The Student Room Group

Mum is experiencing financial problems and is depressed

I feel very worried about my mum being depressed and experiencing financial problems. She works a pro hour contract and didn't have any work during lockdown and now her hours have been dramatically reduced. My dad has never been in the picture and never offered any financial help. I will be going to uni this year.

I have offered to help my mum write a new cv and look for more work but she has declined my offer. I also offered to do the cooking and cleaning but she doesn't want to eat, and I did the cleaning nonetheless to reduce pressures for her. I don't know what else to do it makes me sad seeing her like this, she was a young mum so it was never easy but I feel like she has reached a new low in terms of the difficulties she is experiencing right now.
Reply 1
*she works a zero hour contract

I forgot to add that she no longer wants to take her antidepressants and she claims they make her tired and she doesn't want to be on any medication.
Original post by Anonymous
*she works a zero hour contract

I forgot to add that she no longer wants to take her antidepressants and she claims they make her tired and she doesn't want to be on any medication.

Tell her to go back to her GP, there are different types of meds for depression, not everything works for everyone, she might need to try a couple to find the right one.
Reply 3
Yes, your mum should go to her GP, otherwise she's going to be in a cycle of mental health affecting her physical health and vice versa, if she's not eating and worrying about how to cope. Is there another family member or trusted adult you could get to talk to her? I know this sounds awful but, as much as you love your mum, you can't put your life on hold to do everything for her as you could end up resenting it, and she may not improve without professional help and you'll be caught up in this long-term.

As regards finances, there may be benefits she is entitled to. This link is pretty daunting, so it may be easier to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and talk to them about what she could claim. The CAB have been really helpful to those I know who used it.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
Reply 4
Just PM me. I feel I can help, just PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest