I accidentally deleted a private message

Watch this thread
Roses.Are.Red
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is there any way I could get it back, or at least see who sent it to me? I deleted it before I got a chance to read it.
Abzzz57
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
Is there any way I could get it back, or at least see who sent it to me? I deleted it before I got a chance to read it.
Hi, was it a private message on here or social media? You could maybe ask the mods, if you go to the bottom of the page and go to the contact us part, there should be a page where you can ask them for help, they may be able to get the message back but I'm not 100% sure.. hopefully the person who sent it sees this and will send it again!
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I always wondered about this. Never thought to ask a mod. Keep us updated on what happens. Thanks
Roses.Are.Red
Rep:
(Original post by Abzzz57)
Hi, was it a private message on here or social media? You could maybe ask the mods, if you go to the bottom of the page and go to the contact us part, there should be a page where you can ask them for help, they may be able to get the message back but I'm not 100% sure.. hopefully the person who sent it sees this and will send it again!
Thank you! I will try and ask, hopefully they can get it back
Roses.Are.Red
Rep:
Will do!
Roses.Are.Red
Rep:
I asked in the ask the community staff forum the day before yesterday, and they managed to see who sent the message, what they said, and when they sent it. They were really helpful
username1339858_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I asked in the ask the community staff forum the day before yesterday, and they managed to see who sent the message, what they said, and when they sent it. They were really helpful
Thank you!
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
that sounds good at surface value but when you sit down and think about it, that's not good imo

PM stands for "Private message" , and private messages should be private

Mods should not be able to view people's Private messages unless it's reported imo...
Roses.Are.Red
Rep:
(Original post by ANM775)
that sounds good at surface value but when you sit down and think about it, that's not good imo

Mods should not be able to view people's Private messages unless it's reported imo...
Oh yeah, I forgot about that Maybe they aren't so private after all? But it did take them a while to find it, so maybe it's stored in a place no one really looks at unless asked.
username1339858_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Yh that was the real reason why I wanted to know ... but I suppose for security purposes it makes sense

Can they too see our deleted PMs?
ANM775
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well if they can see her deleted PM's then I'm sure they'll be able to see mine and yours too..
username1339858_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well if they can see her deleted PM's then I'm sure they'll be able to see mine and yours too..
Meh tbh it would be weird and creepy if they started to go through people's deleted PMs, I'd like to think they have more professionalism than that.
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Given how ridiculously busy the CS are i sincerely doubt they are sitting there trawling through everyone's pms
username1339858_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Given how ridiculously busy the CS are i sincerely doubt they are sitting there trawling through everyone's pms
Naww now we know why they are sooo busy :lol:

Spoiler:
Show
I am joking in case anyone needs clarification
ANM775
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Hate to say it but I wouldn't put it past them...

I was a member of a forum on another website a number of years ago, and the admin got exposed for looking at members PM's because he mentioned something that was only said only between two people using the Private Messaging System...
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hate to say it but I wouldn't put it past them...

I was a member of a forum on another website a number of years ago, and the admin got exposed for looking at members PM's because he mentioned something that was only said only between two people using the Private Messaging System...
If you have any concerns i'm sure they would be happy to talk to you about it in AtCS
username1339858_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If you have any concerns i'm sure they would be happy to talk to you about it in AtCS
Tbh, if anyone was doing that, they wouldn't own up to it, and they are not going to check what everyone is getting up to without proof.
There should be protocol in place and something whereby it can be seen if and when someone accesses anothers PM, like a receipt almost. If you click to see the PM, everyone will know who did that and that should be non erasable. That way you can see if someone was doing that without valid reason.

But personally, it would be quite sad of the person to read someone elses PM who he/she doesn't know nor talk to, I would like to think they have a better life than to do that.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Given that some of the people that use this site are quite young and still in school, for safeguarding reasons inevitably some level of oversight is required. Since it is only specific staff that will be able to check such things, and there are only specific situations in which they will do so, I don't see it as a huge issue. They will invariably have less insight into your messaging than your employer might have (since they will see all employee emails) or any social media sites would have (since not only will they see and actively moderate private messages, rather than only when flagged, they also will use the content of these to sell data to third party advertisers), so if you have no issue using facebook/instragram/whatsapp/twitter then TSR should be even less of a problem.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
ANM775
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Given that some of the people that use this site are quite young and still in school, for safeguarding reasons inevitably some level of oversight is required. Since it is only specific staff that will be able to check such things, and there are only specific situations in which they will do so, I don't see it as a huge issue. They will invariably have less insight into your messaging than your employer might have (since they will see all employee emails) or any social media sites would have (since not only will they see and actively moderate private messages, rather than only when flagged, they also will use the content of these to sell data to third party advertisers), so if you have no issue using facebook/instragram/whatsapp/twitter then TSR should be even less of a problem.
I don't believe humans are actively reading and moderating unflagged facebook messages. There must be at least a billion sent each month, and they simply don't have the staff.

As for employee email, you shouldn't be using it for third party stuff anyway ..so fair due's if your employer is monitoring it.

Also we don't know for sure that staff here only check them for specific situations, as like I said an admin for another site I visit got caught out reading PM's because he mentioned something two users had only said to each other between themselves in PMs. The admin initially tried to LIE too and deny he had looked at the PM's. but when asked how he knew that information, he had no answer for it, and that's how he was caught!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
18.8%
The paper was reasonable (145)
37.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
28.72%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
14.62%

Watched Threads