Need healthcare professional opinions on this

Watch
aspiringgmedicc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have an essay right now and didnt know where else to ask, what is your opinion on a suicidal patient asking for DNACPR?
Against the mental capacity act, do they have capacity? This patient has no alcohol or substance misuse, they have had a history of alcohol addiction ten years ago but that has stopped now.
I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts on this.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by aspiringgmedicc)
I have an essay right now and didnt know where else to ask, what is your opinion on a suicidal patient asking for DNACPR?
Against the mental capacity act, do they have capacity? This patient has no alcohol or substance misuse, they have had a history of alcohol addiction ten years ago but that has stopped now.
The alcohol addiction 10 years ago and the fact that they are suicidal are only red herring.

It all boils down to: do they have capacity, and if not is it likely to be reversible with time and treatment.

Remember, however "silly" the decision a patient seems to make, medical professionals will have to respect that. It's the first pillar, out of the four pillar of ethics.

Here's more information from the Royal College of Psychiatrists: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-hea...ty-and-the-law
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
aspiringgmedicc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
The alcohol addiction 10 years ago and the fact that they are suicidal are only red herring.

It all boils down to: do they have capacity, and if not is it likely to be reversible with time and treatment.

Remember, however "silly" the decision a patient seems to make, medical professionals will have to respect that. It's the first pillar, out of the four pillar of ethics.

Here's more information from the Royal College of Psychiatrists: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-hea...ty-and-the-law
To have capacity, The Mental Capacity Act says a person is unable to make a decision if they cannot:
-Understand the information relevant to the decision
-Retain that information
-Use or weight up that information as part of the process of making the decision

The patient is able to do all of them so he does have the capacity to make decisions.

I just thought that because he is suicidal and a DNACPR would lead him to dying if he did have another heart attack, it would be some form of suicide without him directly taking his own life. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense in this sentence, I do hope you get where I am coming from. Sorry! I think the history of alcohol abuse and the fact they are suicidal is definitely a red herring.
suitepee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by aspiringgmedicc)
Is there any evidence of any impairment of the mind or brain? Has there been a thorough assessment of the individual's mental health including possibly a mental health act assessment? Any capacity assessment is time and decision specific so it would be important to consider that just because he may have had capacity in the past or in other areas, it may not mean he has capacity in another area at this moment in time.

There would need to be a very thorough capacity assessment. It's also worth considering that the individual's ability to weigh up information to make a decision may be impaired if they are severely depressed and acutely suicidal, which would mean that they would then lack capacity - I would say that this would be likely grounds to be able to trigger an assessment under the mental health act.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
28.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.1%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.27%

Watched Threads