to hear other opinions. I don't have any business experience so far so I do really need to do something this year.

My backup if the course is a total shitshow is to do the PGDL in January and go down the law route but I'd really rather not as it's so competitive.

Should I go through with the course? Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated as I'll only be able to drop out/make changes in the first four weeks. Thanks so much!
What is your background? When did you graduate? How many years of work experience (post-graduation) do you have?
Underscored
Rep:
?
(Original post by IBDMaster)
What is your background? When did you graduate? How many years of work experience (post-graduation) do you have?
Graduated from English at Exeter in 2017 and worked in tech and consumer PR for a year following graduation. Then moved on to work on the copywriting team at a major fashion eComm company where I've been for two years. I got promoted from a Junior position quicker than I thought I would after 6 months so I ended up staying a little longer than I'd originally planned but it's basically during this job, learning about how the company functions, where I'd realised that I'd rather be doing something more integral to strategy/business operations than PR/comms/advertising/marketing

I thought being a financial journalist might scratch that itch but I know I'd rather be in a professional job and doing something more numerical/ data-focused rather than just writing all the time. Because it's such a big change I thought consulting might be a better learning ground rather than doing something in-house at one company
IBDMaster
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Underscored)
Graduated from English at Exeter in 2017 and worked in tech and consumer PR for a year following graduation. Then moved on to work on the copywriting team at a major fashion eComm company where I've been for two years. I got promoted from a Junior position quicker than I thought I would after 6 months so I ended up staying a little longer than I'd originally planned but it's basically during this job, learning about how the company functions, where I'd realised that I'd rather be doing something more integral to strategy/business operations than PR/comms/advertising/marketing

I thought being a financial journalist might scratch that itch but I know I'd rather be in a professional job and doing something more numerical/ data-focused rather than just writing all the time. Because it's such a big change I thought consulting might be a better learning ground rather than doing something in-house at one company
GCSE's? A-Levels? Have you considered doing an MBA at LBS or INSEAD?
Underscored
Rep:
?
(Original post by IBDMaster)
GCSE's? A-Levels? Have you considered doing an MBA at LBS or INSEAD?
GCSEs - 9 A*s in English Lit, Eng Lang, Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, French, History and Art

A-Levels - A*AA in English, French, Art and AS History B

I basically screwed myself over and narrowed down WAY too early on account of some bad advice/guidance from my school/not really understanding how the uni application process worked/some bad mental health stuff but I have been considering just taking A-level maths independently just to show employers that I'm capable of doing it. Don't know if this would be a waste of time though.

And yeah tbh I would love to do an MBA at LBS but the tuition fees are just astronomical. I know they offer a lot in scholarship funding but how accessible is that if you can't afford it but you're not necessarily in dire need? Like not from an emerging economy, in social housing etc? Also as I wouldn't be able to start that now, I'd have to figure out what would be best for this year in terms of improving my prospects, so what might be the best course of action there?
Underscored
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thought I'd give this a quick bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (29)
19.33%
No (121)
80.67%

Watched Threads