The Student Room Group

Universal credit while studying

Hey, I currently claim universal credit as i am a single mother who was made redundant during Covid. I start Uni full time in a couple weeks and have been told i will still receive UC but wont know how my claim will be affected until i update with my change of circumstances once i register on my course. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and how becoming a student affected their claim?
I am on the old system and they said i just had to notify them every time i get my maintenance loan installment's and i will probably not have housing benefit that month due to the extra income so you will probably have less payments in that month. The said my nhs bursary does not affect it so i assume all grants do not.
Original post by Lauren_michsmith
Hey, I currently claim universal credit as i am a single mother who was made redundant during Covid. I start Uni full time in a couple weeks and have been told i will still receive UC but wont know how my claim will be affected until i update with my change of circumstances once i register on my course. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and how becoming a student affected their claim?

If you’re getting a special element the first 3K is disregarded. For example; I’m getting a grant for parents learner allowance so, I’m getting special element. My first 3thousand something will be ignored. I also work part time so I think I’m going to get cancelled soon anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending