The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ramipril
I agree. Instead of telling people who are vulnerable to lock themselves away, we should be encouraging them to use common sense and make the decisions which are best for them and their quality of life. My dad is high risk but even he realised covid-19 isolation isn't worth the destruction to his mental health (and thus) by remaining isolated. Especially if his time is going to be up sooner rather than later. He was out and about before shielding was even stopped (albeit against my wishes).

i'm not telling them to lock themselves away. it's perfectly safe for them to be in open spaces like the beach, national parks etc. but why put yourself at risk and shop at supermarkets when you can get your stuff delivered?
Original post by Ramipril
I agree. Instead of telling people who are vulnerable to lock themselves away, we should be encouraging them to use common sense and make the decisions which are best for them and their quality of life. My dad is high risk but even he realised covid-19 isolation isn't worth the destruction to his mental health (and thus) by remaining isolated. Especially if his time is going to be up sooner rather than later. He was out and about before shielding was even stopped (albeit against my wishes).

I mean we were encouraged to speak with our doctors to make the best decisions for us. Shielding was only guidance. Not mandatory. You didn't have to shield if you didn't feel like it was necessary for you after speaking with people involved in your care (some people didn't even do that, they just didn't do it).
Original post by Ciel.
lol, it's been nearly a year. people need to get over covid. some patients still have limited/no access to health care/mental healthcare because of this shitshow. the lockdown is causing more misery and deaths than covid itself thanks to our now wrecked economy and no proper healthcare.

and covid + lockdown will persist as long as people like yourself refuse to show common decency and wear a mask. you want lockdown gone? try your best to prevent the spread of covid by following the rules. it’s simple.
Yes, when indoors / confined spaces. It doesn't bother me and might make a difference to someone else so no big deal.
Reply 44
Original post by MadameRazz
and covid + lockdown will persist as long as people like yourself refuse to show common decency and wear a mask. you want lockdown gone? try your best to prevent the spread of covid by following the rules. it’s simple.

covid clearly isn't going away. wearing masks is pointless. the lockdown was pointless, too. it didn't do ****. we didn't do any better than countries w/o lockdowns
Original post by Ciel.
covid clearly isn't going away. wearing masks is pointless. the lockdown was pointless, too. it didn't do ****. we didn't do any better than countries w/o lockdowns

your ignorance and your fatalistic doomsday attitude makes quite the pairing.
Reply 46
your ignorance and your fatalistic doomsday attitude makes quite the pairing.

okay, just ignore the facts then :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
okay, just ignore the facts then :smile:

that’s exactly what you’re doing, yes. if you looked at any stats you’d see wearing masks and lockdown did massively control the spread of covid. and opening up places like pubs has caused an increase. what does that tell us? people crowded together with no masks = more cases.

we’re not going to eradicate covid without a vaccine. but what we can do is slow and control the spread, and maintain transmission at a low and manageable level.

if everyone acted like you, and had your attitude, daily cases would be as bad as they were in april or even worse.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 48
that’s exactly what you’re doing, yes. if you looked at any stats you’d see wearing masks and lockdown did massively control the spread of covid. and opening up places like pubs has caused an increase. what does that tell us? people crowded together with no masks = more cases.

we’re not going to eradicate covid without a vaccine. but what we can do is slow and control the spread, and maintain transmission at a low and manageable level.

if everyone acted like you, and had your attitude, daily cases would be as bad as they were in april or even worse.

no, they wouldn't be. look at sweden. barely any new cases. literally less than 1m people in the world have died from covid. at least 10m people die from cancer each year. covid has been massively blown out of proportion.
Original post by Ciel.
no, they wouldn't be. look at sweden. barely any new cases. literally less than 1m people in the world died. at least 10m people die from cancer each year. covid has been massively blown out of proportion.

ah yes compare the uk to a vastly different country with a vastly different population and vastly different population density. because that makes sense.
Reply 50
ah yes compare the uk to a vastly different country with a vastly different population and vastly different population density. because that makes sense.

what about south korea then?
Reply 51
Original post by Ciel.

Had a contact tracing system that actually worked
Original post by Ciel.

you mean a country where it was pretty common to wear a mask when sick pre-covid? a country where society is more focused on collectivity than the individual?

countries we can only really compare ourselves to truly are places like western europe or the USA.
Reply 53
you mean a country where it was pretty common to wear a mask when sick pre-covid? a country where society is more focused on collectivity than the individual?

countries we can only really compare ourselves to truly are places like western europe or the USA.

but most people with covid don't experience any symptoms so there'd be no reason for them to wear a mask.
again, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. the lockdown has done more harm than good.
Original post by Ciel.
but most people with covid don't experience any symptoms so there'd be no reason for them to wear a mask.
again, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. the lockdown has done more harm than good.

have you lost anyone to covid?
Reply 55
have you lost anyone to covid?

nope.
Original post by Ciel.
nope.

i can tell.
Reply 57
i can tell.

perhaps it's not as deadly as it's supposed to be :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
perhaps it's not as deadly as it's supposed to be :smile:

i can assure you it’s not that. but i am very doubtful you’d be saying these things if you’d lost someone close to you. people lack empathy in this world and sadly it takes having to experience something horrible for them to change their mind.
Reply 59
i can assure you it’s not that. but i am very doubtful you’d be saying these things if you’d lost someone close to you. people lack empathy in this world and sadly it takes having to experience something horrible for them to change their mind.

you can't 'assure me it's not that'. less than 0.1% of the world population has died from covid.

Latest

Trending

Trending