Official University of Bristol 2021 applicant chat

Watch
Manooka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to the University of Bristol for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
charlieday1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey everyone, my names Molly (big fan of Always Sunny in Philadelphia). Looking to apply for Music at Bristol. It's one of my top two choices. Currently studying Music, English Lit and History Anyone else wanting to do music at bristol?
nightloc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi im thinking of applying for maths&economics. im currently studying maths, further maths, economics and politics.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Current Bristol finalist here, happy to answer any questions about uni life, accommodation, pretty much anything! Also will be applying to Bristol as a postgrad so checking in too!
LouAlice
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’m applying to Bristol for maths, currently studying biology, chemistry, maths and further maths
Jessieeeeeeeeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Applying to do law at Bristol, currently studying Maths, Economics and History.
charlieday1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jessieeeeeeeeee)
Applying to do law at Bristol, currently studying Maths, Economics and History.
Hey, my name Molly. I’m currently studying history at A Level, what courses are you studying?
ella.pheobexo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
whats the accommodation like?
PASP29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Daughter is a post qualification applicant to Bristol for English - she was sorely tempted to go this year but in the end had it down as insurance (firmed Durham) and took a gap year as concerned what the 2020 experience will be for those going to either.

She is therefore applying again for 2021 to Oxbridge but hopefully will get an offer from Bristol again. She loved the 'feel' of the Uni and City, the accommodation (especially Stoke Bishop) on her visit to their Open Day pre-lockdown. Hope they don't bear grudges for re-applicants?
ruthlessrulerk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys! I am wondering if anyone's applying for MA Law? How competitive is the course? I have a First class degree from KCL and wonder if I have a good shot. How long does it usually take to hear back from uni?
RpurB18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PASP29)
Daughter is a post qualification applicant to Bristol for English - she was sorely tempted to go this year but in the end had it down as insurance (firmed Durham) and took a gap year as concerned what the 2020 experience will be for those going to either.

She is therefore applying again for 2021 to Oxbridge but hopefully will get an offer from Bristol again. She loved the 'feel' of the Uni and City, the accommodation (especially Stoke Bishop) on her visit to their Open Day pre-lockdown. Hope they don't bear grudges for re-applicants?
Don't be worried about reapplying. I reapplied last year and will be going into my first year this year. There were definitely no grudges held!
nyx2911
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Current Bristol finalist here, happy to answer any questions about uni life, accommodation, pretty much anything! Also will be applying to Bristol as a postgrad so checking in too!
hi, im applying for ug law 2021 right now. I'm confused between durham and bristol - why would you recommend bristol over durhamn?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nyx2911)
hi, im applying for ug law 2021 right now. I'm confused between durham and bristol - why would you recommend bristol over durhamn?
Having a quick peek at this year's law rankings, Durham places higher than Bristol, but in terms of world rankings, Bristol is in the top 10 according to QS. In my opinion, both have a similar reputation of being some of the more prestigious Russell Group universities. I would say that graduate prospects are very important - Bristol is consistently in the top ten universities targeted by top graduate employers (have a look at the High Fliers guide - https://www.highfliers.co.uk/downloa...GM20Report.pdf - page 6). I'm not a law student so I don't have a great deal of knowledge, but many of my friends who applied for vac schemes and training contracts have been very successful. I know that the Bristol Law Society does a good job of hosting conferences etc. with magic circle firms similar to other top unis, so in this regard if you work hard you have just as a good chance as everyone else, (maybe better ).

I think it kind of comes down to what you want - if you're looking for a collegiate system in the likes of Oxbridge, Durham is your best bet (and regardless, both unis are known for being the dumping grounds of Oxbridge rejects). However, I knew I wanted a university that was based in a large city, was vibrant, had a good music scene and was rather work hard-play hard. Around 1/4 of my sixth form ended up at Durham, and a similar number at Bristol, and all those studying at Durham who have come to visit have said the night life there is pretty awful and wished they had gone elsewhere. If you have the chance to, visiting the cities would be great as you can then get a feel (although I don't know how feasible this is going to be in the current climate). As cliché as it sounds, after visiting Bristol I knew I wanted to go there!
From a student POV (and I cannot speak for Durham - you'll have to ask someone who goes there) the facilities at Bristol are excellent - The Wills Memorial Building - where the Law School is based - is stunning and my favourite place to study! Student support is excellent (I had some study issues this year and found the university to be more than helpful and give me the support I needed). You also have a great mix of people from both the state and private sectors, and to be honest, everyone blends in really well and is on the whole really accepting - Durham has been in the news for not so good reasons (but then again I'm biased ).

I will mention some cons of Bristol - hailing from the capital, I found that Bristol was actually pretty similar and price and shockingly expensive in general. Rent isn't as cheap as the north, so if money is a factor I would suggest that going up north would be better (having said this, people do get by and I guess if you're quick enough you can bag the cheaper houses in second year!).

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time at Bristol so far - so much so I'm going to be applying again this year (for postgrad)! If you have any more specific questions (e.g. accommodation) do let me know and I'll be very happy to help. Best of luck with your application!
nyx2911
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having a quick peek at this year's law rankings, Durham places higher than Bristol, but in terms of world rankings, Bristol is in the top 10 according to QS. In my opinion, both have a similar reputation of being some of the more prestigious Russell Group universities. I would say that graduate prospects are very important - Bristol is consistently in the top ten universities targeted by top graduate employers (have a look at the High Fliers guide - https://www.highfliers.co.uk/downloa...GM20Report.pdf - page 6). I'm not a law student so I don't have a great deal of knowledge, but many of my friends who applied for vac schemes and training contracts have been very successful. I know that the Bristol Law Society does a good job of hosting conferences etc. with magic circle firms similar to other top unis, so in this regard if you work hard you have just as a good chance as everyone else, (maybe better ).

I think it kind of comes down to what you want - if you're looking for a collegiate system in the likes of Oxbridge, Durham is your best bet (and regardless, both unis are known for being the dumping grounds of Oxbridge rejects). However, I knew I wanted a university that was based in a large city, was vibrant, had a good music scene and was rather work hard-play hard. Around 1/4 of my sixth form ended up at Durham, and a similar number at Bristol, and all those studying at Durham who have come to visit have said the night life there is pretty awful and wished they had gone elsewhere. If you have the chance to, visiting the cities would be great as you can then get a feel (although I don't know how feasible this is going to be in the current climate). As cliché as it sounds, after visiting Bristol I knew I wanted to go there!
From a student POV (and I cannot speak for Durham - you'll have to ask someone who goes there) the facilities at Bristol are excellent - The Wills Memorial Building - where the Law School is based - is stunning and my favourite place to study! Student support is excellent (I had some study issues this year and found the university to be more than helpful and give me the support I needed). You also have a great mix of people from both the state and private sectors, and to be honest, everyone blends in really well and is on the whole really accepting - Durham has been in the news for not so good reasons (but then again I'm biased ).

I will mention some cons of Bristol - hailing from the capital, I found that Bristol was actually pretty similar and price and shockingly expensive in general. Rent isn't as cheap as the north, so if money is a factor I would suggest that going up north would be better (having said this, people do get by and I guess if you're quick enough you can bag the cheaper houses in second year!).

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time at Bristol so far - so much so I'm going to be applying again this year (for postgrad)! If you have any more specific questions (e.g. accommodation) do let me know and I'll be very happy to help. Best of luck with your application!
This was really insightful! I cant visit the campus right now because I’m an international student. I don’t think i would gel well in the collegiate system that Durham has and hm i saw the news recently about a certain incident. Shall keep these tips in mind

Thank you for the prompt reply :”)
PASP29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This is excellent info and does chime with the pros and cons that my daughter felt too about both Unis and Cities.
PASP29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RpurB18)
Don't be worried about reapplying. I reapplied last year and will be going into my first year this year. There were definitely no grudges held!
V reassuring to hear that - thank you! Enjoy and good luck when you get there.
mxx454
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello i’m applying for biomed and i’m currently studying biology, chemistry and maths.
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
current Bristol fresher for Maths & Computer Science (MEng) - any questions about application process or any other queries, drop me a message. Best of luck guys, Bristol is a great university.
fakharl
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Manooka)
:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to the University of Bristol for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
I am applying for medicine in 2021
nyx2911
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
has anyone sent in their application yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads