The Student Room Group

Mature applications - No GCSE’s

Hi,

I want to study at university but unsure of the prospects for a foreign mature student.

I am currently living, and working, in SW London. I am 25, and originally from Ireland. I left school at a young age due to mental health difficulties, and thus have no qualifications that allow entry to U.K. universities. I went back to school in Ireland, in my late teens, and got qualifications for university over there, but again, they don’t transfer here.

My question is, if I apply to study for three A-Levels this year, how might my prospects look to college’s if I don’t have GCSE’s?

I understand the solution would be to study for GCSE’s, but considering the current financial climate, I cannot guarantee that I will still have my job this time next year. Also, my work provides my home so you might be able to understand my anxiety, and need, to get it done within the year.

Sorry if this isn’t posted within the right forum. Also, I ask for serious answers only, and appreciate any help you can provide in regards to information. Thanks.
Original post by Cb1995
Hi,

I want to study at university but unsure of the prospects for a foreign mature student.

I am currently living, and working, in SW London. I am 25, and originally from Ireland. I left school at a young age due to mental health difficulties, and thus have no qualifications that allow entry to U.K. universities. I went back to school in Ireland, in my late teens, and got qualifications for university over there, but again, they don’t transfer here.

My question is, if I apply to study for three A-Levels this year, how might my prospects look to college’s if I don’t have GCSE’s?

I understand the solution would be to study for GCSE’s, but considering the current financial climate, I cannot guarantee that I will still have my job this time next year. Also, my work provides my home so you might be able to understand my anxiety, and need, to get it done within the year.

Sorry if this isn’t posted within the right forum. Also, I ask for serious answers only, and appreciate any help you can provide in regards to information. Thanks.

Think you are asking the wrong questions.
Are you sure your qualifications wont transfer? Irish Leaving Certificate (ILC, Ireland)?
Have you sorted out your MH issues?
Colleges normally require a 6 or 7 at GCSE to let you do the subject at A level.
Only a very few colleges do A levels, they take 2 years normally.

I suggest you consider an Access to HE course, which most colleges will run, dont require GCSE and only take a year.
You should still have GCSE English and Maths or equivalent. You can do those at the same time.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

You need to make sure you are prepared to work hard and will have enough time, although they are normally 3 days a week and people manage to work as well, since they are designed for mature students.

Which degree do you want to do?
If you are ready then you should be enrolling now.

Post in the mature students sub section.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Think you are asking the wrong questions.
Are you sure your qualifications wont transfer? Irish Leaving Certificate (ILC, Ireland)?
Have you sorted out your MH issues?
Colleges normally require a 6 or 7 at GCSE to let you do the subject at A level.
Only a very few colleges do A levels, they take 2 years normally.

I suggest you consider an Access to HE course, which most colleges will run, dont require GCSE and only take a year.
You should still have GCSE English and Maths or equivalent. You can do those at the same time.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

You need to make sure you are prepared to work hard and will have enough time, although they are normally 3 days a week and people manage to work as well, since they are designed for mature students.

Which degree do you want to do?
If you are ready then you should be enrolling now.

Post in the mature students sub section.

Hi,

My qualifications definitely do not transfer. They’re usually only acceptable at some universities in the U.K. for nursing but that is only if you gain course specific qualifications (which I don’t have, nor do I have any desire to study nursing). It’s a QQI/FETAC qualification I gained, and I have contacted many universities in regards to it but none of them accept it.

I should have been more specific when mentioning how I would study the A Levels - via open study or Oxbridge learning, etc. I have looked at Access courses but they all require GCSE’s and attendance during day time, which I cannot do due to my job. As I have said, we don’t do GCSE’s in my country, so therefore I never gained any.

I thought maybe a mature student might have a little more flexibility in regards to not having any GCSE’s. I am aware that anything I would do would require hard work, and I have time after working to commit to it. I just thought the A-Levels would allow more flexibility when it came study times, etc.

I want to study history, and yes, my MH is being controlled as best as possible through medication.
Reply 3
Hi!

I am Irish and living in the UK. I am starting a BA(Hons) this academic year as a mature student. My Leaving Cert results transferred over - no questions asked, Universities do accept them nationally. I got a D in Maths in Leaving Cert so I do have to do a GCSE Maths Equivalency test but my English (B) and Science (C) are no issue. I also have a FETAC award and that wasn't recognized but no problem gaining entry as it's down to GCSE/Leaving Cert results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending