Want more information about this university?

University of Sheffield Biology with a Year Abroad Student - Ask Me Anything

Watch
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone! My name is Daniel and I'm about to start my third year of the Biology with a Year Abroad course at The University of Sheffield.

During my first year I lived in Crescent Flats within the Endcliffe student village and had an absolutely amazing itme. However, now I am living in private accomodation in Crookesmoor - around 15 minutes from the Student's Union.

In first year I played rugby for the Sheffield University Rugby Football Club, was First Year Representative for the Biology Society, a member of my department's Student-Staff Committee, a volunteer at the Sheffield Botanical Gardens, and I volunteered in a local primary school to give lessons on conservation.

I spent my second year at The University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. Whilst abroad I was able to study the weird and wonderful biodiverstiy found only in that region of the globe. During my time there I played rugby for the Linwood Bulls, started rock climbing, skydived, hiked, went caving, and skiied - just to name a few!

I'm back in Sheffield now and I'm looking forward to the year ahead. In the coming year I am looking to join The Sheffield Music Player's society as a guitarist or saxophonist.

I will be online every Thursday to answer any questions you have related to Sheffield, biology, studying abroad, accomodation, or anything else about university really! If you'd like a quicker response, just look for my name on The Access Platform available at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Daniel
Third Year
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
Advertisement
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd just add some information about courses I've studied as part of my degree.

In my first year at Sheffield I studied: Animal Physiology, Reproduction, Development and Growth; Plant Physiology, Reproduction and Growth; Molecular and Cellular Biology; Population and Community Ecology; Genes in Populations; Skills for Biologists; Evolution; Animal Behaviour; Biodiversity; and Ecosystems, Climate, and Environmental Change.

The biology course at Sheffield offers a lot of optional modules exploring a range of topics to ensure that students have a wide knowledge base to prepare them for the rest of their course. My favourite modules during my first year were: Plant Physiology, Reproduction and Growth, Animal Behaviour, and Population and Community Ecology. My lecturers on these courses were fantastic and in each case I found the subject matter both challenging yet highly engaging.

My second year of university was spent at The University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand so I was able to choose from a wide range of courses. Whilst abroad I studied: Plant Physiology; Vertebrate Biology; Resource and Environmental Management; New Zealand Biodiversity and Biosecurity; Marine Biology and Ecology; Cell Biology; Plant Biotechnology; and Evolutionary Ecology. The biology courses offered in New Zealand allowed me to gain an international perspective to my understanding of biological sciences and to study biodiversity endemic to the region.

Daniel
Third Year
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.49%
I'm not sure (32)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (356)
48.5%

Watched Threads