https://order-order.com/2020/09/02/e...gh-their-head/

They should be proscribed IMHO.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In fairness i imagine most of the people he wants shot wouldnt object to seeing him being gunned down.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
When they started stopping tube and DLR trains, the least polluting forms of transport after walking and cycling, they lost any sympathy from me. After blocking Oxford Circus where almost no-one travels there by car.

Valid cause, wrong methods.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A bunch of cranks, basically.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)

Trust a website such as Guido to spin it as such. The accompanying laugh makes this seem more like a joke than a genuine belief.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
When they started stopping tube and DLR trains, the least polluting forms of transport after walking and cycling, they lost any sympathy from me. After blocking Oxford Circus where almost no-one travels there by car.

Valid cause, wrong methods.
Yeah, for self-proclaimed environmentalists they have no idea how public transport is actually a good thing for the environment.
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Trust a website such as Guido to spin it as such. The accompanying laugh makes this seem more like a joke than a genuine belief.
That might be the case, but the leader of a serious political movement shouldn't joke about killing opponents in a way that evokes memories of dictatorships led by people who share many of his political views. Can you imagine the outrage if Nigel Farage had ”jokingly” talked about dropping Labour supporters out of helicopters?

Besides, if you watch the video and look at his movement's calls for making ”ecocide” a crime I think you can work out that he isn't joking.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

XR have already basically expelled him from the movement, to be fair.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
That only says that XR Germany kicked him out unless I misread the article - all the British branches of XR did was condemn his remarks.

Given that individual branches of XR have a lot of autonomy compared to, say, individual Conservative associations, one branch saying he's not welcome doesn't mean a lot.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That only says that XR Germany kicked him out unless I misread the article - all the British branches of XR did was condemn his remarks.

Given that individual branches of XR have a lot of autonomy compared to, say, individual Conservative associations, one branch saying he's not welcome doesn't mean a lot.
Well, an XR spokesperson explicitly distanced themselves from Hallam and noted he "no longer holds a formal role in Extinction Rebellion." He has largely moved on from XR and started trying to run his own new political movement. Sure, their being a largely decentralised group makes it harder for them to exclude people completely, but it also makes it very difficult to ban or proscribe them, because there's not really anything to ban.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That might be the case, but the leader of a serious political movement shouldn't joke about killing opponents in a way that evokes memories of dictatorships led by people who share many of his political views. Can you imagine the outrage if Nigel Farage had ”jokingly” talked about dropping Labour supporters out of helicopters?

Besides, if you watch the video and look at his movement's calls for making ”ecocide” a crime I think you can work out that he isn't joking.
You can argue that it was unwise for him to suggest it, even as a joke, but to act like this was a serious statement is a bit too far.

He may believe that "ecocide" should be a crime but that isn't relevant to whether he genuinely wants to kill anyone.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by anarchism101)
Well, an XR spokesperson explicitly distanced themselves from Hallam and noted he "no longer holds a formal role in Extinction Rebellion." He has largely moved on from XR and started trying to run his own new political movement. Sure, their being a largely decentralised group makes it harder for them to exclude people completely, but it also makes it very difficult to ban or proscribe them, because there's not really anything to ban.
Is his new movement called Beyond Politics by any chance and do they go around wearing pink balaclavas?

Decentralised groups have been proscribed before - National Action was decentralised and the Home Office still managed to proscribe it.
(Original post by SHallowvale)
You can argue that it was unwise for him to suggest it, even as a joke,
And as I said, even if he was joking it's unwise for anyone with any role in any political organisation to joke about attacking opponents in a way that was used by dictatorships which share some of that person's beliefs. If Nigel Farage ”joked” about giving Momentum members ”free helicopter rides” there would be an outcry and the same should apply for Hallam's ”joke”.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And as I said, even if he was joking it's unwise for anyone with any role in any political organisation to joke about attacking opponents in a way that was used by dictatorships which share some of that person's beliefs. If Nigel Farage ”joked” about giving Momentum members ”free helicopter rides” there would be an outcry and the same should apply for Hallam's ”joke”.
Sure, although I think Nigel Farage's case would be at least slightly different since he's a much more well known public figure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads