Coffee192
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Which is better for law out of philosophy and history? I can only do one and I enjoy them both. I was originally set on doing history, but i've become very interested in philosophy and i know that parts of it relate to law. Will Oxbridge regard philosophy as a hard/respected subject? I'm also doing English lit, German and psychology (I have to start with 4)
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
there’s no requirements for law so pick which one you’ll enjoy more. history is a typical subject for law but philosophy is also a good essay subject and tbh i think choosing something different might help you stand out?
Coffee192
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
there’s no requirements for law so pick which one you’ll enjoy more. history is a typical subject for law but philosophy is also a good essay subject and tbh i think choosing something different might help you stand out?
Are they both regarded as "strong" subjects?
OpusGCSE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I do both and Philosophy is definitely my favourite content wise, that being said I think top unis do prefer history as it's a "facilitating subject". I don't think it matters aggressively, especially if your other choices are all "strong subjects" - it's more important to get the grades in whichever you choose
Coffee192
Rep:
?
(Original post by OpusGCSE)
I do both and Philosophy is definitely my favourite content wise, that being said I think top unis do prefer history as it's a "facilitating subject". I don't think it matters aggressively, especially if your other choices are all "strong subjects" - it's more important to get the grades in whichever you choose
The content for philosophy does look so interesting, but apparently it's really hard (AQA pure philosophy). I'm a bit unsure about one of the history topics (the tudors). I'm really not sure
Coffee192
Rep:
?
(Original post by OpusGCSE)
The content for philosophy does look so interesting, but apparently it's really hard (AQA pure philosophy). I'm a bit unsure about one of the history topics (the tudors). I'm really not sure
OpusGCSE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Coffee192)
I do OCR for philo and AQA Stuarts so can't really comment on difficulty but I'd go for whichever one you prefer and can see yourself succeeding in! Good luck !!
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are they both regarded as "strong" subjects?
yeah i think they’re both pretty strong. history is a facilitating subject but i dont think universities even prefer them anymore. all that matters is you get a good grade. i’ve only done history out of the two and it was my hardest subject.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As there's no requirements, do what you think you'll enjoy more.

I did AQA History - The Tudors and The Russian Revolution, and OCR RS (which was 1/3 philosophy) so I can maybe answer any questions you have
Coffee192
Rep:
?
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
As there's no requirements, do what you think you'll enjoy more.

I did AQA History - The Tudors and The Russian Revolution, and OCR RS (which was 1/3 philosophy) so I can maybe answer any questions you have
I would also be doing AQA A Level history, but i'm a bit sceptical about the tudors because i've never done it before and i don't know if i'd find the tudors a bit boring!
Coffee192
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
yeah i think they’re both pretty strong. history is a facilitating subject but i dont think universities even prefer them anymore. all that matters is you get a good grade. i’ve only done history out of the two and it was my hardest subject.
which history topics did you do? I would be doing the tudors, but it looks very complicated and i don't know much about the tudors, so i dk if i'll find it boring or not
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would also be doing AQA A Level history, but i'm a bit sceptical about the tudors because i've never done it before and i don't know if i'd find the tudors a bit boring!
I really enjoy Medieval history, but I know for a lot of people it can be a bit boring, which makes it hard to revise
One thing with History is to do well, you do have to enjoy what you're studying.
What I do suggest is maybe you could do some reading about the Tudors and see if you're interested? Or watch some documentaries? David Starkey's are really good, and The Winter King is an interesting watch about Henry VII!
If you can't stand it, then I think you have your answer haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (761)
42.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads