The Student Room Group

Civil Service Summer Diversity Internship Programme 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what to do if you can't cover the last 3 years of employment history? I've been employed on and off at various places but I can't reach the required 3 years like they ask.

Do I just answer with no for the question 'Have you been employed within the last 3 years?' even though I have but not for the full 3 year period?
Hi everyone. Probably a silly question but when my offer/jobs portal states Cabinet Office - does this mean that is it my department, or more likely just generic as they administer the entire SDIP scheme?

Thanks
Reply 782
Original post by geley1131
Hi everyone. Probably a silly question but when my offer/jobs portal states Cabinet Office - does this mean that is it my department, or more likely just generic as they administer the entire SDIP scheme?

Thanks

Its a generic term for the SDIP Scheme :smile: x
Still waiting for my Civil Service jobs portal to update after 2 weeks since my pre-employment documents were accepted -- Should I be worried?
Original post by oliviaminor
Still waiting for my Civil Service jobs portal to update after 2 weeks since my pre-employment documents were accepted -- Should I be worried?

Don’t be! I had to wait a good few weeks from sending my documents to the offer appearing on the portal. As long as you do everything they ask it should be okay
Hi Guys, quick question.
If an internship was an unpaid work experience, should this be included in the employment section?
Does anyone know how many people this year applied for SDIP and how many were successful? Just curious x
Original post by aminamarshallx
Does anyone know how many people this year applied for SDIP and how many were successful? Just curious x

We thought there was 500 posts as that's what it says in the job offer but unsure how many applied! 60,000 applied for Fast Stream apparently though
Original post by tsrpol
We thought there was 500 posts as that's what it says in the job offer but unsure how many applied! 60,000 applied for Fast Stream apparently though

Some of these 500 posts will be for those who deferred last year due to the SDIP not happening
Original post by MvcLaw
Has anyone else had their pre-employment checks completed but for conviction checks? They’re taking ages to do the conviction checks but I literally don’t have anything for them to check 😂

@MvcLaw did your checks get sorted? Like you, I'm also stuck at the conviction check but there's nothing to check and my DBS is done.

If yes, what comes next? If anyone else has gotten to the end aswell, I would really appreciate an answer.
Original post by iba980
I got this too! Security and Defence/international humanitarian were one of my options too :smile:

Have you heard anything since? It feels a bit odd not sending anything in at all!

Also hello everyone, I have been lurking here since November and only just got my offer yesterday, nice to meet you all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 791
Original post by jkbjhvghc
Have you heard anything since? It feels a bit odd not sending anything in at all!

Also hello everyone, I have been lurking here since November and only just got my offer yesterday, nice to meet you all.

Hey everyone, just received an offer yesterday! I've also received an email stating 'We have recently been informed by the SDIP team, that the checks that are required for the scheme will be conducted by the department hosting you during your placement'. I assume I won't have to send in anything before the department contact me, right? Also, can anyone who's gone through the checks let me know about what they ask for? I'm an EU national so better safe than sorry. Thanks a lot!!
Is there any way of guessing what department we will be in haha? I haven't had the generic 'you will be contacted by your department' email and my checks are almost done. I did have the generic email from the 'government recruitment team' asking for checks in the first place then a further email from the 'cabinet office recruitment team' saying that they need more info as part of the 'onboarding process' - but that's about it.

Confused why I didn't get the email about the 'you will be contacted by your department' - sorry, I know this is probably an irrelevant question, I'm just excited and impatient haha xx
Original post by Kiriy22
@MvcLaw did your checks get sorted? Like you, I'm also stuck at the conviction check but there's nothing to check and my DBS is done.

If yes, what comes next? If anyone else has gotten to the end aswell, I would really appreciate an answer.

Hi, my conviction checks (non existent) were completed after a couple of days then I got an email to say the checks were complete and my department would contact me shortly but they haven’t yet
Original post by wdaaaa
Hey everyone, just received an offer yesterday! I've also received an email stating 'We have recently been informed by the SDIP team, that the checks that are required for the scheme will be conducted by the department hosting you during your placement'. I assume I won't have to send in anything before the department contact me, right? Also, can anyone who's gone through the checks let me know about what they ask for? I'm an EU national so better safe than sorry. Thanks a lot!!

I'm EU national also (home student though) and they ask for your settled status code but other then that just standard questions really
Reply 795
Original post by lilypadt2000
Is there any way of guessing what department we will be in haha?

I have a theory for narrowing down the departments we will be placed in!

So, either people were asked to email documents directly, or were told that the department hosting them would do the checks... Which to me suggests that those who were told the department hosting them would do the checks, have a higher security?

Then it is more likely, that you were placed in Home Office, Defence or Foreign Office etc, departments which all require higher security levels. If you just sent over your documents by email, then you are probably on a lower security level and unlikely to be placed in those higher security departments.

Anecdotal, but someone I know who did the SDIP a few years ago ended up in Home Office, and she was also told her department would do her document checks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 796
tsr won't let me post the link here but if you're interested in joining a whatsapp group chat for offer holders PM me and i will send you the link :smile:
Reply 797
Original post by tsrpol
I'm EU national also (home student though) and they ask for your settled status code but other then that just standard questions really

Amazing, thanks a lot! Great to meet a fellow EU national too.
In terms of the checks and dbs mine was done very quickly. I submitted the form asking about my employment history, where I live, references and past jobs etc plus the information required to perform the dbs.

About 2 days later they contacted all my references, and then my DBS was complete the day after.

I got a email today that stated “Your pre-employment checks have been satisfactorily completed.

The vacancy holder will contact you shortly to agree your start date or confirm what will happen next.”

I’m guessing this means I’ll find out my department in the next week or so? However I’m not sure about the higher security checks because all 3 of my choices (Foreign Office, Cabinet and Defence) would likely require more checks too?
Original post by Duffy97
In terms of the checks and dbs mine was done very quickly. I submitted the form asking about my employment history, where I live, references and past jobs etc plus the information required to perform the dbs.

About 2 days later they contacted all my references, and then my DBS was complete the day after.

I got a email today that stated “Your pre-employment checks have been satisfactorily completed.

The vacancy holder will contact you shortly to agree your start date or confirm what will happen next.”

I’m guessing this means I’ll find out my department in the next week or so? However I’m not sure about the higher security checks because all 3 of my choices (Foreign Office, Cabinet and Defence) would likely require more checks too?

I got the email to say my checks were completed and my department would be in touch, but that was last Friday so almost a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending