0314Stuart
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, considering leaving school in S6. I find it incredibly boring, my friends have all left and I'm not really enjoying my subjects. I took AH Biology, H Chemistry (resit), and H Modern Studies.

I received
A- H Biology
A- H English
A- H History
B- H Maths
C- H Chemistry
I'm not enjoying school, and was wondering if whether or not me leaving in S6 would harm my chances at going to uni. I'm thinking of applying for law, biomedical science or maybe even nursing. I'm also aware of the fact that coming from a public school and having quite a poor background grades for subjects like law are sometimes reduced, to the minimum entry requirements typically. Any help or advise would be great :/
Advertisement
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 0314Stuart)
Hi, considering leaving school in S6. I find it incredibly boring, my friends have all left and I'm not really enjoying my subjects. I took AH Biology, H Chemistry (resit), and H Modern Studies.

I received
A- H Biology
A- H English
A- H History
B- H Maths
C- H Chemistry
I'm not enjoying school, and was wondering if whether or not me leaving in S6 would harm my chances at going to uni. I'm thinking of applying for law, biomedical science or maybe even nursing. I'm also aware of the fact that coming from a public school and having quite a poor background grades for subjects like law are sometimes reduced, to the minimum entry requirements typically. Any help or advise would be great :/
:wavey: Have you had a look at the university entrance requirement pages for those courses? If you're exceeding the requirements, then you shouldn't be worried about leaving after S5, so long as you're spending your time this year doing something productive. The requirements do vary a fair bit though, and for law in particular, I'm not sure that your current grades would let you access every university. You need to check whether you meet the eligibility criteria for each place you are considering applying to in terms of the reduced requirements - the factors you mentioned alone are not necessarily enough to make you eligible, as some of the universities are more specific.
Another note is that the courses you're interested in are quite competitive, and while universities have minimum entry requirements, those are not necessarily the average or median grades that people who are accepted have achieved (as the name suggests, they're the bare minimum to be considered!). If a course is over-subscribed, then grades are one way they'll narrow down the applicant pool.

I would encourage you to change your subjects if you're not enjoying them - I'd say you're not too late, but you need to do it sooner rather than later if you're going to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads