The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Hi everyone!
I'm writing my personal statement and I'm unsure whether I should include my future ambition relating to my chosen career in the future? Would it sound too far-fetched?
Yes, why not? I’d only include it if it’s relevant to your course though (eg physics -> I would like to work in research, psychology -> clinical psychology rather than english -> hr if that makes sense)
Original post by L2002
Hi everyone!
I'm writing my personal statement and I'm unsure whether I should include my future ambition relating to my chosen career in the future? Would it sound too far-fetched?

Hello, I would say that talking about your future career goals, and how the specific course at university can help you get there, would definitely not sound too far-fetched, but instead demonstrates that you have put a lot of thought into choosing a specific course at university! As long as the discussion about your future career ambition is focused, and relevant to the course you are applying for, I would argue it is something worth including :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
Yes, why not? I’d only include it if it’s relevant to your course though (eg physics -> I would like to work in research, psychology -> clinical psychology rather than english -> hr if that makes sense)

Thank you! Yes that makes sense :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, I would say that talking about your future career goals, and how the specific course at university can help you get there, would definitely not sound too far-fetched, but instead demonstrates that you have put a lot of thought into choosing a specific course at university! As long as the discussion about your future career ambition is focused, and relevant to the course you are applying for, I would argue it is something worth including :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)

Thank you so much for your reply!
Original post by L2002
Hi everyone!

It depends.

For example, economics admissions tutors don't like when students say they want to go into finance, as financial careers aren't very similar to academic economics.

As long as the career is academic in nature, it should be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by ellaharrison4
It depends.

For example, economics admissions tutors don't like when students say they want to go into finance, as financial careers aren't very similar to academic economics.

As long as the career is academic in nature, it should be fine.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending