Lafaith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I know this has been asked before but my situations a little different. I'm 21 years old a new wife and mother, and aspire to work hard for a good career in accounting. I'm from Canada and currently on the UK on spouse visas, which means I won't be able to go to university here without paying over 40k a year international student fees. However, in 7 years time I can qualify for student loans and pay the normal 9k a year. I'm able to do my AAT and even ACCA if I want to online for a really affordable price from companies like avado, which will allow me to have a decent family life, work full time (any job for now while actively looking for trainee accountant roles etc), and study my AAT's. I'm also totally willing to do my AAT's now, even ACCA, then do my university degree after in 7 years time.

I'm just trying to figure out the best path. I'm a hardworking person and aspire for a good career. I wouldn't want to be held back later down my life because I didn't go to university etc. But I don't know it if would be worth it since I'll likely have landed a basic accounting job and finished my AAT's by the time I could go to university.

Any thoughts?

Finance and Accountancy Careers Content Blocks

Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you could always do an apprenticeship earn money whilst achieving a qualification
K1NE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lafaith)
I know this has been asked before but my situations a little different. I'm 21 years old a new wife and mother, and aspire to work hard for a good career in accounting. I'm from Canada and currently on the UK on spouse visas, which means I won't be able to go to university here without paying over 40k a year international student fees. However, in 7 years time I can qualify for student loans and pay the normal 9k a year. I'm able to do my AAT and even ACCA if I want to online for a really affordable price from companies like avado, which will allow me to have a decent family life, work full time (any job for now while actively looking for trainee accountant roles etc), and study my AAT's. I'm also totally willing to do my AAT's now, even ACCA, then do my university degree after in 7 years time.

I'm just trying to figure out the best path. I'm a hardworking person and aspire for a good career. I wouldn't want to be held back later down my life because I didn't go to university etc. But I don't know it if would be worth it since I'll likely have landed a basic accounting job and finished my AAT's by the time I could go to university.

Any thoughts?
I would advise you to do your AAT and then do your ACA/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA (which ever accounting body you decide to train with) You may get exemptions in ACCA for example if you complete your AAT... You do not need a degree to have a successful accounting career. I've met senior finance professionals who do not have degrees and are doing well for themselves i.e earning +£100k and even more. These people were a members of a Chartered Accounting body though i.e ACA/ACCA/CIMA. Your lack of degree won't hold you back in accounting. I would encourage you to look for an accounting role that can sponsor your AAT. The sooner you start a role in accounting the better your prospects going forward. To really open most doors in accounting, the ultimate goal should be to become Chartered.

As a starting point AAT + relevant experience is much more appealing than a degree in accounting and finance to employers. This is because most who study AAT have already been working in an accounting role and have some level of experience. AAT may also give you more exemptions than most accounting and finance degrees.

Thinking about it, you're actually in a good position if you start your AAT right now and then do your Chartership after this. There are always going to be some snobby finance professionals who might be insistent on a degree but would you really want to work for people like that ? Most hiring managers I've met would not be concerned if you have a degree or not, they will just care if you can do the job and have the relevant experience.

Maybe after you've finished you'll be able to assess if a degree is something worth pursuing but my personal advice is that a degree for a career in accounting is not worth it. See if you can find a company to sponsor your AAT and build up your experience. Just means you do not have the take on the cost of your training. Most companies sponsor ACCA exams too. If you complete your ACA/ACCA/CIMA (which ever you decide to pursue) you will find that these professional qualifications hold way more value than an Accounting and Finance degree. Most senior jobs if you're thinking 10 years down the line post qualifying will only be interested if you've qualified as an ACA/ACCA/CIMA etc... This will be the minimum requirement, not if you have a degree.
Advertisement
humyra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I’m doing a course with the open university as I want to go down the route of accountancy. My chosen degree course is BA(honours) business management (Accounting) is this ok for accounting or will it affect anything. Would appreciate if someone could help out x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (1)
100%

Watched Threads