kelpic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
In general and compared to PT? What about compared to a social science course?
Occupation 25
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It depends in the university. But 75% of the course is essay writing. 20% presentations. You will have some exams in there also.

My advise is just do the best you can. Your essay writing skills will improve. Learn your anatomy because you will have some placements such as stroke, or elderly medicine.
Last edited by Occupation 25; 8 months ago
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Occupation 25)
It depends in the university. But 75% of the course is essay writing. 20% presentations. You will have some exams in there also.

My advise is just do the best you can. Your essay writing skills will improve. Learn your anatomy because you will have some placements such as stroke, or elderly medicine.
is there a main anatomy/physiology module usually or does it tend to be integrated into a specifically OT module?
Occupation 25
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by kelpic)
is there a main anatomy/physiology module usually or does it tend to be integrated into a specifically OT module?
There is a specific anatomy module yes that you must pass. It depends on the university.

But let me be truly honest with you, most OT i have met have limit anatomy knowledge.
For example, one of my mentors did not even know what or where the glenohumeral joint is.
I am not knocking her, because she was a good OT, she knew her work, but her A and P was limited.
A and P will give you a leg up in physical placements but, its not especial to be honest.
Also that what is good about OT, even when you graduate, you never truly feel as though you know everything. It's a life long learning career.
kelpic
Rep:
?

Just some exams? Only about 5% then?
Occupation 25
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just some exams? Only about 5% then?
Yeah. It depends on the university
kelpic
Rep:
?
Yeah. It depends on the university
So even those that have more essay writing than others still don't have a huge amount, like not more than 10% or something?
jpSoc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
OT isn't an easy option if thats why you are asking. Only choose OT if you think it's the career for you. It's very interesting and diverse, the theory is a mix of Psychology, Sociology and Philosophy with A&P. In OT your are required to do different types of essays to prepare you for practice. I have just completed my first year OT, I had 2 reflective essays, 1 case study essay, 1 written A&P assignment, 1 written assessment on a chosen occupation and a group presentation with PowerPoint and written notes. You also have opportunities to provide written assignment plans to submit for each assignment/essay and dont forget your practice placements (7 weeks in the first year there is more time on placement in 2nd and 3rd year ) and reflective writing on your experience but we have no formal exams. Prior to this I completed a first year social science with 3 modules, I found the essays easier for this course than OT, I had 6 marked essays and sat 3 formal exams. I hope this helps.
Occupation 25
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jpSoc)
OT isn't an easy option if thats why you are asking. Only choose OT if you think it's the career for you. It's very interesting and diverse, the theory is a mix of Psychology, Sociology and Philosophy with A&P. In OT your are required to do different types of essays to prepare you for practice. I have just completed my first year OT, I had 2 reflective essays, 1 case study essay, 1 written A&P assignment, 1 written assessment on a chosen occupation and a group presentation with PowerPoint and written notes. You also have opportunities to provide written assignment plans to submit for each assignment/essay and dont forget your practice placements (7 weeks in the first year there is more time on placement in 2nd and 3rd year ) and reflective writing on your experience but we have no formal exams. Prior to this I completed a first year social science with 3 modules, I found the essays easier for this course than OT, I had 6 marked essays and sat 3 formal exams. I hope this helps.
Yep it is exactly as you describe. In 2nd year you may have an exam, depending on which university you are in. To be honest the exam will be a walk in the park compared to 2nd and 3rd year essay.
Ah yes reflective essays. Every OT will sarcastically tell you they love a good reflective essay🤯.
I did ot and dont want to discourage kelpic or anyone else who were planning to pursue this career. So may have sugar coated a little. Yeah, you are right OT is very intense. You have to complete approx 1000 hours of clinical practice, which is spand over 4 placements.
Plus doing assignments simultaneously. It's not easy, but time management is the key.

But then again, no degree is easy. If OT is your calling, then these are little niggles that you will overcome. Go and do it.
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by jpSoc)
So during the practice placement weeks there are no lectures at all? How many hours per day is it?
Occupation 25
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So during the practice placement weeks there are no lectures at all? How many hours per day is it?
No lectures during placement. But you will have assignments to submit. How it works is this. You are assignment a mentor on your placements. This is a qualified OT with 2 plus years of experience ( usually a Band 6). You have to work the same shift pattern as your mentor. This is quite common especially when you are a 1st year. You have to be closely supervised. Or generally work 37.5 hours a week for 5 days. Occasionally some week ends. That's 7.5 hours per day.
Also in placement you have to be proactive with research. You will have to deliver a case study presentation at the end of the placement to show that you understand the OT process in your work area
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by jpSoc)
A social science course with only 3 modules? What course was it??
How come you found OT essays harder?
jpSoc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A social science course with only 3 modules? What course was it??
How come you found OT essays harder?
One of the modules had three subjects included politics, criminology and disability studies and the other two modules were race and inequality and social policy. I believe I found social science essays easier because they were the usual written in the third person academic style essay. Until starting OT I had never written a reflective essay or case study and used a theoretical practice model to apply to an individual's occupational circumstances. It's all a learning curve, I think some dont realise there is a lot of theory behind OT but I am really pleased I chose OT and if it's what you want to do then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (193)
74.81%
No (65)
25.19%

Watched Threads