Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
How many societies do people normally join? I have quite a few that I want to join but cannot narrow it down lol...and is it better to join like a leisure based soc or more job related soc or a mix?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How many societies do people normally join? I have quite a few that I want to join but cannot narrow it down lol...and is it better to join like a leisure based soc or more job related soc or a mix?
i wouldn't join more than 2.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

I joined 2 societies when I was at uni, one of them was more for socializing and didn't have events on every week and the events were optional so it didn't take up much time.

Some societies offer taster sessions for free at the start, so if this is the case with the ones you want to join you could attend a few taster sessions and see which ones you enjoy the most. If they are free and don't require you to attend every week you could join a few and then drop them if you become too busy.

Zaira
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It really depends on the societies you want to join, some meet up a lot more often than others. I've joined a sports club (which is pretty intensive) and two societies (which are both pretty casual, I go to an event maybe once or twice a month) -- one is related to my degree and the other is more fun
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by nathan1403)
It really depends on the societies you want to join, some meet up a lot more often than others. I've joined a sports club (which is pretty intensive) and two societies (which are both pretty casual, I go to an event maybe once or twice a month) -- one is related to my degree and the other is more fun
thing is for my uni we have to pay loads of sports federation, on campus, off campus fees. But then after that the sports club societies are not that expensive. So in that case would it be worth just joining one sports society?
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
thing is for my uni we have to pay loads of sports federation, on campus, off campus fees. But then after that the sports club societies are not that expensive. So in that case would it be worth just joining one sports society?
Yeah I get what you mean, doing sports is expensive but it's definitely worth it! It's a great way to stay healthy, take a break from studying, and make new friends
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi!

I wouldn't join more than 2! I had a list full of societies that I wanted to join too, but after taster sessions, I have lowered it down and only joined 1!!!!

There is no "better" society - it depends on what you like and what interests you. It may also depend on your schedule and free time - some societies take up a lot of hours

Marlena - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (23)
23%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (45)
45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4%

Watched Threads