The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Official Birkbeck, University of London 2021 applicant chat

:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Birkbeck, University of London for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manooka

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Birkbeck, University of London for 2021!

Well, either the Uni will be empty or no one uses The Student Room :colondollar:

Either way I am starting a Foundation for Business and Management this year but thinking of going to Birkbeck from next year, likely doing Accounting and Management with Finance. Currently working for a financial services firm full time so I needed the flexibility that comes with the evening classes.

Are you @Manooka already studying there or planning to from next year?
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Reply 2
birkbeck website and all this online learning a bit confusing, but I have enrolled to do LLB degree after 23 years leaving secondary school.
currently a london black cabbie lets see how it goes :smile:
Hi I'm Kylie and I have an offer for language with film/media.

I'm currently studying English Language, Media and Photography.
Reply 4
Original post by 3Cheers4Death
Hi I'm Kylie and I have an offer for language with film/media.

I'm currently studying English Language, Media and Photography.

When did you send your application and when did you get your offer
Original post by Yacinemer
When did you send your application and when did you get your offer

I sent my application in the beginning of December, and got an offer on the 12th of December(it was really quick!)
Reply 6
Congrats!!! I applied but they haven’t sent an email confirming my application but my other unis did, did they send you a welcome or confirmation email???
Original post by Yacinemer
Congrats!!! I applied but they haven’t sent an email confirming my application but my other unis did, did they send you a welcome or confirmation email???

Unlike the other uni's I applied to, Birkbeck didn't acknowledge my application until I got an email from admissions on my offer. When did you apply?
Original post by Manooka

Hiya,
I’m planning to study a BSc in economics or with a foundation year and was wondering if majority of people there are mature students. I’m going to be finishing my a levels and studying an undergrad there straight away but I’m unsure if I’ll be able to find people my age.
Also another question is what are questions that could come up in an interview, I have mine in a couple of days 😭
I had a quick change of heart and I decided to apply here - I only just sent off my application so wish me luck.

I have applied for linguistics and language! Anyone else?
Reply 10
I just got an offer for Msc IT today. It took them 4 weeks to send me the offer.
Reply 11
Hi, I've applied for Culinary Industry Management - anyone else? (-:
Currently doing Biology, Psychology and Geography A levels, and AS Maths.
Hey, I have applied for the Higher Education Introductory Studies programme :smile: If I get accepted I'm hoping to go on to study Learning Disability Nursing.
Reply 13
Hi,

I have received a conditional offer for LLM in International Economic Law, Justice and Development. The condition of a 2:2 is pretty low though. Is Birbeck a good university?
Original post by Hadiraf
Hi,

I have received a conditional offer for LLM in International Economic Law, JHeyeustice and Development. The condition of a 2:2 is pretty low though. Is Birbeck a good university?

I'm currently at Birkbeck doing a second undergrad and I figured I'd reply as I don't see many Birkbeck folks on here (probably because many are also working full time, unlike me, lol). Anyway, my experience has been great. It's probably not ideal for people who are looking for the full 'uni experience' but if you're done with that kind of thing, it's good and the research output is solid. Birkbeck admissions are generally pretty low, partially because there is an ethos of welcoming people from all backgrounds into higher education. In my experience, this has made for a very rich learning environment, as there are people of all ages, from all walks of life, learning together. Might not be for everyone though! :smile:
Hey everyone,

So i work full time and have a family. After years i decided to do MSc Data Science and just did my aptitude test and thought it was 50/50 so fingers crossed! I studied Information Technology in the past and since then I was working on an unrelated field.
Hey, I've been offered a place to do Classical archaeology MA starting October :smile: I'm 21 feel free to message if anyone's doing the same course I'd love to get to know people.
As a former student at Birkbeck, I can hopefully share some hints for prospective applicants. For one, do not believe their marketing materials as they often embellish the College`s reputation, facilities and future work opportunities. I would also be wary of the studying remotely, as Birkbeck made a mess of distance-learning making the UNI experience felling more like a one-man band. Birkbeck is already a unusual evening-based educational experience, therefore, I would think that meeting other students in the evening would be fundemental for peer support and mutual encourangement. So, if this is not going to possible, it may be a big issue. For those of you who have interviews, bear in mind the the entry barriers at BBK are very low, and they will accept most students (despite they claim otherwise).

To respond to a post in here which goes: "I have received a conditional offer for LLM in International Economic Law, Justice and Development. The condition of a 2:2 is pretty low though. Is Birbeck a good university?". The answer is NO. If you have a 2.1 or above, go elsewhere. Do not fall in for the convenience for being easily accepted, good things often do not come easy and the same goes for education.
When it comes to getting a job in the UK, are online degrees frowned upon? Will it limit my options?(I hope to immigrate to the UK as a dependent soon, my partner is a student of STEM in the UK, graduates in Sept. and will find a job soon. I am a content writer (a primary function of marketing) and have 4 years of experience. However, I want to move from the creative side of marketing to the technical, operational one –*maybe foray into content management and marketing. I don't want to spend 30,000 GBP on getting an MSc degree full time, given my experience, former education, financial situation, and the fact that I would have to immigrate. But I do want to learn and get a degree since I don't have a degree in Mass Communication, Digital Marketing, or Journalism.(Which is sometimes a requirement for jobs in marketing, especially as an immigrant)I recently came across a degree offered by the Birkbeck which costs 6300 GBP and is a distance learning/online one. Will the degree increase my chances of getting a relevant job or limit them? Really confused! All help and comments appreciated.
Original post by LizzieStudies
When it comes to getting a job in the UK, are online degrees frowned upon? Will it limit my options?(I hope to immigrate to the UK as a dependent soon, my partner is a student of STEM in the UK, graduates in Sept. and will find a job soon. I am a content writer (a primary function of marketing) and have 4 years of experience. However, I want to move from the creative side of marketing to the technical, operational one –*maybe foray into content management and marketing. I don't want to spend 30,000 GBP on getting an MSc degree full time, given my experience, former education, financial situation, and the fact that I would have to immigrate. But I do want to learn and get a degree since I don't have a degree in Mass Communication, Digital Marketing, or Journalism.(Which is sometimes a requirement for jobs in marketing, especially as an immigrant)I recently came across a degree offered by the Birkbeck which costs 6300 GBP and is a distance learning/online one. Will the degree increase my chances of getting a relevant job or limit them? Really confused! All help and comments appreciated.

Online degrees are NOT frowned upon just for being distance-learning. If anything, they show that one can be a self-discliplined learner, as distance-learning degree can be a lot of harder. So this should not be a factor. Also consider that distance learning courses are often more flexible and allow modular enrolment. So you can study a foundation year (1st year of undegraduate) over 2 years for example. I would focus more on what you learn, and the quality of the material which you would have access to. £6,300 sounds like the price for a Diploma, not an MSc. My advice would be not to overthink this and fixate upon having a degree at all costs. If you have four years` experience in the field, a degree may not be required. If you can work when you move to the UK, I'd suggest you put yourself forward in job market and see what response you get. Alternatively, try and enrol in one module at level 4, which would the first year of an undegraduate degree. To answer your question, any degree would increase your chances in absolute terms, but there is a considerable amount of time and investment required to increase those chances. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending