Askme 1236
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Any tips for when looking for a a first car?
Nazmeenbee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go for low mileage
I'd recommend a vw Polo really reliable cars and cheap on fuel too!
roo02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Askme 1236)
Any tips for when looking for a a first car?
Bit off the wall here: I owned a Renault modus, and as a first car it was brilliant. Never had an issue with it.

It's got a lot of bootspace, however rear legroom room is lacking in the normal modus - see if you can find one with a long wheelbase, or opt for the grand modus, which has adjustable rear seats.

very nippy for a first car! I have a diesel 1.4 that pushes 90hp and is still super cheap to insure as nobody but old men drive it. Only issue with performance is that it rolls a bit since its quite high off the ground and tall. It gets 50 mpg on B roads, and about 40 in the city. I did 90 from Cornwall to London and still hit 45 mpg.

Or a clio, they're great too! In all honesty having been given the option again, I would have tried for an equally specced clio, although the insurance is quite high.

Fiat Punto's are good, six gears too which may come in handy

polo's or golf's too. Expensive to buy but very reliable, especially the mk 4 (which also happens to be the best looking of that era.) If you can afford it, go for the 1.9 tdi, it's the only engine capable of breaking the sound barrier and all the other dads fear it.
Last edited by roo02; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads