The Student Room Group

Data science/analysis vs UX designer?

which one is more demanding?
Original post by nox9281
which one is more demanding?

What do you mean by more demanding? Regardless of the question you're asking, the answer is almost certainly really subjective. User Experience Design and Data Analysis are two very different fields, with not a ton to compare between them. And what one person claims is "demanding" may not be demanding to someone else.

What exactly are you trying to find out here and why?
Reply 2
Original post by AcseI
What do you mean by more demanding? Regardless of the question you're asking, the answer is almost certainly really subjective. User Experience Design and Data Analysis are two very different fields, with not a ton to compare between them. And what one person claims is "demanding" may not be demanding to someone else.

What exactly are you trying to find out here and why?

i have a computing degree, done some databases and some design. Can go into both fields. Just want to see which one is more viable.
Original post by nox9281
i have a computing degree, done some databases and some design. Can go into both fields. Just want to see which one is more viable.

It's still not entirely clear what you mean by demanding though. Demanding as in the workload? This will vary from job to job and one won't consistently be more demanding than another. What's demanding work for one person may not be that demanding for someone else.

In terms of viability, you've said you can go into either which makes them both "viable". But it sounds like you need to do more research (use Google, TSR isn't going to be full of people experienced enough to help) to decide which one is better for you. Having some experience with databases and design is not necessarily enough to make them completely viable options for you, and I feel like if you've done some stuff before but don't have a clear goal to go for one or the other then maybe neither is right for you. But really it sounds like you just need to do more research
They are quite different fields. UX researchers spend their time designing user interfaces (typically for desktop, mobile and web applications.) They also do research and user studies to determine how usable a particular interface is (e.g. think-aloud studies to see how usable a website sign-up page is.)

Data science is about applying statistical models to huge data sets to solve business problems. E.g. suppose a company wants to learn about the attitudes of British people towards COVID-19. A data scientist might write some code to create a dump of all tweets with the hashtag #covid19, and apply a text-classification algorithm (e.g. one based on naive Bayes) to determine people's attitudes.

Which one is more demanding? Depends on you tbh. If you're not the best at statistics then data science may be more demanding than UX research. If you're good at statistics but not good with people then UX research may be more demanding.

There's also software engineering, which is what I do. There's quite alot of software engineering jobs at the moment.
Data science sit's within Computer science & software nicely.
UX is more concered with physcology, social sciences within a system.

I was naturally analytical in my thinking + enjoyed computer science. UX ( the area i work ) has been very challenging, but very rewarding! Although, I feel more comfortable within the realms of computer science and miss munipulating large volumes of data.

Then again, spending all data quantifying numbers coul become tiresome, if your not interested in the themes?
Im thinking of moving into Big Data masters abroad soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending