Does university at undergraduate affect chances of success in graduate entry medicine

Watch
seyed1380
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
I am going to start uni this year at undergrad level. I have to options: warwick or coventry university. Assuming there is no difference in the courses, which uni you think is better? In fact I need more accurate information, as follows: (please structure your answer as I have done my questions) please note each number represents only one question and if you see more than one questions that is because I have repeated one question in different words to avoid misinterpretation

1. Is the fact that warwick is a better university directly important for GEM admission? In other words, would the GEM admissions team at medical schools consider the fact that warwick is a Russel group uni and so would put the students in warwick in a direct advantage (does the name of uni and if it is a Russel group uni matter?)

2. Do medical schools prefer internal applicants directly? So, if I go to Warwick, would the fact that I am an inyernal applicant to them increase my chance directly?

3. If I go to Warwick, would I get a better support eaither being work experience arrangement or admissions test classes etc. so that I would be in advantage when applying to warwick med school GEM?

4. Is there any other factor (other than name and reputation, being internal applicant or providing support) that would help me decide if warwick is better or coventry uni for me to get my Bsc from in order to have a direct or indirect higher chance for GEM at Warwick med school or the others?

Thank you in advance for your help

Seyed
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by seyed1380)
Hi,
I am going to start uni this year at undergrad level. I have to options: warwick or coventry university. Assuming there is no difference in the courses, which uni you think is better?
What course is it?

In fact I need more accurate information, as follows: (please structure your answer as I have done my questions) please note each number represents only one question and if you see more than one questions that is because I have repeated one question in different words to avoid misinterpretation

1. Is the fact that warwick is a better university directly important for GEM admission? In other words, would the GEM admissions team at medical schools consider the fact that warwick is a Russel group uni and so would put the students in warwick in a direct advantage (does the name of uni and if it is a Russel group uni matter?)
Nope, not at all. You can do a degree at Open University and then get in at Oxford / Cambridge GEM. Where you got your pre-GEM degree doesn't matter, and where you got your medicine degree doesn't matter for specialty application also.

Russell Group doesn't make the slightest different for Medicine - both before the degree, during your medical studies (RG is a research alliance and most med students don't do research) and afterwards (as a doctor).

2. Do medical schools prefer internal applicants directly? So, if I go to Warwick, would the fact that I am an inyernal applicant to them increase my chance directly?
Nope.

3. If I go to Warwick, would I get a better support eaither being work experience arrangement or admissions test classes etc. so that I would be in advantage when applying to warwick med school GEM?
I wouldn't have thought so, check with the posters in the Warwick forum.

4. Is there any other factor (other than name and reputation, being internal applicant or providing support) that would help me decide if warwick is better or coventry uni for me to get my Bsc from in order to have a direct or indirect higher chance for GEM at Warwick med school or the others?
Name and reputation doesn't matter at all!

In fact, you'd get a slight advantage studying at an "easier" uni to get your 1st class degree!
seyed1380
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
What course is it?
Hi and thank you very much for your time and patience to help me. It is neuroscience at Warwick and human biosciences at Coventry.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by seyed1380)
Hi and thank you very much for your time and patience to help me. It is neuroscience at Warwick and human biosciences at Coventry.
Excelelnt, well as I said it shouldn't really matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.67%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (39)
32.5%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.83%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.17%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.67%

Watched Threads