Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm gonna be starting Uni in a couple weeks and I'll be hoping to keep my car with me at sheffield. I was hoping if anyone knew some free places to park near The Pinnacles because they have 5 spaces for parking and its a grand to park in them.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'm gonna be starting Uni in a couple weeks and I'll be hoping to keep my car with me at sheffield. I was hoping if anyone knew some free places to park near The Pinnacles because they have 5 spaces for parking and its a grand to park in them.
I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you. There's no way you'll be able to get free parking near or on student accommodation in a city. Your best bet is to look at whether or not you're eligible for a council parking permit to park on-street. It will be a lot cheaper than £1k but you're not guaranteed a parking space most likely.

I'll tag hallamstudents, maybe they will have some specific information.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 4 months ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't. It will be lots of hassle. I haven't lived in Sheffield for a long time, but parking in the centre is going to be difficult / expensive. Do you really need a car with you?
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Nowhere very near there will have free parking, as it's pretty central.

You'd probably have to find a residential road to park in, a mile or so away. There's on road parking in areas like Wybourn and I don't think that it's residents only, but I'm not 100%

But then if your car's going to be a mile away, you have to think whether it's still worth having it in Sheffield (and obviously you'd probably want to go check on it now and again)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Don't. It will be lots of hassle. I haven't lived in Sheffield for a long time, but parking in the centre is going to be difficult / expensive. Do you really need a car with you?
Dont need to park in the centre. and Yes I do I've wanted to drive for as long as I can remember and I passed my test 2 weeks ago and I've been driving for that long and its a big hobby also pizza delivery as a job isnt bad while at uni.
Anonymous #1
Also itd make things easier if I'm shopping.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As others have said, you'll likely struggle locally. Remember you are far from the first student to have ran into this and both the uni and locals will be v entrenched in their views and policies. There will be a reason the spaces cost a grand, at mine you had to buy a permit for £90 every calendar year and it takes 8 weeks+ to process...so they're basically telling students to 'f off, don't park here'

As I said to another user lately, if you tried even pulling over in any of the residential streets near my old uni you'd be literally chased off. complaints to the uni if you don't hop it. Every other street for about a mile is very double yellowed.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
I am also looking to bring my car as I’ll be having placements at hospitals. Do you know if the uni does discounted parking at hospitals e.g royal hallamshire for students. I live like 30 minutes from central.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
As others have said, you'll likely struggle locally. Remember you are far from the first student to have ran into this and both the uni and locals will be v entrenched in their views and policies. There will be a reason the spaces cost a grand, at mine you had to buy a permit for £90 every calendar year and it takes 8 weeks+ to process...so they're basically telling students to 'f off, don't park here'

As I said to another user lately, if you tried even pulling over in any of the residential streets near my old uni you'd be literally chased off. complaints to the uni if you don't hop it. Every other street for about a mile is very double yellowed.
I dont need it local. I'd be happy to walk a mile or 2 to it.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Dont need to park in the centre. and Yes I do I've wanted to drive for as long as I can remember and I passed my test 2 weeks ago and I've been driving for that long and its a big hobby also pizza delivery as a job isnt bad while at uni.
If this is just a "want", then it'll get old quite soon, especially if your car gets stolen. It looks like you may be able to find on-street parking within a mile. However, it's in what used to be a dodgey area. You're right next to the supertram (and busses), so have excellent transport links.

Whatever your experience, it'd be good to update this thread, for those thinking of doing the same in future.

Enjoy Sheffield - it's my hometown (although I haven't lived there since leaving for university, I'm in California now).
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.47%
I don't have everything I need (212)
43.53%

Watched Threads