ejz17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Would it be possible to go to a uni for 1 year and at the end transfer to a better uni afterwards (doing the same course).
username5358764
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ejz17)
Would it be possible to go to a uni for 1 year and at the end transfer to a better uni afterwards (doing the same course).
Yes, but it would be up to the university to decide whether they place you in second year or first year again. Also, you would have to go through the process on UCAS, and apply as anyone else would. As far as I am aware, universities for the most part do not do direct transfers.
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ejz17)
Yes, happens quite often, but I'm not sure if all unis do that. It's best to email your target university and ask them.
ejz17
Rep:
?
(Original post by sang-jun)
Yes, but it would be up to the university to decide whether they place you in second year or first year again. Also, you would have to go through the process on UCAS, and apply as anyone else would. As far as I am aware, universities for the most part do not do direct transfers.
The situation that I am in right now is I have achieved D*DD in my BTEC and 5s in my maths and english language gcses and am currently going to start uni this september at Reading university. I believe that I could go somewhere better to do my LLB law course, but I would either have to take a gap year or transfer. My family isnt really into the idea of me taking a gap year. Should I take a gap year or transfer?
username5358764
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ejz17)
The situation that I am in right now is I have achieved D*DD in my BTEC and 5s in my maths and english language gcses and am currently going to start uni this september at Reading university. I believe that I could go somewhere better to do my LLB law course, but I would either have to take a gap year or transfer. My family isnt really into the idea of me taking a gap year. Should I take a gap year or transfer?
Hmm. The issue is, if you transfer from Reading to another university, you would have integrated yourself within the Reading community, as well as all of the socieities and people. In fact, staying at Reading may be detrimental to your psychological well-being, as the thought of transferring after a year may stop you from exploring and having a good time with the university. I would take a gap year, but in that gap year, I would make use of all of the spare time through finding valid internships and experience, as well as developing yourself as a person. This is ultimately your decision. In fact, come to think of it, there is nothing wrong with transferring after a year. I suppose the thought of leaving after a year made me think that it would restrict your ability to become a more developed person, but to be honest, you may as well integrate yourself there. University is so much fun, and believe me, it will be a life-changing experience. Even if you leave after a year, you will not regret leaving, as you would have made so many memories, as well as having emmersed yourself into new experiences.

Apologies for contradicting myself. I write my TSR answers along with how I am feeling. I would stay at Reading, and consider that year to be a gap year in the sense of being able to develop yourself as a person.
Last edited by username5358764; 4 months ago
ejz17
Rep:
?
(Original post by sang-jun)
Hmm. The issue is, if you transfer from Reading to another university, you would have integrated yourself within the Reading community, as well as all of the socieities and people. In fact, staying at Reading may be detrimental to your psychological well-being, as the thought of transferring after a year may stop you from exploring and having a good time with the university. I would take a gap year, but in that gap year, I would make use of all of the spare time through finding valid internships and experience, as well as developing yourself as a person. This is ultimately your decision. In fact, come to think of it, there is nothing wrong with transferring after a year. I suppose the thought of leaving after a year made me think that it would restrict your ability to become a more developed person, but to be honest, you may as well integrate yourself there. University is so much fun, and believe me, it will be a life-changing experience. Even if you leave after a year, you will not regret leaving, as you would have made so many memories, as well as having emmersed yourself into new experiences.

Apologies for contradicting myself. I write my TSR answers along with how I am feeling. I would stay at Reading, and consider that year to be a gap year in the sense of being able to develop yourself as a person.
Another thing apparantly its very difficult to transfer from a uni like reading to lets say a russel group uni. Is it worth going through that risk or would it be better to take a gap year?
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you're sure you don't want to go to Reading, take a gap year and don't go to Reading. There's no guarantee that you'd be able to transfer, especially if you don't meet the entry requirements. Reading isn't a bad uni though - would you consider just doing your whole degree at Reading?

A friend did what you want to do (transfering to a "better" uni on the same course), but part of her conditions for her new offer was that she retook one of her A-levels so that she met their entry requirements, and she had to redo first year.
username5358764
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ejz17)
Another thing apparantly its very difficult to transfer from a uni like reading to lets say a russel group uni. Is it worth going through that risk or would it be better to take a gap year?
Can you site the references where it states that it is difficult to transfer from a university like Reading to a Russell Group? Universities do not care about how you get there; so as long as you meet all of the requirements, and that from your UCAS application, you seem a viable candidate to complete the degree, they will take you.
ejz17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Desideri)
If you're sure you don't want to go to Reading, take a gap year and don't go to Reading. There's no guarantee that you'd be able to transfer, especially if you don't meet the entry requirements. Reading isn't a bad uni though - would you consider just doing your whole degree at Reading?

A friend did what you want to do (transfering to a "better" uni on the same course), but part of her conditions for her new offer was that she retook one of her A-levels so that she met their entry requirements, and she had to redo first year.
The thing is I want to work in a top law firm such as magic circle or something around that level, and I dont think studying at Reading would get me there. I know how your uni choice effects you oppurtunity of working in a big law firm as they mainly target good unis.
Last edited by ejz17; 4 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ejz17)
The thing isI want to work in a top law firm such as magic circle or something around that level, and I dont think studying at Reading would get me there.
So don’t go to Reading.

Transfers for qualifying law degrees are complicated because you need an exact match of first year topics.

To transfer into year 2 of a degree you’ll need a close/exact match of first year topics, to meet the standard entry requirements for first year entry and good first year marks. Transfers aren’t a backdoor to avoid entry requirements.
ejz17
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
So don’t go to Reading.

Transfers for qualifying law degrees are complicated because you need an exact match of first year topics.

To transfer into year 2 of a degree you’ll need a close/exact match of first year topics, to meet the standard entry requirements for first year entry and good first year marks. Transfers aren’t a backdoor to avoid entry requirements.
Ok thanks for the input im going to try get into queen marys and if that doesnt work im going to take a gap year. Thanks for your time.
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think once you spend a year there you’ll change your mind and not want to leave. It’s a good uni and nice area and you’ll probably meet lots of people. I think people get too caught up in uni league places and forget about the experience. You may end up less happy at another uni, and also a degree is a degree. So I’ll say spend a year there first and if you really don’t like which I doubt then make a transfer but I say go for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (65)
66.33%
I don't have everything I need (33)
33.67%

Watched Threads