IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I’m going to a new sixth form on the 7th and I’m going to be alone. A few people from my secondary school are going but we aren’t close. At first (before GCSE results day) there were around 4 of my friends going, 3 of them are going somewhere else because they thunk it would be better for them and one of them didn’t get the grades they needed. I’m really panicking because I have social anxiety and find making friends really hard, also with the added on stress of finding my way around and getting the bus every morning is making me really anxious. Please give some advice if you’ve been a similar situation before.
Angel cake 55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, you're gonna be absolutely fine. I know completely how you feel. I went into year 7 knowing no one into a private school full of children of big business peoples. Being the awkward and shy little kid i was, I immediately decided I had to literally stop being me and started acting in a way I thought people would like (how sad i know). So just remember to be yourself, let people like you for who you are. Make your friends wisely. Always remember why you are studying what you are studying. Make it a passion and not a chore and if im honest not having many friends wont be that big of a problem. Please please be confident, I mean dont fake it but make it a lifestyle. It sounds odd but give urself pep talks infront of the mirror. Ask questions if u get lost in the corridors ask that person what their name is ask if they wanna eat lunch with you stuff like that. Smiling rly helps even at strangers. Dont give up and always ask for advice but make sure to know which advice is good and bad. Stay strong and best wishesssss.
thank you for coming to my TED talk lollll
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It'll be alright - honestly, it will. Try to talk to those in your shared subjects - you have to spend some time with them anyway, and may end up with a gc or doing projects together, so it's a good place to start. Also, if there are any clubs/associations. And don't be afraid to try and interact with a pre-made friend group. They'll likely be 'missing' some members who have gone off elsewhere and so much is changing besides that they're more than happy to introduce more people. Just give yourself time and room to get settled. You'll be fine, but good luck all the same!

PS: as for getting lost, try asking one of the teachers/pastoral if you could have a map, possibly the same ones they give to the yr7s, or ask someone else in yr12 to give you a tour one break time. The tour can help you to make better friends with someone, but if you're not comfortable with it, then try exploring by yourself and/or getting a map.
IkathleenI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angel cake 55)
Hey, you're gonna be absolutely fine. I know completely how you feel. I went into year 7 knowing no one into a private school full of children of big business peoples. Being the awkward and shy little kid i was, I immediately decided I had to literally stop being me and started acting in a way I thought people would like (how sad i know). So just remember to be yourself, let people like you for who you are. Make your friends wisely. Always remember why you are studying what you are studying. Make it a passion and not a chore and if im honest not having many friends wont be that big of a problem. Please please be confident, I mean dont fake it but make it a lifestyle. It sounds odd but give urself pep talks infront of the mirror. Ask questions if u get lost in the corridors ask that person what their name is ask if they wanna eat lunch with you stuff like that. Smiling rly helps even at strangers. Dont give up and always ask for advice but make sure to know which advice is good and bad. Stay strong and best wishesssss.
thank you for coming to my TED talk lollll
Thank you so much, this is really helpful.
IkathleenI
Rep:
?
(Original post by OCorOOC6337)
It'll be alright - honestly, it will. Try to talk to those in your shared subjects - you have to spend some time with them anyway, and may end up with a gc or doing projects together, so it's a good place to start. Also, if there are any clubs/associations. And don't be afraid to try and interact with a pre-made friend group. They'll likely be 'missing' some members who have gone off elsewhere and so much is changing besides that they're more than happy to introduce more people. Just give yourself time and room to get settled. You'll be fine, but good luck all the same!

PS: as for getting lost, try asking one of the teachers/pastoral if you could have a map, possibly the same ones they give to the yr7s, or ask someone else in yr12 to give you a tour one break time. The tour can help you to make better friends with someone, but if you're not comfortable with it, then try exploring by yourself and/or getting a map.
Thank you for all the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.54%
I don't have everything I need (261)
44.46%

Watched Threads