Senketsu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm taking Physics and Computer science but I'm nor sure what the third would be. Should I do Chemistry or Biology?
Which is the harder subject?
Which is more memory-based?
Which offers the easier exam?
Which involves more math? (and how hard is that math?)
Which is more respected by Universities?
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
persoanlly im taking chemistry

imo bio seems a bit boring...just my opinion :/

but ik loads of ppl taking bio who love it
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did both biology and chemistry
I found not much difference in difficulty - they are difficult in their own ways
Biology is more memory based
Chemistry exams were easier for me (did OCR for both biology and chemistry). But in turn, the chemistry grade boundaries were much higher than the biology grade boundaries
Chemistry involves more maths. I didn't find the maths difficult (but I also did maths). You're doing physics and this will have much more maths than chemistry and biology so if you can do the maths in physics, you will be fine with the maths in chemistry
They are both very respectable subjects so just pick the one you feel like you will enjoy more
Senketsu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily5243)
I did both biology and chemistry
I found not much difference in difficulty - they are difficult in their own ways
Biology is more memory based
Chemistry exams were easier for me (did OCR for both biology and chemistry). But in turn, the chemistry grade boundaries were much higher than the biology grade boundaries
Chemistry involves more maths. I didn't find the maths difficult (but I also did maths). You're doing physics and this will have much more maths than chemistry and biology so if you can do the maths in physics, you will be fine with the maths in chemistry
They are both very respectable subjects so just pick the one you feel like you will enjoy more
Cheers!
lollolokjob
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who does Chemistry and Physics (in y13) and friends who do Biology and Chemistry:

- Chemistry is seen as the harder subject, in terms of the step-up from GCSE --> A level, the jump in chemistry is much larger than in Biology.
- Biology is much more memory based from what I've heard. A level chemistry is a lot about learning specific reaction mechanisms and what actually happens during a reaction rather than just remembering what happens (like in GCSE) this requires you to have a more solid understanding of what is actually happening rather than just remembering.
- Not sure about the exams, my friends who do Bio and Chem get worse grades in Chemistry compared to Biology (if that helps answer your question)
- As far as I am aware both offer an amount of math that is quite similar. But it's different, in Bio, the math is to do with animal population models etc (iirc) whilst in chemistry it is similar to GCSE as in titrations, rate of reactions (but obviously stepped up in difficulty)
- IMO chemistry is more useful in university applications.

On an unrelated note:
With Physics and Comp Sci I think you should seriously consider Maths as your third option. Rather than Chem or Bio, I know many times in Y12 where I would have been lost in a Physics lesson if it weren't for Maths, and this only continues to be the trend in Y13.

Hope this helps
amccolgan812
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Senketsu)
I'm taking Physics and Computer science but I'm nor sure what the third would be. Should I do Chemistry or Biology?
Hi, I did both A Level Biology and Chemistry. Personally I found Biology harder than Chemistry, mainly because there is a bigger workload with Biology. There is a lot of essays to learn in Biology, but no essays in Chemistry. Both are memory-based, but as i said, biology requires you to actually learn more material. Both involve an element of basic maths, we do Quantitative Chemistry, which I liked and didn't find too difficult.In biology there are also statistics in some topics which isn't hard. I would tend to think that Chemistry is more respected, but it really depends on what university you are applying to and what course you are hoping to go into. If i were to do just one i would personally go with Chemistry, but my best advice is to look at what your course requires/prefers
amccolgan812
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did both A Level Biology and Chemistry. Personally I found Biology harder than Chemistry, mainly because there is a bigger workload with Biology. There is a lot of essays to learn in Biology, but no essays in Chemistry. Both are memory-based, but as i said, biology requires you to actually learn more material. Both involve an element of basic maths, we do Quantitative Chemistry, which I liked and didn't find too difficult.In biology there are also statistics in some topics which isn't hard. I would tend to think that Chemistry is more respected, but it really depends on what university you are applying to and what course you are hoping to go into. If i were to do just one I would personally go with Chemistry, but my best advice is to look at what your course requires/prefers.
minasqrd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also took physics and computer science for my a-levels. I took maths as my third subject and I think you should consider doing to too. Maths will open up a hell of a lot more doors for you in the future and it's also a preferred subject :-).
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Senketsu)
harder? Depends on the individual
Biology
Depends on the person
Chem (not too bad)
Both, why would they not be respected? It also depends on the course you want to do so check the entry requirements before making a decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (86)
14.03%
I'm not sure (29)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (193)
31.48%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (292)
47.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed