xlisax_02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hi! i am just wondering if anyone did an access course at 18? i left school with only 2 AS levels (chemistry and physics). i repeated year 12 so i am 18 now. i found it really hard so i decided not to continue to A level and tried to look for alternatives. i found an access course for nursing. is there anyone my age who will be doing an access course?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by xlisax_02)
hi! i am just wondering if anyone did an access course at 18? i left school with only 2 AS levels (chemistry and physics). i repeated year 12 so i am 18 now. i found it really hard so i decided not to continue to A level and tried to look for alternatives. i found an access course for nursing. is there anyone my age who will be doing an access course?
I doubt it because access courses are designed for older people and I think the minimum age is 19. You could check directly with the college though and also discuss with them the entry requirements in terms of GCSEs as you may need English and Maths GCSE if you don't already have them?
xlisax_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I doubt it because access courses are designed for older people and I think the minimum age is 19. You could check directly with the college though and also discuss with them the entry requirements in terms of GCSEs as you may need English and Maths GCSE if you don't already have them?
I am thinking of applying to Distance Learning Centre or Learndirect for Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Nursing and Midwifery). I have checked with the centres and they say they can accept me at 18. i am also turning 19 next jan. In terms of entry requirements, I have already met them. I got B for both english and math.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am thinking of applying to Distance Learning Centre or Learndirect for Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Nursing and Midwifery). I have checked with the centres and they say they can accept me at 18. i am also turning 19 next jan. In terms of entry requirements, I have already met them. I got B for both english and math.
Ok distance learning is different - I don't think you will find many other 18 year olds in your position since most would be retaking A levels at school/college but if you have found something that works better for you, great.
username5384002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi i am not even 18 yet (17) and i am doing an access course. I do it with distance learning centre.
Last edited by username5384002; 3 months ago
Ale10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm planning to do the same. Do you have to pay for the access course. I'm 18
xlisax_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ale10)
I'm planning to do the same. Do you have to pay for the access course. I'm 18
Yes you would have to if you’re 18 because you wouldn’t be eligible for the student loan
Tom.Nook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm doing an access course with Distance Learning Centre, though admittedly I'm older than 18. Let me know if you have any questions about DLC though.
Ale10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Tom.Nook)
I'm doing an access course with Distance Learning Centre, though admittedly I'm older than 18. Let me know if you have any questions about DLC though.
Do you like it. How it's the learning support
Tom.Nook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ale10)
Do you like it. How it's the learning support
I guess part of it comes down to your learning style, AKA whether you're able to self motivate to get work done at home rather than going to class. For me, it's brilliant, and I'm glad I went with DLC over any other online providers. As far as distance learning goes, the support is really great. You're assigned a personal tutor who will make sure you're keeping on top of deadlines for your goal, and if there's bits on the course you don't understand or need extra help with, you just email your tutor and they can either help break it down on email or arrange a skype/phone call. There's also a Facebook group for current students which is quite useful if you have a random question at 11pm at night, as there's tonnes of people all studying the same modules etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (165)
59.35%
I don't have everything I need (113)
40.65%

Watched Threads